Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
bug : AAC audio encoder in MP4 file sounds very bad
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Apr 14, 2011 01:34 Messages: 476 Offline
[Post New]
Tony,

Quote:
Quote: Andrew, you can only choose LPCM for a very limited set of profiles in PowerDirector, unfortunately.

This *table* probably shows the reason for that. It's not just a PowerDirector thing.

Many entries in the table are simply wrong or out of date.

For example, the Sony FDR-AX33 camcorder I had for a few weeks created some XAVC S .MP4 files with LPCM audio in them (and high bit rate H.264 video). I still have some footage files that it created.

Yet, PowerDirector does not allow creating any MP4 files with LPCM, either in H.264, HEVC (H.265) or XAVC S. This is clearly a product limitation in PowerDirector.

Also, according to the second table on that page, AVI and MPG formats support either PCM or LPCM, yet PowerDirector does not let you create AVI or MPEG-2 files with PCM or LPCM audio.

It looks like Windows Media WMV files can also have PCM audio in them . See :

http://www.machetesoft.com/how-to/extract-audio-from-video.html

But again, Powerdirector does not allow PCM audio in Windows Media.

Remember that PCM/LPCM are lossless/uncompressed audio, and are the easiest to support from a software point of view.

In reality, every single file video file format that Powerdirector supports is capable of containing PCM, but Cyberlink only chose to provide an option to encode PCM in a few of them.

Furthermore, PowerDirector only allows one bit rate for PCM, which is 1536 kbps. This corresponds to 16-bit stereo 48 kHz PCM audio.

If you want PCM audio with 24-bit audio, or more than 2 channels, or a 96 kHz sampling rate, you are simply out of luck with PowerDirector. This is one area where PowerDirector falls far short of professional video software. MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 960 4GB
480 GB Patriot Ignite SSD (boot)
2 x 480 GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD (striped)
6 x 1 TB Samsung 860 SSD (striped)

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
Asus PB238 23" HD (portrait)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Julien Pierre -

I don't mind admitting that it doesn't take too much to "tech-timidate" me (not my word - I read it somewhere). I followed up with some further investigation but only got myself more bamboozled. I'm yet to find an NLE or other video producing software that will render MP4 with LPCM audio - certainly nothing I have installed here.

Yes - I have a Sony camera that shoots MP4 with LPCM audio. So does the Pana GH4. You had an AX33 & you let it go?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Apr 14, 2011 01:34 Messages: 476 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks Julien Pierre -
I'm yet to find an NLE or other video producing software that will render MP4 with LPCM audio - certainly nothing I have installed here.

I don't have it installed anymore, but I believe Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12 allows this combination, and many others.

I had other issues with this editor, though. Rendering times were very slow. The UI was far more responsive than PowerDirector, however.

When PD13 added the ability to synchronize tracks based on audio, I gave up on the Sony editor. The manual audio synchronization was by far the longest task in my workflow. I don't believe Sony has caught up with Cyberlink in this one area yet, at least not in the consumer version of their software.

Yes - I have a Sony camera that shoots MP4 with LPCM audio. So does the Pana GH4. You had an AX33 & you let it go?

Cheers - Tony

Yes, I returned it because I found the indoor performance to be poor, and the picture quality was actually inferior to my 7 year old Canon HG21 HD camera for my use case on a tripod. PQ was much better on the AX33 when handholding outdoors, but it wasn't the primary reason I bought the AX33.

FYI, here is my Amazon review of the AX33 :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/ROU9K4UJCXICG/ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00R5LH9G0

Julien

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 06. 2015 23:52

MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 960 4GB
480 GB Patriot Ignite SSD (boot)
2 x 480 GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD (striped)
6 x 1 TB Samsung 860 SSD (striped)

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
Asus PB238 23" HD (portrait)
Douglas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 04, 2016 06:03 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
SOUND CONVERSION PROBLEMS...
I have a good sound card and a powerful workstation and I have noticed exactly the same issue when trying to create Mp4 video.
The sound quality is very poor and I am looking into changing my editor too.
Current version: PowerDirector 14 Ultimate
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Douglas,
Rather than add your concerns to another editor's thread, please start a new topic. See guides on how to add information that members need, to assist you.
Links:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/forums/show/152.page
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/45455.page
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/45453.page

Thread closed.
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 06. 2016 01:57