Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD still can't play audio of Baraka Blu-ray properly
Pakk [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 13, 2012 20:38 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I have been waiting since PowerDVD 9 for a new version that can decode the 96kHz/24-bit DTS-HD MA 5.1 track of the Baraka Blu-ray without artifacts/dropouts. Just tried the trial of PowerDVD 12, and it's still the same: intermittent dropouts in the audio, noticeable for example around 3:00 when the title appears.

Every new update it's more library, file and remix features and still core player functionality is broken. The audio plays fine in ArcSoft TMT by the way.

I've tried it on both Win 7 and XP and on an ALC889 audio chip which is on the list of supported cards.
flogger123 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 24, 2012 08:22 Messages: 63 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Pakk. Can you post some logs here? We can further check on whats going on.
Pakk [Avatar]
[Post New]
What kind of logs? Here is my DxDiag.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
25 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
286 time(s)
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I can not reproduce your issue on any available system here (NV/Intel/AMD)

The playback is smooth, without audio drop.

I checked your DXDIAG log:

1. Please update the AMD driver it is almost 1 year old
2. the VGA you use does not officially support HD audio bitstreaming (AMD supports this officially starting with Hd5xxx series) - you may check with your dealer/AMD website about this

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Pakk [Avatar]
[Post New]
This has nothing to do with my video card because I'm not using the HDMI out. Obviously if you use bitstream you will not notice any problems in the actual PowerDVD decoder!

When decoding the audio track (as in using speakers/headphones connected to the analog out of the soundcard) I get four crackles/dropouts during the time the title is on screen alone, in the same places every time, at 3:11, 3:20, 3:26, 3:28 (and no, the disc itself is fine, I've checked.)
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I have checked the Analogue decoding with:

5.1 Speaker Set
2.0 Speaker set
Headphones
2x PC
2x Notebook

and can still not reproduce the issue

greetings

Werde Facebook Fan
Pakk [Avatar]
[Post New]
And you are sure you're playing the DTS-HD track? Because the disc defaults to the DD5.1 track which works fine.

I've tried it on two different computers with the only common factors being:

(A) the same disc
(B) Realtek audio chip
(C) PowerDVD

And on both systems I get the crackling audio in the exact same timecodes as described above.

Ruling out the problems it cannot be (A) because there are no read errors on the disc, it plays exactly the same from disc as from hard drive, and there are no problems with the audio in TMT.

As for (B) it seems unlikely because they are two different chips (ALC889, which is supported according to CyberLink, and ALC269), I've tried updating the drivers, I've tried every single combination of output format and stereo/5.1/7.1 channel mode, and again there are no problems with the same audio coming from TMT.

This only leaves (C), that the decoded audio stream from PowerDVD simply isn't clean, and has those crackles "built-in". Again I've tried every kind of audio output and processing option in PowerDVD I could find and the crackles are always there, so it's either a problem with PowerDVD, or that PowerDVD has issues with the Realtek chips, which seems pretty bad considering it's probably the most common brand around.
[Post New]
Hi Pakk,

still can not reproduce your issue using the DTS option and PowerDVD decoding of DTS.

br

Werde Facebook Fan
Nicholas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 20, 2013 03:46 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
At least you can get to where it's play at all, I cant get it admit it knows the format of the media at all