Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is there a way to slow down the production process?
[Post New]
When producing videos PD sometimes heats my computer in excess of 200 degrees. At around 215 my computer turns off. I was told this heat governor was a safety mechanism. I have to monitor the temperature with SpeenFan and pause the render process whenever it gets over 200 degrees. I let it cool back down then I resume the production. Depending on the project, I may have to pause every 5 seconds or so. Obviously, this is a huge pain. So I was wondering if there was a way to slow down the production process in hopes that it would create less heat.

Other things I have tried include using a cooling pad (always), resting my laptop directly on top of a powerful fan, removing the shell of the laptop to allow better airflow, and I even stuck it in the freezer. All of those methods work to a minor degree, but none are a foolproof way to produce my videos without having the computer shut itself down.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated :
 Filename
jhodgskDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
80 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
264 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 30. 2013 22:37

PowerDirector Ultra 11 always up-to-date
Serial# VDE130812-01
Anti-virus: Windows Defender
No codec packs
No other video editing program
No burning software
Other applications are closed when using PD
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Have you tried to blow the dust out of the cooling vents? That system should not have a cooling problem. What type of video are you using and what are you producing to? Are you adding any effects? __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
What is the model MSI? Is there a consumer alert on your model? Is there an MSI forum, maybe other owners have had heat issues.
Jaime is correct is asking you to blow out any vents.
My DV7 (HP) has a reputation of running hot, but never gets over 200F, even when encoding/rendering. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
[Post New]
Jamie - I did that about two months ago, and I just did it again for good measure. They were pretty clean. As far as video types, I have only used standard definition. Most of my projects are AVI, but I have also tested out MPG, MP4, MOV, FLV, MKV and image files. As a matter of fact, I just did a test where I used a single 1mb JPG and added a 24mb MOV file into part of it (to make it look like video playing on the TV in the picture. The total duration was 35 seconds. It brought my computer's temp to just under 200 by the end of the rendering effort. No effects were applied, and I tried producing into every available format. My target was the full HD range 1920X1080.

Barry - The MSI is a CX61. I had it custom made by XOTIC PC. I spoke with them about the heat problem and they said I would need to send my laptop back in order for them to take a look. Estimated minimum time without my computer is 1 month. I have a whole mess of projects that I need to finish up and pump out, so that isn't an option until after I finish. But this heat issue is delaying me. It's a real catch-22. That's why I was thinking about possibly slowing down the rendering/production process in hopes of reducing heat output.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 30. 2013 23:52

Serial# VDE130812-01
No codec packs
No burning software
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Maybe you can break your larger projects into smaller pieces, then slap them together, and using SVRT so there is no re-encoding, your machine may not heat up. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
My last laptop (HP Pavilion 7000series i7) used to overheat when rendering to the point where it would switch itself off. I resolved the problem by limiting CPU usage to 90% in the advanced power options IIRC.

p.s. I agree with the need to ensure that all vents are clear. I have also always used a laptop rest with built in fans driven through a USB connection which I power by an external power supply.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 31. 2013 09:16

[Post New]
Barry - That is the method I have adopted. My projects are broken down to 1-6 minutes each. I did not know about SVRT though. I am eager to give it a whirl. Thanks!

Longedge - In the advanced options is it the "maximum processor state" that you adjusted? (screenshot: http://puu.sh/54JRR.png) I lowered that to 70% and am now going to run some tests. Thanks for the tip!

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 31. 2013 10:39

Serial# VDE130812-01
No codec packs
No burning software
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Longedge - In the advanced options is it the "maximum processor state" that you adjusted? (screenshot: http://puu.sh/54JRR.png) I lowered that to 70% and am now going to run some tests. Thanks for the tip!

Yes - that's it.

I think I put mine down to 90% and that did the trick, 70% sounds a bit too low to me.
[Post New]
It worked! Thanks so much. Now I can incrementally raise the power level until I find the sweet spot.

Question: What does the up arrow next to the quote button on these posts do? OS: Windows 8.1 (64 bit)
Serial# VDE130812-01
No codec packs
No burning software
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: It worked! Thanks so much. Now I can incrementally raise the power level until I find the sweet spot.

Question: What does the up arrow next to the quote button on these posts do?

Good job!

The arrow takes me to the top of the thread i.e. the first post in the thread. I imagine that is what it's supposed to do
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Good work around.

Xotic definitely needs to have a look at their build after you are done your projects.
Do you hear your fan(s) going into jet scream mode when they try to cool down your system?

No matter what you throw at your laptop it should not be going into thermal shut down like that. I suspect a crappy fan, thermal paste job or something else hardware related like a messed up heat sink / hardware controller that is causing this.

So send this back to them and give em hell.

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
[Post New]
Rob - Yes my fan blows quite loudly when the computer gets very hot. Not in an annoying type of manner, but more like a constant confirmation that it is working diligently. So far the power management trick is working quite well. Beforehand it was quite dicey to produce anything at the lowest of HD resolutions with low double-digit mbps. However, I just produced a 4K 50 mbps video WHILE using 2 browsers with about 20 tabs open and the temps never broke 160 degrees. If things change, I will definitely send my laptop back for review. But it may just be that my cooling system just might not be advanced enough to balance out my processors at full usage.

Longedge - It seems like 90% maximum power is my sweet spot too. I really can't thank you enough. This has been my biggest obstacle since I got the computer. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of me. Cheers mate!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 31. 2013 16:45

Serial# VDE130812-01
No codec packs
No burning software
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of me. Cheers mate!

You're welcome.

I now have a Sony Vaio and it's very different to the HP I used to have. It's on most days for 10 to 12 hours and it never even breaks into a sweat in fact you could say it's COOL