Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD Ultra will not activate
Niels [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 17, 2008 16:35 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
mine just... 3 hours ago, i'm in holland
Joseph [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 15, 2008 07:27 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
They sent me the most insane solution to resolving the problem. I followed it until it didn't work as expected so I asked for a refund.

I'm done with this company's cr*ppy software.

If a copy protection scheme interferes with the ability to run software, it's not worth owning in my opinion.
Jeny [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 17, 2008 16:15 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Based on what I've been reading here (since I have the same problem y'all have) I decided to ask for a refund. However, the process pages keep linking me to pages in circles without ever taking me the actual refund page described. Have any of you found that page and can link it here?
Daisuke [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Oct 03, 2006 06:25 Messages: 354 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

The activation bug should be fixed now.
Please try to activate your PowerDVD.

John [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 17, 2008 05:35 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry Daisuke... still not fixed! It still says I have an incorrect serial key when i have checked, rechecked and triple checked the copied and pasted serial key from the cyberlink email.

*sigh* first impressions count, and im not impressed.
Russ [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 18, 2008 01:52 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I've been trying for the last hour or so and the problem is NOT fixed.
I just bought the software tonight as well AND registered it AND went through all the issues such as shutting off my virus scanner AND windows firewall and nothing has solved the problem.

I've never had these kind of problems with any other software.
Jeny [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 17, 2008 16:15 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I tried and it did work. One thing I did though was I deleted the program and re-installed it without the Mooo-vie cartoon-y thing. I don't know if that made a difference, but it did work this time after almost 24 hours of nothing.

For what it's worth, if they are working on a problem and it's just a matter of time, how hard is it to just reply to support tickets with a "we hope to have it resolved in a day or so"? I don't mind being patient if I know they are trying to work on the problem. But hours of no response at all makes you feel either ignored or scammed.
Russ [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 18, 2008 01:52 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Mine finally updated. *whew*

I too installed it the first time without the cartoony thing.

I'm glad it finally worked.
rcheng [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 17, 2008 00:05 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
They finally replied to my ticket 24 hours later. They told me the problem was related to my PC not able to find the activation server. I have access to the internet the whole time so I don't know what the problem is. BTW, I am running Vista 64.

Anyway, they gave me a link to another download but had to wait another 24hrs before I am allowed to download it.

Apparently, this new download works by accepting your activation key without online activation.

I finally got it running 48hrs after purchase. A very poor buying experience!

Good luck
Ngoc-thai [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 18, 2008 09:51 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
What is the return policie if we can activate the software.
Michael [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 24, 2008 21:43 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Same problem here, I just bought it about an hour ago and have been trying to activate it, no dice.

For such an expensive product you would think this sort of issue is rare? It's also a shame since this software is the only good DVD/Blu ray playback software I have ever encountered on PC (Nero was just a pile of crap).

I'm on Vista 64 bit, if it makes any difference.
Shawn [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 22, 2008 13:45 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: For what it's worth, if they are working on a problem and it's just a matter of time, how hard is it to just reply to support tickets with a "we hope to have it resolved in a day or so"?
Jeny this is probably because none of them speak english or care about us as the customer even a tiny bit.

Quote: It's also a shame since this software is the only good DVD/Blu ray playback software I have ever encountered on PC (Nero was just a pile of crap).
Michael, you can always try WinDVD 9 Plus Bluray. I have NO problems with any aspect of it even down to letting me use my mouse buttons on java discs. I have not once had a problem with Corel's software, and I must agree Nero is just under being as much crap as Cyberlink's awfull software.
Michael [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ah, well, I already BOUGHT this, so there's nothing I can do but wait for them to email me with a fix. The trial worked wonderfully for the 30 days that it lasted, played every dvd and blu ray that I threw at it in great quality. If I could only use the copy I just PAID for, it would be great!
Jason [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 28, 2008 11:42 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Mines Junk too! This is total BS!!!!
Michael [Avatar]
[Post New]
Oh man. They sent me a second serial number and it didn't work either.
I emailed them back with some system specs and the error code in hopes that they will finally fix it!
Neill [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 14, 2008 15:10 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Having the same issue. Purchased December 14th but have heard nothing back from them.
Alessandro [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 16, 2008 17:25 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Same problem: damn'it
garrett [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 16, 2008 22:15 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Purchased Dec 16th .... will not activate!!!

Starting to sound familiar
Bryan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 16, 2008 18:13 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Purchased Dec 15th, still can not activate. This is some of the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Keeps saying... "CyberLink PowerDVD was not activated because a connection to the activation server could not be established. Check your Internet connection and then try again." My connection is fine. This is bs!!!! Two support tickets and 2 days later, no response and no fix.
Neill [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 14, 2008 15:10 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Got it working. On the 15th I decided to see if it was my system so I uninstalled PowerDVD. Then rebooted. Then removed the file "cyberlink" in progam files. Then rebooted again. Then installed PowerDVD 8 and rebooted. Then I installed the latest patch for Power DVD 8 Ultra on the website. Then rebooted. All the while I never opened the program. Then I opened the program and put the key in and it worked. I know it's a lot but I'd try it since it takes days for customer support to respond.
Bryan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 16, 2008 18:13 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
When I try to install the patch is says it can't. Says something I do not have PowerDVD 8 installed or that this patch is not intended for this version of PowerDVD. I bought PowerDVD 8 Ultra so this should work, or maybe that's the problem, they did not give me the right version of the software to begin with.