Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problem upgrading from PD12 to PD14 using backup disk, on PC in remote cabin with no internet access
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, all!

The behaviour of software companies toward the end-users of their "product" will see many more "pirated" versions of their software installed and used, with the result that there'll be hardly anyone "logging in" to their websites because hardly anyone will be using official copies of their product's installation discs. This is the reality of computer software, due to price of product and restrictive license conditions. If the recording industry applied the same licencing conditions to the use of their LPs or CDs(or even cassettes, for that matter), that industry would be "dead in the water". No-one's going to buy an LP, CD or cassette of their favourite music if they're going to be restricted to playing it on one turntable, CD player or cassette deck.

We are the end users of this software, we are the "life blood" of these software companies, thus it should be us, and us alone, who shall determine how we use the product! Once the software company has developed the product and put it out for sale, their job is done. We, the end users, buy the product(for anyting between $80 and $250, depending on exchange rates and other factors), not cheap! We get it home and install it on our computer. In doing so we're greeted with this "end user agreement" we must tick the "I Agree" box before the installation can proceed. No tick in the box, installation stops! How rude!

Cheers!

Neil.
[Post New]
Well, I get their point... somehow they need to sell the product. It's fair.
However, this "activation" process didn't work as desired (as in preventing piracy) for MS with their WindowsXP, 7, 8 and 10 or Office suite. Didn't work for Adobe or Autodesk either.
And even if it worked, they are thinking that all those pirated copies are lost revenue? Wishful thinking... 90% of those "pirates" would not use their product anyway, I think that they are more like kids trying different things, not serious users.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Well, I get their point... somehow they need to sell the product. It's fair.
However, this "activation" process didn't work as desired (as in preventing piracy) for MS with their WindowsXP, 7, 8 and 10 or Office suite. Didn't work for Adobe or Autodesk either.
And even if it worked, they are thinking that all those pirated copies are lost revenue? Wishful thinking... 90% of those "pirates" would not use their product anyway, I think that they are more like kids trying different things, not serious users.

Hi, SoNic!

As I see it, the software companies defeat their own purposes by making the product so expensive, and by putting their restrictive licensing on their product. They'll never defeat the "pirates"(arrrr, me 'earties, we be piratin' softwares!) no matter what they try, the pirates will find a way around the "safeguards". If the product was not as expensive(in Australian dollars, for example, a software product[any software] may retail for well over $100, too heavy a price for many, especially after laying out over $1,000 for the computer itself, that thousand bucks being saved up for many months). If software prices were down around $20 or so, much more of it will be sold and the companies would make their money back a lot more easily! Product price can be a deal-breaker for items of any description! As for the licensing regime, I've covered that elsewhere(earlier comment of mine on this thread).

Cheers!

Neil.