Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD13 - Resolved - Capturing from VCR Player and Old Sharp 8ViewCam - Dropping Frames like mad
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, all!

These capture card devices are generally "plug-and-play", if software comes with them, it's usually a bare-bones(cut-down) version of a popular editing software thrown in for the desired purpose, but when a user starts to "explore the possibilities of the software, he/she is disappointed to learn that in this bare-bones version, many of the "features" are not available. The capture card itself, is effectively a stand-alone device that will work with any editing software. It's far better to chase down a full version of the editing software than settle for the bare-bones version that came with the device. As for quality of performance, the old adage, "suck it and see" applies. If the capture device delivers a reasonable quality feed to your computer, well and good. If not.... well..... always try for another later. The first one I had, gave good video feed but the audio quality was attrocious, I bypassed the audio connections and fed the audio in via the line-in of my computer, had problems in that department but better that than the horrid audio delivered by that first card. The next card was a Pinnacle "Dazzle", it did the job, and gave good audio but then I struck a problem where I was getting false triggers of the "copy-protected" warning. I learned later that the false trigger was due to the condition of the tape. The capture card I'm using now does the job just fine for me(K-World brand).

Cheers!

Neil.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: The first one I had, gave good video feed but the audio quality was attrocious, I bypassed the audio connections and fed the audio in via the line-in of my computer, had problems in that department but better that than the horrid audio delivered by that first card.

That is the way I captured with the pci connected video capture cards on my old win xp pc because you can adjust the audio level separately via the sound card record volume control settings.
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
Now have the VCR player eating video cassettes but, hey, that's an inherent characteristic of the beast! Will give it a good cleaning and see if that helps - other than that we have one lined up to borrow.

This thread is resolved! Thanks guys.
CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Yeah, CS!

I think we've gone as far as we can go on this thread. But just a word or two on videocassette formats, anyone remember the earliest Philips-devised "VCR" cassettes? Cartridges made of cardboard.... yeah, that's right... cardboard(though it was thick cardboard) and the feed and take-up reels were concentric(feed above take-up). They were limited to 1-hour record and playback, and the machines were notorious for chewing up the tapes! Just thought I'd shed a historical light on this subject before closing.

Cheers!

Neil.