Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Emergency Power for Honking Big Graphics Cards
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
I know this is rather off-topic but I was wondering what those with monster graphics cards, the kind that draw several hundred watts, do about a UPS? Jerry Schwartz
djmorgan
Senior Member Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Oz. Joined: Mar 09, 2007 07:07 Messages: 233 Offline
[Post New]
Buy one! like cyberpower or APC etc matched to total draw plus some from PC, my UPS gives me 30 minutes of power to enable orderly shutdown.... or you could invest a few K in stand by generators or a few more Mil for your own power station, simple really

David Windows 7 X64 SP1
ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA1366 X58
Intel core I7 950 3.80 GHZ CPU
12Gb Corsair TR3X3G1600C8D Tri channel
Corsair H70 Water cooling
Corsair HX1000W PSU
nVidia GTX 980
Intel 240Gb SSD 520 Series
2 x Seagate 1 Tb
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
That was a stupid question, wasn't it.

We're facing a major storm here. When I posted I had just come back from a big box store, and noticed that they didn't seem to have any UPS bigger than about 500 watts. Those were in the $150+ range.

I should have checked online before I opened my pie-hole. I see that Amazon has all sizes, shapes, colors, and capacities at reasonable prices.

I'm looking at one of the nuclear-powered ones; they say it can double as a doorstop when not in use, which is a big selling point. Jerry Schwartz
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
The smart thing to do is shut down the computer before the storm gets your power out.

While you are at that, disconnect the computer and put it 20-30 feet above normal ground level.
Then you may avoid the flood.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

jerrys
[Post New]
Quote: The smart thing to do is shut down the computer before the storm gets your power out.

While you are at that, disconnect the computer and put it 20-30 feet above normal ground level.

What else would I do during a storm but play computer?

I'm fairly high up on the slope of a hill. The only way my computer would get flooded is if we had a fire (which is why I have a fireproof, waterproof, floating safe). Jerry Schwartz
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: The smart thing to do is shut down the computer before the storm gets your power out.

What else would I do during a storm but play computer?

I'm fairly high up on the slope of a hill. The only way my computer would get flooded is if we had a fire (which is why I have a fireproof, waterproof, floating safe).

According to the weather channel you should have the storm on top of you or gone by now.

So how did you fair?

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

jerrys
[Post New]
The storm didn't hit us very hard: 3" of rain, some tree limbs down, my power was out for about 14 hours. Connecticut is a small state, but it has a lot of variation in terrain. All in all, for those of us in the northern part of the state it was a wind event. Everything was over by morning.

The real damage was along the coast. Long Island Sound runs the whole length of Connecticut's shoreline, pretty much, and it's effectively a cul-de-sac. The storm was blowing from the east, into the Sound, so the water just kept piling up. The moon was full, so the tides were higher than usual. The result was a storm surge that was much higher (and reached further inland) than most people can remember. A lot of structures that had just been rebuilt after the hurricane we had last Hallowe'en were damaged or washed away again.

This storm was absolutely enormous. When people look at a satellite view of a hurricane, they typically notice the clouds spiralling around the center. They don't realize that a typical hurricane has winds spreading out over 500 miles. This one was twice as wide.

Manhattan got really clobbered. I can't believe what happened there. They sealed off the island, and evacuated over 300,000 people from the southern end. The bridges are okay, but there are several tunnels terminating in Manhattan. They'll have to be pumped out. A large electrical substation blew up, knocking out power to lower Manhattan. You don't see telephone polls in Manhattan: everything is underground, and a lot of it is so old that the documentation is lost.

The subways are a mess. I'm sure they moved the actual trains out of harm's way, but the electricals weren't designed to be immersed in salt water. Even if the water didn't cause too much corrosion, the tunnels are filled with all kinds of stuff that washed up. Then there was that fire that took out a city block.

I know the area pretty well, and the financial district is right down there at the tip. People take their lunches out to sit in Battery Park, which went completely under.

Manhattan has been rising out of the water for years, but evidently not fast enough. It will be along time before lower Manhattan returns to normal.

I can't even imagine what New Jersey looks like.

All in all, the top two-thirds of Connecticut (where I live) made out pretty well.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 30. 2012 15:18

Jerry Schwartz
Carl312
[Post New]
Jerry,
It is good to hear you missed the really bad stuff.

I have seen on TV the Manhattan area, watched the TV Guys standing in the street talking. All looks deserted.
Hard to believe for a City the size of New York.

I live in a area that was hit by hurricane Rita in 2006. The storm covered an area from Louisiana to the middle of Texas.

House and Tree damage all over.
I saw several trees on Cars.

I had trees blown down in my yard. I used to have four big Pine trees in my back yard, there are none now.

Two were blown down, Two were cut down because of too much damage.

jerrys
[Post New]
I have a widow-maker in my back yard, and every time we have a big blow I hope it will come down; but it's pretty stubborn.

Nobody can get to it. It's still half-attached, so you can't pull it down; there's no room to get a truck with a cherry-picker back there; you'd have to be nuts to climb out on what's left of the limb to saw it; and it's too high for one of those saw-chain-thingies, unless you used a gun of some kind to get it up there.

I suppose you could lash a ladder to the trunk and cut it off there, but the way the ground slopes that would be a risky business.

Oh, well -- I've hijacked my own thread, so we'll let the weather be. Jerry Schwartz
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: I have a widow-maker in my back yard, and every time we have a big blow I hope it will come down; but it's pretty stubborn.

Nobody can get to it. It's still half-attached, so you can't pull it down; there's no room to get a truck with a cherry-picker back there; you'd have to be nuts to climb out on what's left of the limb to saw it; and it's too high for one of those saw-chain-thingies, unless you used a gun of some kind to get it up there.

I suppose you could lash a ladder to the trunk and cut it off there, but the way the ground slopes that would be a risky business.

Oh, well -- I've hijacked my own thread, so we'll let the weather be.

Have you contacted a Tree service? They can climb trees with a pole climbing belt.

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Have you contacted a Tree service? They can climb trees with a pole climbing belt.

Carl,
you have just won 1st place in the "Most unlikely post to appear on the CL Forum" contest.
Your award is a PowerDirector plug-in that adds the transition "PAGE TURN FORWARD".
The plug-in will work in any OEM version of PD 6 running on Windows ME 32 bit, Service Pack 2.
Congratulations,
BTC HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:

Carl,
you have just won 1st place in the "Most unlikely post to appear on the CL Forum" contest.
Your award is a PowerDirector plug-in that adds the transition "PAGE TURN FORWARD".
The plug-in will work in any OEM version of PD 6 running on Windows ME 32 bit, Service Pack 2.
Congratulations,
BTC

Thank you Barry.

I am surprised we have not see even stranger posts because of the Storm Sandy.

I think we best quit before Dafydd shuts us down.

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Carl, Didn't Ike get to you? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Carl, Didn't Ike get to you?

Yes, but Ike was not that bad a storm.

Rita was the big one.

jmone
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Nov 26, 2010 00:05 Messages: 706 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Buy one! like cyberpower or APC etc matched to total draw plus some from PC, my UPS gives me 30 minutes of power to enable orderly shutdown.... or you could invest a few K in stand by generators or a few more Mil for your own power station, simple really

David

Build one! It is easy, cheap(er) and give vastly bigger cappacity --> http://www.dansdata.com/diyups.htm .... if you like the Industrial Design (note: my setup is under the house and I run a UPS power line to my euipment from there).

I lost power for over 2 hours yeasterday but my PC/Comms equipment never missed a beat! PD 64 Bit-Win10 64 Bit-32GB RAM-80TB HDD
Sony FX6 - 500Mbps 4k/50p AVC-I HLG
Canon XF400 - 150Mbps 4k/50p AVC
GoPro Hero6 Black
Pana HS700-28Mbps 1080/50p AVC (High@L4.2)
Canon HV20-HDV 25Mbps 16:9 1440x1080/25p MPEG
djmorgan
Senior Member Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Oz. Joined: Mar 09, 2007 07:07 Messages: 233 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Buy one! like cyberpower or APC etc matched to total draw plus some from PC, my UPS gives me 30 minutes of power to enable orderly shutdown.... or you could invest a few K in stand by generators or a few more Mil for your own power station, simple really

David

Build one! It is easy, cheap(er) and give vastly bigger cappacity --> http://www.dansdata.com/diyups.htm .... if you like the Industrial Design (note: my setup is under the house and I run a UPS power line to my euipment from there).

I lost power for over 2 hours yeasterday but my PC/Comms equipment never missed a beat!

Bloody expensive! my 1500w cyberpower was less than $200.00 and I get 20 minutes, which includes a monitor, router and NAS before I have to shut down, don't know what I would be doing that takes 20 minutes but I wouldn't be gaming.... I guess it's all relative

David Windows 7 X64 SP1
ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA1366 X58
Intel core I7 950 3.80 GHZ CPU
12Gb Corsair TR3X3G1600C8D Tri channel
Corsair H70 Water cooling
Corsair HX1000W PSU
nVidia GTX 980
Intel 240Gb SSD 520 Series
2 x Seagate 1 Tb
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I thought the point of a UPS was to shut things down in an orderly fashion, even if you aren't home.
My LG-NAS allows for automation, but this has nothing to do with Cyberlink, and I suspect we will be asked to go on with our lives, on some other topic... HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT