Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Red Eye Removal Solved
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Unfortunately I have red eye in a few images that I took on Easter. You can't tell a 2year old and a 18 month old not to look at the camera flash.

I have followed the instructions in PhotoDirector 4 for removing red eye (regional adjustment) but I have been unable to have the program detect the red eye. I get the correct targets but the programs tell me that there is no red eye detected but it will put a correction where I marked. There is no change.

When I imported the images in PD4, I did apply some presets.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: I just realized that it works OK in PhotoDirector 3.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 10. 2013 15:29

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
Hello Steve,

I was about to congratulate you on discovering a glitch in PhD4, but I just tested it here (to be honest, I'd never used it before) and it's working fine.

I've attached a short screen capture to show the steps I took.

True. When the pupil area is quite small, particularly when the shot is not straight on, PhD will tell you no red eye is detected, but then it goes ahead and does the correction anyway. That's a bit odd, I agree. You'll see an example of that in the screen capture.

I wonder whether the presets you applied, prior to red eye removal, may have shifted the colours & interfered with PhD's ability to detect the red eye. Perhaps you could retest on the original shot.

Thank you for posting, Steve. All questions and information help!

PIX

Filename
PhD4_RedEye.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1417 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
557 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 01. 2013 18:11

PIX YouTube channel
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
It appears that you are correct in guessing that the presets did not allow the program to identify the red eye. I went back to the original images from the dSLR and was able to remove the red eye.

BY the way, I started with the raw -NEF files and after I imported then with the presets, I could not do anything with the red eye (as discussed above). I did save the files as jpg and re-imported them but the original change would not allow for the red eye on the jpgs to be recognized .

Thanks for the video. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.