Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Need better PreView and Graphicscard advice
Hakan448 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sweden Joined: May 19, 2009 16:19 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hello! need some advice.

Bought PowerDirector 11 (Director suite) but can not get this to work smoothly at the prewiev from timeline.
Preview from the timeline is very poor (choppy) when transitional or video filters available on videos.

I want to preview the work in full HD or one step lower.

This I have done to try to solve the problem.

1 reinstalled the computer, Win7 SP1 Home 64-bit.
2 Windows update, many times for everything to be updated ..
3 Updated memory from 6G to 14G.
4 Updated graphics card from GTX260 to GTX660.
5 Latest Nvidia drivers.

But this preview is as bad as before.

Question:
Would I have bought an ATI HD7790 (or HD78xx) video card instead of GTX660?
Have seen some benchmarks of OpenCL on the web that shows that ATI is better for OpenCL.
I never use the computer for gaming.

Computer:
HP Pavilion Elite HPE-120sc (i7-860 2.8GHz)
HD 1.5 TB

Video clip:
1920x1080 60i from Panasonic HX-WA10
1920x1080 50i from Sony Alpha SLT-A37
(Not at the same time on the timeline) //Hakan
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Hello- welcome to the forum.

Short answer- save your money.
No matter how powerful or fast your system is the Preview is a known bane of us PD users.

I have yet to see anyone admit to getting a full smooth Full HD preview without issues.
Personally I have gotten my system tweaked to the point where High Preview setting works great for me.
(Still get the hiccups and stuttering at times- but when I Produce the video it is silky smooth- which is the main thing I am concerned about.)

I will be happy to say I am wrong on this- as well have a look at the setup for anyone who gets Preview at Full HD working without any issues!

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
I agree , however using reduced resolution and the shadow files works very well for me, very smooth, even for long , 90 min complex videos.

Or I can do w/o shadow files for short length of video but rarely do that.

BTW my computer is very similar.

Eugene 73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
Hakan448 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello!

Thanks for the replies.

Too bad the Powerdirector does not have a "on demand" function to render the effects on the timeline, or an auto background rendering of the timeline.

Perhaps in the future, who knows.

/ / Hakan //Hakan
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hello!

Thanks for the replies.

Too bad the Powerdirector does not have a "on demand" function to render the effects on the timeline, or an auto background rendering of the timeline.

Perhaps in the future, who knows.

/ / Hakan

You can render on demand.

Highlight the area of your project on the timeline that you want to render using the small orange triangles on either side of the blue scrubber bar that moves across the timeline. Once you select all or part of your project correctly, it will be highlighted in color and a new button will appear on top of the timeline call "Render Preview". Select this button and let the rendering begin!

It will generate lots of temporary files which will be used during playback and should smooth out playback. I have used it for short complex areas in a project. These temporary files will automatically be deleted every 30 days unless you have changed this setting in preferences. You can also choose to manually delete all selected files in preferences in the General tab.

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Michael8511
Contributor Location: U.S.A. Indiana Joined: Jan 14, 2012 16:12 Messages: 374 Offline
[Post New]
Hakan448 I have PD install on a i7 860 CPU. It has 8 GB of memory and a GTX 650 video card. I use the preview setting of real time preview then quality HD preview resolution.

I have no problems with that. Unless I do some color adjustment. Then it will slow and get jumpy. I have lean to do all my editing first has for cuts and transitions. Then I go and do color adjustment to clips then produce. I edited mp4 1080P video from GoPro and video from a Canon HD camcorder MTS 1080 60i and 30P and sometimes 24P.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 22. 2013 13:46

Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
GoPro 4
Canon VIXIA HF G10
Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 70D
My Vimeo Channel http://vimeo.com/user3339631/videos
Hakan448 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Cap'n Kevin for this tip
Maybe it's time to read the manual.

//Hakan //Hakan
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks Cap'n Kevin for this tip
Maybe it's time to read the manual.

//Hakan

The forum is much quicker I think. The manual is ok, but asking in the forum will lead you in the right direction quicker. We are here to help and make editing easier and hopefully more fun!

Kevin

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.