Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Voice Removal in Music - ALMOST useless
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All

I'll defy anyone to successfully use the Voice Removal in Music in the Apply Effect tab of AudioDirector.

About as useful as a handbrake on a canoe!

That's an hour of my life I'll never get back

Happy editing

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 31. 2012 21:54

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Kmot
Contributor Location: Northridge, CA Joined: Apr 18, 2012 01:45 Messages: 432 Offline
[Post New]
Neil, you have probably already watched the tutorials presented by Cyberlink, and they have not helped you.

BUT, just in case, this tutorial might have something you can go on.

The "Visual Repair" tool might help you isolate the voice and can it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH9UUlMBR1E&feature=plcp ~Tom~
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Neil, you have probably already watched the tutorials presented by Cyberlink, and they have not helped you.

BUT, just in case, this tutorial might have something you can go on.

The "Visual Repair" tool might help you isolate the voice and can it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH9UUlMBR1E&feature=plcp

Hi Tom

Thanks for that.

The Voice Removal in Music is suppose to be a 'one stop shop' to actually remove the singers voice and leave just the music behind and to date I have had zero success.

Have you had any success in using this function? Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Kmot
Contributor Location: Northridge, CA Joined: Apr 18, 2012 01:45 Messages: 432 Offline
[Post New]
No, I have not used the function yet myself. ~Tom~
Kmot
[Post New]
I just uploaded a simple song into AudioDirector, and then tried the Voice Removal tool.

It changed the frequency spectrum of the song significantly, but the voice was still clearly discernible.

I then initiated the Equalizer and tried adjusting out the rest of the voice. I got probably 80% of the voice removed but again it could still be heard in the background and the music portion by now really stank.

I next initiated Visual Repair and clicked Apply. It told me to Produce the track in order to save the applied changes and so I did this. The result was complete silence. lol...

Yes, it seems the Voice Removal in Music is a complete FAIL. ~Tom~
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Keep in mind, it is not a generic vocal removal tool as it appears you believe. If you read the caption by the effect it states "Remove vocals in stereo music when vocal sounds are panned to center". That is not always the case, panned to center is identical vocals in both left and right channels so when one channel is inverted both channels will cancel out if identical. If not, no cancel, it's as simple as that. Very few recordings have vocals that are actually panned to center.

If you try it on a panned to center audio you will notice that it does work so it is a very niche tool as not many vocals fit the panned to center restriction. Cheap to add to a editor, algorithms have been available for years, just not effective.

Jeff
Kmot
[Post New]
Jeff, thanks for the explanation. I wondered what that statement was supposed to mean. Now we know.

And it seems CL added a tool that will be useless for 99% of the time, hahah. ~Tom~
[Post New]
Neil, Tom & Jeff -

To be honest, I hadn't played with the voice removal effect until Neil posted his "challenge".

Like you, I haven't had much success with it... & probably because of the point JL_JL made about the voice being panned to the centre.

The most effective experiment I had was cutting out (well, reducing) the VO (spoken) from a tutorial & trying to isolate the background music. Not something I needed to do, just seeing what situations worked best.

Interesting that the Help File states:
Use the Vocal Removal in Music effect to create a karaoke mix using your stereo music files. CyberLink AudioDirector creates this effect by panning the vocal track to the center.
Note: this effect can only be applied to stereo (two channel) audio files.

yet the UI says:
Remove vocals in stereo music when vocal sounds are panned to center.

Those two ideas sound different to me.

PIX

PIX YouTube channel
remove [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 31, 2012 04:35 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
this is chinese songs, I don't know how they do it (the chinese people)
but they did remove the vocal near perfection. I would say 90%.

try download and listen, anyone knows how they did that? please share the trick, thanks.
[Post New]
Hello remove,

Welcome to the forum & thank you for chiming in! Everyone's input helps to clarify the issue.

I downloaded the "corrected" audio file your linked. Not having the original audio made it difficult to make a proper comparison. The best I could do was locate the song on YouTube at http://youtu.be/8euCL0CtU0c

Do you have the original audo file (before correction)? Could you please post a sample?

What is the source of the audio file you posted? You said: "anyone knows how they did that?" Who are they?

I'm very interested in learning more about how best to make this tool work, since I've had little luck so far.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Minny [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 26, 2011 23:00 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Hello all

I have had no luck as well.

This function does not work

I used an Abba song - Waterloo in both mp3 and WAV format and still it did not remove their voices

It's not such a big deal except it's disappointing it doesn't work when they say it does.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Here is a simple sample that it will do a fairly good job with, it does remove some bass too which is to be expected as typically bass is also equally split left to right with no phase delay or reverb adjustments. I have done nothing other the VR in AD. Again, it's a very simplistic filter for a given situation; don't expect to squeeze blood out of the turnip.

Jeff
 Filename
Produce_VR.MP3
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
146 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
850 time(s)
 Filename
Produce_orig.MP3
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
146 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
658 time(s)
CubbyHouseFilms
[Post New]
Quote: Here is a simple sample that it will do a fairly good job with, it does remove some bass too which is to be expected as typically bass is also equally split left to right with no phase delay or reverb adjustments. I have done nothing other the VR in AD. Again, it's a very simplistic filter for a given situation; don't expect to squeeze blood out of the turnip. Jeff

Hi Jeff

Great effort

I might have to 'eat my words'.

I have changed the subject to read 'ALMOST Useless'

Happy editing Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel

[Post New]
Quote: Again, it's a very simplistic filter for a given situation; don't expect to squeeze blood out of the turnip.

Jeff,

I think I've been trying the turnip trick.

Great job with the voice removal tool. I see what you mean. It seems to work well only in particular situations/musical environments.

Your observation about taking out the bass has been a symptom in almost everything I've tried. I even (foolishly) attempted to remove the voice using the manual visual repair tools. Off topic & only limited success. Another audio editor I use a lot (Audacity) has a vocal removal tool as well. Like ADR, it works well in particular circumstances even though it has more options for control.

Attached is an example (not a great one!) of what ADR does with vocal removal. Unlike Jeff's example, the piece selected was not the best to test.

PIX

Filename
Voice Removal.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
364 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
563 time(s)
PIX YouTube channel
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
It does what the developer claims it will do with the file stipulations they specified. Even though maybe not the fall feature voice removal many would desire, it does what they claim. That's much better than the many claims they make and can't meet, SVRT, HA, DVD Menu playback, mp3's.....to mention a few biggies that trip many users. When a file is used that meets the specification and it does not work, that would be interesting.

Jeff
Kmot
[Post New]
Honestly, all three example suck.

JL's is the best example, but the complete removal of the low end renders is rubbish and besides I can still detect the voices.

Perhaps we do expect too much from this tool. I suspect, that it is somehow not meant to remove the voices from music in the sense it removes the singers, but perhaps it is designed to remove a random word or three spoken while music is playing. ~Tom~