Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
♥ PowerDirector 14 Ultimate Tutorials from PD University ♥
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Time-lapse love from PowerDirector University. laughing

Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Subscribe to PDU Mobile on YouTube.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, Maliek!

Your calculations for 24frames/second are fine for NTSC, but you should also recognise that quite a lot of us, in Australia and New Zealand, Britain and several parts of Europe, are working in the PAL colour system which is based on 25 frames/second. Also, instructions on how to pull in content from SD-card or computer hard-drive, You only need to click on the first, or any one of the items(stills or video clips) to highlight it, then, Ctrl+A will grab all items and import them to library. I note you were working with the sample items still in situ in the library, before importing the wanted content, these samples should be removed(settings in User Preferences can ensure that the samples are not loaded upon each opening of Power Director. With the samples now out of the way and only the wanted content, again a click to highlight any one of the items, then Ctrl+A will bring them all onto the timeline. Hope that's of help.

Cheers!

Neil
innuganti@att.net [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Oklahoma City Joined: Dec 08, 2015 09:07 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Maliek,

I enjoyed your videos very much - I am a newbie for PD 14 - Kind of forced to get PD14 after my computer was upgraded to Windows 10. I used PD 6.0 for a very long time and they are not even close. Since I got PD14, when I try to capture my video from my Sony Camcorder, the screen goes blank and will not let me capture. When this same thing happened on PD6 on Win10, they recommended me to upgrade to PD14 to solve the issue. Seems like that did not fix the issue, am I missing some updates that would fix this issue. I cannot make a video unless I capture what I got on my Sony. Customer Support is not helping yet! Do you have any advise for me? Thank you for everything you do in this forum.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, innuganti@att.net!

If your Sony camera is SD Card-based, an alternate method of getting the content would be to extract the SD Card from your camera and insert same into a card reader on your computer. If your computer doesn't have an inbuilt card reader, you can buy a USB card reader(plugs into any USB port on your computer), and insert your SD Card into this device, then from there you can copy any or all content from your SD card into a folder you've created on your computer. Once you've done that, you open PD14 and go to Import Media and select the folder that contains your clips from your SD Card, you can then import any or all content into the "library" and pull it into the timeline from there. Hope that's of help to you.

Cheers!

Neil.
[Post New]
Hello Neil,

My Sony camera is not SD card based and I have used it for 4 years with PD v.6.0 to read from the micro-tapes. These tapes are 60 minute long micro. Before windows 10 upgrade on my computer, I was able to do that pretty efficiently with PD v. 6.0. I bought PD v. 14 only because someone said the win 10 is not compatible with v. 6 Any ideas will be appreciated very much. Thank you for your help.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
innuganti - You need to start s new topic post as your question has nothing to do with the OP here. Those MicroMV tapes were obsolete a long time ago. See this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroMV . You may find some ideas here. Looks like win movie maker is not supported with win 10 and as far as I know even DV-AVI capture support is not well supported with newer versions of many NLE's. Did not know that PD6 supported it. You may want to contact Cyberlink support for help.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, innuganti@att.net!

In lght of your revelation regarding your camera, operating, as it does, in a now-so-called-obsolete format(not quite so if you can still obtain tapes for it, e.g. Video-8 and Hi-8 tapes are still available for that camera format), I can only suggest you connect your camera to your computer via video capture card. These devices are generally "plug-and-play" and often come with a software package which is a cut-down version of the most recent Power Director programme. Their adverting blurb runs along the lines of "Turn your old VHS tapes into DVDs!" Funny how they always forget about Beta and other formats!

Anyway, These capture cards have composite video, plus left and right channel stereo audio inputs and often also have S-Video(S-VHS, usually labeled) inputs to which you connect the output of your camera, that you used to connect to the A/V input of an old VHS or Beta VCR for dubbing(ah, the good old days! ha-ha). The capture card then plugs into any USB port on your computer. On first connection, a little warning may appear telling you the device is "recognised and ready to use", which simply means that Power Director or any other video capture/editing software will accept signals fed from this device. You then simply set the programme to "capture", start your tape and click on the record icon.... and away-y-y-y you go! Obsolescence problems overcome!

Cheers!

Neil.
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Learn how to create beautiful slideshows using the Theme Designer.

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Haliek!

I was about to reply to your latest post but the website briefly went off-line("website could not be found" warning on my screen) but it's back now so here's my comment. The theme (photo & video) designer might give me ideas for later use but for the moment I'm just using the PD for normal editing purposes.

Cheers for now.

Neil.
Maliek [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi, Maliek!

Your calculations for 24frames/second are fine for NTSC, but you should also recognise that quite a lot of us, in Australia and New Zealand, Britain and several parts of Europe, are working in the PAL colour system which is based on 25 frames/second. Also, instructions on how to pull in content from SD-card or computer hard-drive, You only need to click on the first, or any one of the items(stills or video clips) to highlight it, then, Ctrl+A will grab all items and import them to library. I note you were working with the sample items still in situ in the library, before importing the wanted content, these samples should be removed(settings in User Preferences can ensure that the samples are not loaded upon each opening of Power Director. With the samples now out of the way and only the wanted content, again a click to highlight any one of the items, then Ctrl+A will bring them all onto the timeline. Hope that's of help.

Cheers!

Neil

Thanks for sharing those observations Neil. I should definitely mention the PAL settings and will try to do so in the future.

I leave the samples in the library to give it the same look as it is when most people use the software. Just makes it more familiar to them. I have a tutorial on how to remove the items from the library (just haven't uploaded it yet).

I'll be sure to include the keyboard shortcuts as well. That's more a choice not to than anything else but the more info the better for the end user.

Thanks for your feedback I truly appreciate it. Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Maliek!

How's everything?

The poster, with the older Sony DV-Tape-based camera, innuganti, wonder how he got on converting his camera tapes, that might be a subject for a future tutorial..."Capturing and Editing from Analogue Video Sources".Even though there's a proliferation of digital video-cameras on the market, there are a few out there still relying on older analogue system cameras to shoot their home movies, or, they have a backlog of old tapes they want to "rescue" before they deteriorate, be they VHS(and its off-shoot, VHS-C), Beta, the (now-obscure) Video-2000 system, Video-8/Hi-8, Mini-DV and any other format you could think of. Capture card devices were marketed for just such a purpose. A tutorial could cover aspect ratio conversion from 4:3 to 16:9 with CLPV(a feature I've been putting to very good use of late) and touching up a clip with "Fix/Enhance".

Cheers!

Neil.
[Post New]
Hello Neil and Maliek!

Thanks for everything you do. My Sony DCR IP5 camcorder was bought in 2003 and shot videos and recorded until Sep. 2015 using Power Director v. 6.0 with no issues. Windows 10 came in October and since then I was not able to capture my videos. Cyberlink just told to buy PD 14 and it will be all OK. Absolutely not - Should we blame old camcorder, Windows 10 or CyberLink. It seems like CyberLink customer service is not taking any interest. My Sony was connected with firewire to my desktop. I got only 3 mini DV 60 min. tapes with the camera and I am out of luck until I convert them to movies.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello, innuganti!

This suggestion may appear low-tech to you, but it could provide the answer to getting your 3 Mini-DV tapes finally copied to computer. The use of the camera's output to a TV(monitor), a cord will have been provided as part of your camera's "kit", it will be terminated at one end with colour-coded RCA plugs(red and white for the stereo left and right audio, yellow for the composite video) The other end will have a four-conductor phone plug that connects to the afforementioned TV through it's like-colour-coded RCA sockets. Well, instead of connecting your camera to a TV Monitor, connect it instead via a capture card device to your computer. The firewire will be no good to you by now, so the capture card would be your only real option. These devices are generally "plug-and-play" so, once the device is connected to your computer via a spare USB port, it will take a few seconds for the computer to "recognise" the device and you're up and running. Because the DV tapes are digital, set your capture profile to DVD-SP or DVD-HQ(DVD-LP is really for older analogue VHS or Video-8/Hi-8 tapes). Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Neil.
[Post New]
Thank you Neil - Appreciate the advise. I will get the Capture card soon and will try it. Looks like I have no other choice.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, innuganti!

It will certainly help. A friend of mine has two Canon(branded) cameras that use that format(Mini-DV tape), he brought his camera and tapes to me to edit for him and that's how I captured the content for edit. Through the capture card the picture came up surprisingly well, the card caused no appreciable image quality loss and I was able to edit a very good quality movie off those tapes. However, for the sake of honesty I have to admit, the captured device I was using at the time(my first), while it gave good video, the same could not be said of the audio feed, in fact the audio through the card was woeful, so bad that I had to bypass it and feed the audio through the line-in of my computer's sound card(via an audio mixer I used to feed in signal from a turntable, cassette deck or microphone). The computer I was using had Windows XP and I was running PD7 at the time and I wasn't on the internet. The sound card caused little audio drop-outs at places through the video. Successive cards gave me much better results in audio and video. The next card was a Pinnacle "Dazzle" and the one I use now is a K-World card. I only replaced the Dazzle as I thought it was the culprit when I kept getting false copy-protect triggers off my VHS tapes as I transferred them. Turned out the triggering was caused by the wear and tear on the tapes themselves. Your Mini-DV tapes won't trigger such an alert so you'll have no problem in that department. What's more, if you shot your DV content in 16:9, though the capture process automatically assumes 4:3 aspect ratio, you'll be able to reinstate the 16:9 aspect through that facility in PD14(or any previous version).

Cheers!

Neil.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Please Cyberlink!

Will you sort out your notification posting! I've lost count of the emails I've received saying "Your topic (topic title) has received an answer since your last visit. You can access this message using the following link". When I click on the link I discover it's MY OWN post! This situation is truly getting to be an annoyance. Dafydd, could you please pass this post through to Cyberlink? This has gone beyond joking!

Thank, You.

Neil.
Maliek [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi, Maliek!

How's everything?

The poster, with the older Sony DV-Tape-based camera, innuganti, wonder how he got on converting his camera tapes, that might be a subject for a future tutorial..."Capturing and Editing from Analogue Video Sources".Even though there's a proliferation of digital video-cameras on the market, there are a few out there still relying on older analogue system cameras to shoot their home movies, or, they have a backlog of old tapes they want to "rescue" before they deteriorate, be they VHS(and its off-shoot, VHS-C), Beta, the (now-obscure) Video-2000 system, Video-8/Hi-8, Mini-DV and any other format you could think of. Capture card devices were marketed for just such a purpose. A tutorial could cover aspect ratio conversion from 4:3 to 16:9 with CLPV(a feature I've been putting to very good use of late) and touching up a clip with "Fix/Enhance".

Cheers!

Neil.

If only I had some of those files to support that type of video. Also, I truly have not ben immersed in the older formats in many many years so my experience would not be current. Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Maliek [Avatar]
[Post New]
Zooming in on a subject in post is easy to do using the crop power tool in PowerDirector.

Maliek [Avatar]
[Post New]
Learn how to make audio adjustments in PowerDirector 14 Ultimate.

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:

If only I had some of those files to support that type of video. Also, I truly have not ben immersed in the older formats in many many years so my experience would not be current.

Hi, Maliek!

I do have a VHS recorder hooked up to my computer via capture card and, of late have been doing quite a bit of "rescue" work for a friend who has tapes of her family, going back to the turn of the century(20th to 21st, that is). A little touching up here and there and these old VHS tapes scrub up quite okay on DVD! CLPV proves useful here as well, bringing these old 4:3 aspect ratio clips out to 16:9 without making the people in the clips look like they've been "raiding the refridgerator"(ha-ha) really brings these old cips "up-to-date", as it were.

Cheers!

Neil.
AlS
Senior Member Location: South Africa Joined: Sep 23, 2014 18:07 Messages: 290 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Maliek. Great work as usual!
Power Director 13&14 Ultimate, Photo Director 6, Audio Dir, Pwr2Go 10
Win 10 64, Intel MB DH87MC, Intel i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16Gb DDR3 1600, 128Gb SSD, 2x1Tb WDBlue 7200rpmSATA6, Intel 4600 GPU, Gigabyte G1 GTX960 4GB, LG BluRay Writer