Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
any way to create a frame to be used in effect track?
rytis [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 05, 2013 20:52 Messages: 82 Offline
[Post New]
This may be a stupid question, but I'm using a focus in effect track to block out unwanted stuff in the sides of the video clips, this way I don't have to set it in each clip, it's uniform... and I like it, works great. only problem is I can not make it square or rectangle shape (only circle or oval). is there any way to do this to get a rectangular background not within each clip, but as an additive on a separate track so that it would be uniform for all clips?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 13. 2013 12:34

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi rytis -

It's not a stupid question and the answer is YES.

I think what you're talking about is an overlay to disguise the black areas left by using the Focus effect - yes?

Insert the clips in Track 1, Focus effect in the FX track (or Track 1) and the frame/overlay in Track 2 set to the duration of the whole video.

Depending on how you've set the focus (height & width), you'd probably need to make a custom frame to match.

I'd suggest a better alternative, since you really want a rectangle rather than an oval, is to use Video Crop to cut out the edges. That way, you're left with a rectangle. You could still apply a frame/overlay if you wish.

Here are some tutorials that will help - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29377.page - look for Making & Using Frames & Video Crop - Basic Trim.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
rytis [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I'd suggest a better alternative, since you really want a rectangle rather than an oval, is to use Video Crop to cut out the edges. That way, you're left with a rectangle. You could still apply a frame/overlay if you wish.

Here are some tutorials that will help - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29377.page - look for Making & Using Frames & Video Crop - Basic Trim.

Cheers - Tony
Thanks,

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 14. 2013 16:54

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Unfortunately, using Video Crop, it has to be applied to each clip separately. One way around that would be to edit & produce the whole project - then apply video crop to the produced file.

If you wanted to use an overlay or frame, you'd need to find or make one to suit. The tutorial I linked shows how.

The difference between the two approaches is that Video Crop cuts off the edges & using a frame just covers them up.

I've attached that TV frame, but it may not suit your purposes.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Crop_Frame.png]
 Filename
Crop_Frame.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
173 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
134 time(s)
[Thumb - TV_2.png]
 Filename
TV_2.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
212 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
61 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 14. 2013 16:10

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
rytis [Avatar]
[Post New]
thanks I learned how to do it from your links. windows paint, then in pip object room chroma key white part out and use as frame. thx again.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
rytis, if you like how the focus works for you, you can get very near a rectangle if desired, just unlink hor and vertical and use the focus twice for control.

Jeff
[Thumb - focus.png]
 Filename
focus.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
291 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
52 time(s)