Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Produced file size 10x larger
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote No, he produced it and it's actually 10GB. I have crappy WiFi speed where I'm at right now so I'm downloading it to my main PC and I'll post the MediaInfo details when it finishes.

EDIT: Here's the screenshot. For some reason, the video bitrate is 8Mbps and that blows up the file size:

More than likely because in this particular "Produce" case he has the older WMV encoder, the 8 Series, vs your 9 Series, or wmv2 vs wmv3. Microsoft made some pretty big changes.

His initial message was "When I prepare to produce it, every filetype shows a minimum of 12GB", hence my comment which still should be observed. If one looks at size at this prepare stage as was written, it's simply based on basic profile bitrate and duration. This is shown below for this 168min duration clip, keep in mind, audio bitrate fixed so not a perfect linear scaler with video bitrate but close.
6Mbps > 7.4GB
8Mbps > 9.8GB
10Mbps > 12.2GB
20Mbps > 23.9GB

This initial prepare approach is totally valid for action video, totally overestimated for this CAD training when a very large portion of the screen is static and long action video pauses during audio class discussions, WMV encoder 9 is extremely good for this capture bitrate profile he would have, it maintains great quality at low file size as it will adjust from less than 1Mbps all the way to say 10Mbps and even high instantaneously.

Jeff
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
That's really helpful to know, and what's interesting is that the source clip was captured with Screen Recorder 2 using the WMV3 codec, but the video produced by PD15 used WMV2. Seemds like the proper codecs are installed but PD didn't use the latest version of WMV.

Maybe this happened because two different machines were used, and so the DxDiag results for the producing PC should shed some light on which codecs are actually installed.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote That's really helpful to know, and what's interesting is that the source clip was captured with Screen Recorder 2 using the WMV3 codec, but the video produced by PD15 used WMV2. Seemds like the proper codecs are installed but PD didn't use the latest version of WMV.

Maybe this happened because two different machines were used, and so the DxDiag results for the producing PC should shed some light on which codecs are actually installed.

Cyberlink Screen Recorder 2 using WMV3, might check that, I doubt it. Original Cyberlink Screen Recorder, certainly WMV but depends what encoder was installed though for WMV3 or WMV2.

Jeff
JShep [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 05, 2017 19:42 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
It was done on the same machine.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Cyberlink Screen Recorder 2 using WMV3, might check that, I doubt it. Original Cyberlink Screen Recorder, certainly WMV but depends what encoder was installed though for WMV3 or WMV2.

Jeff

My mistake on the "2." Please see the MediaInfo from the source clip. It's WMV3, yet the same PC using PD15 produced using WMV2, so that's what we've got to fix to reduce the finished file size.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 21. 2018 12:54

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote My mistake on the "2." Please see the MediaInfo from the source clip. It's WMV3, yet the same PC using PD15 produced using WMV2, so that's what we've got to fix to reduce the finished file size.

I suspect that's because the user has loaded a 3rd party encoder/codec package, note the WM/EncoderSettings for the DirectShow lav filter in the MediaInfo you linked for his trimmed 2hr 48min production. I suspect this WM encoder settings description and details are modifing the use to WMV2 and also tweaking the quality to give the larger file size. Basically, my thought is that what he has is not a straight up PD15 WMV encode setting, your 2hr 48min produce is missing this detail.

Jeff