CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
► ADR Suggestions - Please Contribute :)
Reply to this topic
[Post New]
Forum Members,

Since the PhotoDirector forum has a suggestion box, I thought the AudioDirector forum ought to have one too.

Please contribute any suggested features or improvements in this thread, so that a collection of ideas can be promoted with CyberLink R&D.

The team at CL is always trying to improve their products. Members suggestions will be welcomed.

PIX
 Filename
ADR_Sugg.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
27 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1443 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 12. 2013 17:07

PhD CDR ADR DZ MVL PP Forum Moderator
PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Addition of a good normalizing function will increase the usefulness of the Audio Director program.

The “boost function” and “normalize” in Power Director are both limited in scope and make for clumsy sound editing.

The normalizer should be able to do, at least, the following:

Calculate actual volume levels of a selected portion of a sound clip – selectable in a choice of either decibels or as a percentage of the allowed volume without clipping.

Allow adjustment of the volume of a selected portion of a sound clip to a specified level – selectable in a choice of either decibels or as a percentage of the allowed volume without clipping.

I look forward to the addition of such a function as I have to pass the sound file to another software now - just to normalize.
[Post New]
Thank you for your suggestions, Bulldog01

I hope other members will follow your lead.

PIX PhD CDR ADR DZ MVL PP Forum Moderator
PIX YouTube channel
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Private Message Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

For the Equalizer-

1.) I would like to see a lock / unlock button so that if you move one frequency the others will move with it in tandem. Then if I want to fine tune even more- click the unlock button and allow individual frequency slider movements.

2.) Also I'd like to see a positive stop when moving the slider to the zero mark. When moving up and down past the zero mark or any multiple of 5 for that matter, the slider button should "jump" into that position instead of just smoothly going past it. It is a pain to try to quickly zero one frequency and to manually have to type in 0.00 to get it to dead center. (When you click and drag on the numbers below the frequency slider, a left / right arrow shows up and allows even number slider adjustment. But this is not as quick, intuitive and as fast as positive slider stops when using the frequency slider located above.)

3.) The undo arrow in the top right Equalizer window needs to be an actual Undo- not a "reset to default." There should be a separate Reset to Default icon / button.

4.) Also to add to point #3 I would like to see actual undo / redo arrows. If I make multiple changes and don't like the sound, I want to go back each individual step or else go forward each change to the various slider positions that I like. Then I can fine tune from there.

5. Ability to save Custom Equalizer presets.

thanks,

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
[Post New]
Excellent suggestions RobAC!

I'll make sure these get put to the development team for ADR.

#4 is a very worthwhile suggestion, rather like layers in graphics work.

It's people who use the software who can best see areas for modification. Thank you for taking the time to help improve AudioDirector.

PIX YouTube channel
PDuser97031 [Avatar]
Member Private Message Joined: Aug 08, 2009 23:44 Messages: 91 Offline
[Post New]
1. Ability to save custom effect settings.
2. Ability to save effects to apply in a macro/batch/group
3. Noise Gate
4. Volume leveler (not normalize) -- boosts low, attenuates high
jerrys
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1013 Offline
[Post New]
Based on my recent effort to add a sequence of audio files, I'd like to be able to control the length of the timeline the way you can in PowerDirector. That would make it easier to add things to the end of the timeline and to move things around.

Also, I'd like to see a "remove gap" type of operation (again, like PowerDirector). Jerry Schwartz
[Post New]
I'm currently using a trial version of AudioDirector 4 with a Scarlett 2i4 and a AT2050 Mic. While AudioDirector 4 is not a full fledged DAW like ProTools, Reaper or others, for someone who just wants to record vocals and some instruments occasionally it's perfect.

That said there are a few features I feel it is missing that may be reason enough for me to go with a competitor.

1. Being able to choose what audio in device AudioDirector uses and have it remember my choice. Right now if I want to use a Non-Windows-Default recording source in AudioDirector, I have to choose it in the settings every time I launch the program as it forgets what I chose when it restarts.

2. Being able to choose an audio out device. Right now I can't choose an audio output device at all, it always uses the Windows Default playback device. While for most users this is fine I'm sure, I want to be able to hear it over my Monitor feed on my XLR Interface. This is important for when your recoding multiple tracks like instrument and vocals one at a time and need to hear it over the monitor headphones you use to hear yourself singing through the Mic.

3. The ability to tell AudioDirector what folders I want it to use for the project I am working on. While I can choose where the scratch is, and where the projects are saved it still dumps all the audio files into My Documents.

4. An easier way to convert Mono recordings to Stereo in the Mix room without having to "Produce" the audio. I'm thinking something like being able to right click on it and click on a convert to stereo button. Even if it just produces the audio like the current method, just a shortcut to do it faster/easier would be nice.

AudioDirector is very close to matching my needs for audio recording as I'm primarily focused on voice overs but also light instrument use. If the first two features requests were implemented I would probably buy it, right now I'm hesitant to do so. Some promotional material by Cyberlink does feature the Scarlett 2i2 which is one step down from what I am using, so people such as myself are being targeted for this program.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 24. 2014 04:58

-ZATZAi
[Post New]
Hello ZATZAi,

Welcome to the ADR forum!

You've offered some excellent suggestions for possible improvements to AudioDirector. Thank you for you thoughtful ideas.

PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Thanks PIX,

I've discovered one more feature that would be useful to have. Particularly when recording both my mic through my audio interface and also someone over Skype at the same time.

5. The ability to record from multiple sources (Sound cards) simultaneously.

Right now I have to run the audio out from my PC into one of the audio in's on my interface to accomplish this. -ZATZAi
[Post New]
Some useful features for synchronising audio clips from different sources:

1. Keyboard shortcuts for nudging clips frame by frame to accurately sync audio
2. Plug-in facility, similar to Audio Analysis in PDR's MultiCam Designer

PIX YouTube channel
Rick47 [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: May 05, 2014 09:40 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I'm new to audio editing and AD, so feel free to shoot me down.

1. I'd love to be able to export more audio types e.g. Flac,AC3 etc. (I have to pass it to Nero to get AC3)
2. Is it not possible to allow any multi-track file in the 'Edit' section to be quickly passed to the 'Mix' section in its component channels.
3. Ability to order/move the channels in the 'Mix' area - or is that not an issue? How does AD (Produce) know which is FR,FL,C etc.?
4. Vocal enhancer - tool/filter/effect.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 05. 2014 18:39

Jeff12345 [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Jul 08, 2014 23:51 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I'm working with hundreds of audio files 60 minutes to 90 minutes in length. These need to be easily split into 15 minute files. It would be very helpful if ADR could mark and name split points in in the 90 minute file and then export to multiple files in in one operation.

Also, as a newbie, it would be helpful to have documentation on what and when to use ADR and when to use the Wave Editor, they seem rather redundant.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 06. 2014 12:44

[Post New]
I have started to do audio syncing for my live concert videos from a Tascam Digital Recorder, and am using the ADR Boost feature and then increasing the volume manually since the levels seem so low. Please explain what the difference is between Boost and increasing volume.

My primary purpose for using the separate recorder is that I usually do hand held camera shoots, which means the audio can vacillate too much from the camera mic.
However I am now learning that when I place the recorder at the sound booth, which is usually the only stable location for outdoor concerts, that my recorder is picking up too much talking from sound techs and nearby people. Would love to see an option to remove extraneous voices! Now I have to decide if the superior audio quality is worth having to listen to the chatter.

I would like to see an automatic audio sync of the wav file with the video, just as with the multi-cam option. However that may be a PD13 function rather than ADR.

I agree with Jeff12345 that it would be helpful to understand why there needs to be ADR and Wave Editor.

Also, agree it would be nice to be able to actually switch between the edited version and the original without having to Produce. I think in the last version you could do that. Right now, I am actually closing the file and then re-opening it in order to select a different Boost level, which is another time consuming, unnecessary step.

Since I have little understanding of audio, I am hesitant to explore some of the other features because they don't seem very user friendly or self-explanatory.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 29. 2014 04:27

CyberPower Inc Windows 7
Intel (R) Core (tm) i7-4770K cpu @ 3.50 ghz
64 bit op sys - 32.0 GB RAM
[Post New]
Would like to be able to use another audio editor like Audacity. And ADR really needs a normalize function. Website
YouTube
[Post New]
I'm working on a kind of own cartoon with plenty of people contributing their voices. I'd love to use AudioDirector, as some people are sending me recordings in weird format and it's the only software I have to read those. However, inability to save EQ (most notably) and other effect presets makes it impossible. It seems a very basic function and there are plenty of settings already. I was hoping that I'm just unable to find them, but then I found this...

Quote: 1. Ability to save custom effect settings.
2. Ability to save effects to apply in a macro/batch/group
3. Noise Gate
4. Volume leveler (not normalize) -- boosts low, attenuates high

Is there any progress on these? I found the noise gate, but I have issues with other things mentioned here.
miksh7 [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Aug 09, 2015 08:27 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]

1. Ability to save custom effect settings - MOST WANTED !

2. Easy way to apply the last applied effect

3. Dropzone for effects

4. As your software is targeted for non-professionals then it would be nice to have a list of ready-to-use effects, e.g. see such a effect list applied in the Behringer mixers http://forum.music-group.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=89&d=1357855881

Shaoling [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Aug 20, 2014 15:01 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
There REALLY needs to be an ability to save presents. For the equalizer, and dynamic range settings amongst other things.

I record all of my video commentary in Audio director, but because I am unable to save my presets for the equalizer and the Dynamic range settings I find myself exporting, so that I can apply those in other software because its more convenient. This shouldn't be the case.

If Audio director wants to compete with other good audio software packages it absolutely has to to have a function to save templates.

I used to use Audio Director 4, and now I'm using 6 and somehow it STILL not implemented.

Do they even read these posts?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 03. 2016 07:32

[Post New]
Hello Shaoling,

Your suggestion about saving presets/adjustments is an excellent one.

Though CL staff may not directly monitor these suggetions, they are passed on to the relevant R&D teams.

PIX YouTube channel
BriBones
Newbie Private Message Location: Puget Sound, Washington, USA Joined: Apr 05, 2014 00:08 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Please provide a simple way to split one long mp3 audio file into separate tracks/files.

I can currently use Audacity to split a 60 minute mp3 into separate mp3 files. I could do that in under 15 minutes. I have spent the last 3 hours attempting this using ADR 6. It is absolutely crazy that I must load the full file, delete everything that is not the first track and Produce. Reload the full file, delete everything that is not in the second track and product it. Repeat for the rest of the tracks.

ADR has lots of power, but for me it is nearly useless as splitting a file into tracks is mostly what I do. I'm going back to using Audacity until this feature is added to ADR.

Brian
Reply to this topic