Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Color Director - correcting clips from multiple cameras
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hello Julien Pierre,

Thank you for uploading the project files. I downloaded the first project (only) to work on & I believe CDR has given us (at least) a starting point.

The point you made about not being able to do a side-by-side comparison in CDR, in order to match clips from different cameras, is a valid one. I overcame that, partially, by opening a snapshot from the HD video in PhD to give me a reference point.

Adjustments were only made to the Sony 4K clip to bring it closer to the HD one. Here's a snapshot from your original project (top) and the adjusted clip (bottom).

I saved the adjustments as a CDR preset and uploaded to DirectorZone - http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/detail/124826751 It's a beginning point. Once you apply it, switch to manual to see the adjustments made, though the illustration on DZ gives an idea (scroll down)

To put the CDR adjusted clip to the test, I produced it in a short project in PDR 14. You can download the produced file here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_yokCW6H_crUzNDcm9TRlNoZFE/view?usp=sharing

PIX

Nice one Pix, I decided NOT to download Julien's files as I felt they were too large for samples. I think you've achieved a good starting point. The 4k does look more natural with the HD having a slight warmer cast but pretty close from 2 different types of cameras.

Personaly I think I would have played with the lighting set up a bit more before shooting the video to try and create a bit more depth to the subject. I feel that the reflected light from the "off white" walls is adding a colour cast to the subject compounding problem with colour correcting/matching. I know this is a separate issue to what Julien first described but I feel it may be worth mentioning!.

Having said all that, I have no way of knowing if it were possible to achieve a different lighting set up or move the cameras as room to manoeuvre could well be an issue.

One way around showing 2 separate video tracks is to create a split screen on your time line. ( I have already mention this in my previous comment ) and use 2 video tracks in the timeline! It does work as I've had to use this scenario in previous productions.

Good luck Juilien on your work, you do appear to be a very accomplished pianist ( if that is the correct term?) and the short clip I've listened too sounds wonderful. I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Apr 14, 2011 01:34 Messages: 476 Offline
[Post New]
PIX,

Thanks for helping with this ! I'm sorry I haven't been responding earlier. I have run into more pressing issues with PowerDirector production bugs.

Here is a link to the public video for the original clip.

I will render and upload the 12 minute clip to show all the other issues.

Julien

Quote: Hello Julien Pierre,

Thank you for uploading the project files. I downloaded the first project (only) to work on & I believe CDR has given us (at least) a starting point.

The point you made about not being able to do a side-by-side comparison in CDR, in order to match clips from different cameras, is a valid one. I overcame that, partially, by opening a snapshot from the HD video in PhD to give me a reference point.

Adjustments were only made to the Sony 4K clip to bring it closer to the HD one. Here's a snapshot from your original project (top) and the adjusted clip (bottom).

I saved the adjustments as a CDR preset and uploaded to DirectorZone - http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/detail/124826751 It's a beginning point. Once you apply it, switch to manual to see the adjustments made, though the illustration on DZ gives an idea (scroll down)

To put the CDR adjusted clip to the test, I produced it in a short project in PDR 14. You can download the produced file here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_yokCW6H_crUzNDcm9TRlNoZFE/view?usp=sharing

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 25. 2015 06:19

MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 960 4GB
480 GB Patriot Ignite SSD (boot)
2 x 480 GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD (striped)
6 x 1 TB Samsung 860 SSD (striped)

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
Asus PB238 23" HD (portrait)
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
Kyle,

Quote:
Nice one Pix, I decided NOT to download Julien's files as I felt they were too large for samples. I think you've achieved a good starting point. The 4k does look more natural with the HD having a slight warmer cast but pretty close from 2 different types of cameras.

Agree, he did a good job, now I have to see how we went about it and reproduce it for the other clips.

Personaly I think I would have played with the lighting set up a bit more before shooting the video to try and create a bit more depth to the subject. I feel that the reflected light from the "off white" walls is adding a colour cast to the subject compounding problem with colour correcting/matching. I know this is a separate issue to what Julien first described but I feel it may be worth mentioning!.

There is a bit of flexibility about placing the position & orientation of the flood lights on the ceiling, which are on a sliding rod.
The ceiling is 10ft so doing that requires a ladder. The harpsichord is in a tight corner of the room too. I will send a picture later. There is also a 9ft grand piano in the same room.

In general, I want to have enough light towards the keyboard to see the key and read the music, though.

Having said all that, I have no way of knowing if it were possible to achieve a different lighting set up or move the cameras as room to manoeuvre could well be an issue.

Yes, it's possible to move the cameras, to a degree.

The project that PIX corrected was worked on the same day for both cameras, so that's actually the easier one to correct.

For the other clips, they have been shot at various times of the year, as I learn the pieces one by one. But I want to put them all together in one video. Sometimes I record during the day, usually at night. This can change the lighting as well.

I'm not a professional so I can't play everything well in one sitting. I have been learning to play as an adult actually, and am still taking lessons. I do a lot of takes, usually many hours to yield just a couple of minutes of usable footage.

One way around showing 2 separate video tracks is to create a split screen on your time line. ( I have already mention this in my previouscomment ) and use 2 video tracks in the timeline! It does work as I've had to use this scenario in previous productions.

OK, I will look at doing that. For now, I can I use multiple monitors and adjust one video while looking at the other one in another program in the other monitor. But I can't make adjustments to both at the same time.

Good luck Juilien on your work, you do appear to be a very accomplished pianist ( if that is the correct term?) and the short clip I've listened too sounds wonderful.

Thanks ! Actually the instrument is a harpsichord . I also play piano, but I'm better on the harpsichord. It's more suitable for the time of music I play, which is baroque.

Julien MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
FYI, my larger project is uploaded to Youtube here :

This was rendered only in 6 Mbps bit rate so not so high quality.

The transition points to new video clips are at
1:38 (no color issue here)
2:57
4:44
6:05
7:16
8:29
9:06 (no color issue here)
9:56
10:52

Some issues are clearly due to incorrect white balance on the camera.
I really don't want to reshoot all the footage as it took a lot of effort for me to get the pieces to this technical state - these were my best takes. I would like to correct them in software.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 25. 2015 14:41

MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
[Post New]
Hello Julien,

I incorrectly assumed you were attempting to edit each piece of music as a multi-cam production, switching from one camera to the other. No matter, the problem remains the same. Different cameras interpret colours & light differently & we need to try to match them more closely.

In the case of the Bach French Suite video, where each movement is recorded separately at different times with different clothing and different cameras, you may "get away with" visually separating each section with a plain colour board & title (5 seconds or so). I know that's not a real solution, but it would disguise the colour differences a little.

When I worked on the colour correction, I wasn't sure whether you wanted the "look" to be more like the Sony 4K clips or the Canon HD ones - or somewhere in between.

Kyle's advice about consistent recording conditions is perfect, of course. but not after the event! laughing Perhaps a JP Harpsichord t-shirt might be in order for your recordings?

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 26. 2015 02:50

PIX YouTube channel