Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
No Audio on MP4 video clips
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Andrew -

That's a strange problem, so it's difficult to isolate the cause.

As tomasc suggested, could you attach a sample of the clips that are somehow "losing their audio" when imported into PDR15? At least then, you'd be able to get confirmation... or we might get closer to a solution.

Since this issue isn't being widely reported, doesn't that tell you your idea that CL has deliberately crippled PDR15 isn't verified?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Have you tried re-installing your Powerdirector 15?

Unless you are using the Live version of Powerdirector 15, there is absolutely no reason for Cyberlink to disable the audio in PD 15 just because PD 16 came out.

Besides, I have PowerDirector 15 Ultimate and Powerdirector 16 Live installed on this computer, both work correctly. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

andrewkf [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 10, 2017 18:16 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Andrew -

As tomasc suggested, could you attach a sample of the clips that are somehow "losing their audio" when imported into PDR15? At least then, you'd be able to get confirmation... or we might get closer to a solution.

Since this issue isn't being widely reported, doesn't that tell you your idea that CL has deliberately crippled PDR15 isn't verified?

Cheers - Tony

Yes I suppose it does. But I really can't see a way forward, so going to have to find a more stable software.
andrewkf [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Have you tried re-installing your Powerdirector 15?

Unless you are using the Live version of Powerdirector 15, there is absolutely no reason for Cyberlink to disable the audio in PD 15 just because PD 16 came out.

Besides, I have PowerDirector 15 Ultimate and Powerdirector 16 Live installed on this computer, both work correctly.

Yes, twice with the original download and a fresh download installed to no avail.
andrewkf [Avatar]
[Post New]
This problem has been reported by others. A quick google identified the problem as a codec issue with MP4. My work around was to use AVS Video converter, as per instructions from another site. I converted MP4 to MP4 and it worked, enabling me to work on several long video files in PD15, with audio displaying correctly. Clearly the codec used in AVS is one you should update to in PD15,

Hope this saves people a lot of time and frustration.

Andrew
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
"Hope this saves people a lot of time and frustration."

Unfortunately that will never be the case as there is no precise information whatsoever in the whole thread. The result is that it ends up as the sort of misinformation that others make the mistake of repeating as proof of a completely unrelated situation.
hotmixstudio [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 01, 2009 19:02 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I also have this problem of no audio from an .avi video In Powerdirector 16. No Audi is shown on the track either. It plays fine on vlc but not in Powerdirector 16, 15 or 14. Video is H.264 AVC 6 mbps 1920x1080 - 30fps. Audio is AAC 16kbps w sample rate of 8 khz.

When I Convert/Save it in VLC as MP4 it plays correctly and shows the audio in Powerdirector 16. Audio is shown on the track.
JonathanS [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 17, 2016 19:53 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
I've recently reinstalled PD 15, and for some reason whenever it launches, it mutes playback. It's annoying that I have to un-mute it each time, but for me it's a simple click on the preview window, or through the Playback menu.
Majik [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 04, 2018 16:18 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Andrew -

Cheers - Tony

Hi, sorry for the necro post. I just wanted to let people know what causes this problem.

If your sound card supports bitrates above 16 bit, you have to change the output bitrate to 16 bit or Power Director won't output sound.

I had my sound card set to 32 bit, and no sound was coming out. When I set it to 16 bit 44KHz, sound started working.