Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
The Recurring Question: Best Machine Configuration?
chuckpuckett [Avatar]
Member Location: Alabama Joined: Jan 30, 2011 09:41 Messages: 95 Offline
[Post New]
I realize this sort of question crops up fairly regularly. But it needs to. The s/w changes, and more importantly, the hardware capabilities evolve. So...

What's the best machine for PowerDirector?

And btw, I also do a significant amount of audio mixing with Sonar X2, so multi-channel audio processing (and response) is also a consideration. Also, may as well assume Windows 7 as the operating system. Macs are not an option. Put more explicitly (and offering a range of replies):

• If "money were no object" (ha!), what hardware should desktop have for outstanding, "never lock up" video editing? You know: memory, processor(s), processor speed, disk space, video card, audio support.

• What configuration would you consider absolute minimum?

• Any brands you would never, ever consider?

• Any brands you would highly recommend?

• PD 11 killed my desktop last night (or perhaps it was my NVidia card in conjunction), and now I'm ranging my eyes over upgrade possibilities. Thanks for your input.

Chuck "TMI is okay on this one" Puckett
    "I don't want to steal the show. I only want to borrow it for a while."
    www.puckettpublishing.com Chuck Puckett
    "I don't want to steal the show. I only want to borrow it for a while"
    http://www.puckettpublishing.com
    http://www.chuckpuckettsongaweek.com
    BillHansen [Avatar]
    Senior Member Joined: Jan 03, 2012 12:43 Messages: 178 Offline
    [Post New]
    You have too many questions to answer in a single reply - but I'll try to give my own view, based on some very bed experiences 2+ years ago, and some very good experiences with PD 10 this year.

Processor - at least an Intel i5 at 1.6 GHz. Much better would be an i7 at 2.67 GHz or 3.1 GHz

Hard disc - probably 640 GB minimum, but 1 TB would give you some "head room". If you're going to store hundreds of videos on your primary HD, the sky's the limit in terms of needed HD space. However - remember that external HDs are inexpensive, so you can easily store your backups and your older graphics work (still photography, videos) on external HDs. Just don't try to use external HDs for your editing. They're too slow.

If you have the money for a solid state hard drive, SSD, they're significantly faster, assuming you have a good graphics card. But they are expensive, and that sort of speed isn't really necessary for video editing or display.

RAM - minimum would be 6 GB, in my opinion. That's what I have. 8 GB would be better, and 12 GB would give you a wide margin of safety. My 6 GB does very well for me.

Graphics card - something like a "high mid-range" graphics card, such as the GeForce 650, with 2 GB of onboard VRAM.

"never lock up" while editing? I don't think it's realistic to plan on "never locking up" while editing, even when editing still images. But the confidurations listed above should make lock-ups uncommon. Save your work frequently, and if your program (Photo SHop, PD 10, whatever) starts to slow down, save immediately and close your program, maybe even restart your computer. I have to do that if I've spent several hours of heavy editing of still images, or if I've tried to do too much, too fast, in video editing.

Bill Hansen
    James Dotson
    Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
    [Post New]
    Well, if money is no object, then obviously the fastest computer made, and customized to be faster. In reality, here is what I am planning. AMD FX processor, 6 core, 16 GB RAM, AMD chipset and series 6000 graphics card. Then, I will have to upgrade to 64-bit OS to take advantage of it all. 1 TB hard drives have gotten cheap enough that seems like the best option, and probably add a second internal drive.

Minimum...my dual core, 4 GB RAM systems works, but is starting to limit what I can get done. I strongly recommend extra cooling, too. __________________________________
    CORNBLOSSOM
    BillHansen [Avatar]
    Senior Member Joined: Jan 03, 2012 12:43 Messages: 178 Offline
    [Post New]
    Wow - that sounds like a great system Jaime. Question - how much advantage do you think the 16 GB of system RAM will have, over 8 to 12 GB? I'm only asking because I haven't been thinking about that much RAM, and the 6 GB I have presently does a good job. Do you do gaming on your computer, as well as working with graphics and videos? Bill Hansen
    James Dotson
    Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
    [Post New]
    I would say 8 to 12 would be fine. I am looking at 16 GB only because I will be starting from scratch and it is not much more expensive to buy it all at once, as opposed to buying less and adding more later. My current system has a 2GB memory chip that cost almost as much as the full 16 GB I am now looking at.

Simply put, if you have enough, then more will not help. If you have an AMD system make sure you get matched pairs. I don't know if Intel is the same.

I do very, very little gaming, but do work with large videos files, and sometimes have 20 GB or more loaded into one project. __________________________________
    CORNBLOSSOM
    CubbyHouseFilms
    Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
    [Post New]
    Hi Chuck

My specs are on my sign off.

PD10 & 11 work fine.

All the best Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
    CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
    My Vimeo Channel
    PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
    PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
    PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
    PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
    PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
    PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
    Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
    Full linked Tutorial Catalog
    - PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!