CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
MultiCam Designer output only contains first couple seconds of video
Reply to this topic
optodata
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 5447 Online
[Post New]
For my first use of the MC designer, I'm trying to combine video from two cameras into a single time lapse movie. I separately sped up each clip by 115x and produced it as an .m2ts file, then I imported both time-lapse clips into a new project. Both videos are 1080/30p.

In the MC designer, everything works beautifully (although the record function for choosing which clip to watch is a challenge to use when things move so quickly!). The problem comes when I hit OK and PD12 imports the MC output into the timeline. First of all, only the first 3 video sections show thumbnails while everything following is blank.

More importantly, only the first few seconds of video is present when watching the preview or after producing the entire project. Oddly, I can sometimes see video with the preview window if I choose Clip and click on the 2nd or 3rd section in the timeline, but playing the movie from the start always ends up blank even before the first transition.

The time-lapse videos and other project files can be downloaded from this SkyDrive folder. As you can see, the original clips play perfectly on their own but something goes wrong when using them in the MC Designer. Is anyone able to duplicate this on their setup, or possibly get it to work correctly? Any ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated!
 Filename
Halloween.png
[Disk]
 Description
Editor thumbnail screenshot
 Filesize
737 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
110 time(s)

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win10 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 2070 | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1939 Offline
[Post New]
Can't get it your files to work on my i5 Asus system either. I have tried your project and also built a new one using your time lapse files but with no better results - I suspect it's one for technical support?

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
optodata
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 5447 Online
[Post New]
Thanks for the feedback. I will open a support ticket and update this thread with any news.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win10 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 2070 | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9795 Offline
[Post New]
Hi optodata -

This will be of no consolation to you, but I got exactly the same result.

Fed it through MC Designer - recorded switching from Cam1 to Cam2 - 1:24 total duration, but only played till the first camera switch point... after that there was a halloween blackout!

Mixing the two camera clips using the traditional timeline method caused no issues.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
optodata
[Post New]
Tony, I think that any time I've got a reproducible issue is a good thing, and hopefully Cyberlink's tech support will be able to see the issue on their end. It's also good to know that the problem is confined to the output of the MC designer and doesn't seem to be related to the speed change in the original clips. Everything plays and edits properly in the MC window so the problem seems to be in how it exports the mixed clips.

Thank you for your assistance and feedback
-Ron

YouTube/optodata

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9795 Offline
[Post New]
Ron -

I separately sped up each clip by 115x and produced it as an .m2ts file, then I imported both time-lapse clips into a new project.

Have you tried going back to your original project (before you applied Video Speed), then:
1. Produce those projects to your 2 separate video files
2. Use the two clips in MC Designer
- maybe produce MC Designer's output.
3. Apply Video Speed
4. Produce.

MC possibly failed because of the speed.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
optodata
[Post New]
I can try that, but the files will be huge as the source .mts files each total over 17GB. It took roughly an hour to produce the 115x versions and I would guess that it would take longer to produce both full length clips. It's midnight here so maybe I'll setup a batch produce before I go to bed. Thanks for the suggestion!

YouTube/optodata

optodata
[Post New]
Here's a quick update:

Cyberlink Tech Support still hasn't responded. I tried producing the two cam files individually then imported both 22GB .m2ts files into the MC Designer. It took a long time to sync them using the audio track (I left after the first minute or so, so I don't know if it had to compare the full 2 hours of audio or not).

I could easily choose which camera to use, but everything went to hell when I hit OK and the MC output was inserted into the timeline. As soon as I clicked on play (or moved the scrubber to a new section), my hard disk light went on solid and PD12 stopped responding. When I say solid, I don't mean mostly on or an occasional flicker, I mean 100% on solid for minutes on end. I used Win7's Resource Monitor to determine that one of the sample clips was being accessed at 120+Mbps and the other at about half that speed, but I couldn't determine what was happening to all that data.

I have 16GB of RAM (12 left after using 4GB as a RAM drive) and a 16GB pagefile on another hard drive. Needless to say, I couldn't ever watch anything in the timeline because any action I took immediately started the unrelenting disk access all over again. To be honest, I don't remember even seeing it stop, but there were times when PD was responsive enough that I could try something in the editor.

So my initial take away is that the MC designer seems to do it's job with clips that are either significantly sped up or are extremely large/long clips, but the main editor is unable to deal with what the MC designer puts out in either situation. For the time being, it looks I'll have to use the more traditional methods to blend clips from multiple cameras and I hope that an update at some point will allow to utilize this very promising new approach.

YouTube/optodata

optodata
[Post New]
UPDATE OCT. 24th: Cyberlink tech support has responded:

"In regards to your concern, I would like to inform you that we have managed to reproduce this, and its now queued for analysis, so hopefully we will find a solution.

We will get back to you on as soon as we get updates about your case."

YouTube/optodata

Reply to this topic