Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Full version VS upgrade
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
I usually don't buy upgrade versions because they require previous version to be installed. is this the case with Cyberlink software? If i had to reinstall PD12 upgrade, would I have to reinstall PD11 and then PD12? Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I usually don't buy upgrade versions because they require previous version to be installed. is this the case with Cyberlink software? If i had to reinstall PD12 upgrade, would I have to reinstall PD11 and then PD12?

Gary, I have seen it both ways. I know that sometimes (and I can't tell when) it only asks for the previous version key; in other cases I have had to re-install the previous version(s). It is a pain if you have to do an upgrade from an old version. Each one requires the "next" one to be installed. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
Especially when you have 20 or 30 apps to install plus 'updates' to all those apps too. LOL PD11 was my first Cyberlink app and wondering if i should buy the upgrade or full version of PD12. Upgrade is a good price right now.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 28. 2013 10:48

Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
[Post New]
I'm no expert here but it seems to me that the upgrade is the same as the "full" version based on the file sizes of the upgrade.
BillyR
Senior Member Location: Southeast US Joined: Jun 19, 2013 14:33 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
It can be a pain, but you save a lot of money by upgrading, especially now with a big discount. Upgrade versions are the same as the full versions except upgrades require you to own a previous version of the software. Sometimes it has to be installed on your machine, sometimes, as noted previously, you need only provide the previous version key. I wasn't planning to upgrade just yet, but the deal on v12, plus I thought I might like to try Color Director, prompted me to upgrade. I'm glad I did, since Color Director seems to work very well. Dell Precision 7510 Laptop
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit | Intel(R) XEON(R) CPU E3-1505M v5 @2.80 GHz
RAM: 32 GB
Windows Experience Index 7.5
GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Sometimes it has to be installed on your machine, sometimes, as noted previously, you need only provide the previous version key.
So which is it with Cyberlink? or does Cyberlink use both methods? Providing the previous install key isn't a big deal, but having to reinstall an old version can be. Buying the full boxed version would be worth the few extra dollars to me in this case. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
BillyR
Senior Member Location: Southeast US Joined: Jun 19, 2013 14:33 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
I'm fairly new to Cyberlink, having started with Version 10 which I used very little of before going back to my previous program, staying there for a year or so and then coming back to PD. As I recall, the previous version has to be installed on your machine to upgrade. It's a pain, but you pays yer money and you takes yer choice. Dell Precision 7510 Laptop
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit | Intel(R) XEON(R) CPU E3-1505M v5 @2.80 GHz
RAM: 32 GB
Windows Experience Index 7.5
GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks... I'll just pay the extra $20US or so for the full boxed version. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA