Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Transitions change in time 30 fps and 60 fps
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I think you nailed it when you said that it's off by a couple of frames, and my sample didn't show it because my camera was on a tripod.

I'm 95% certain that the solution to your problem is temporal, meaning that for some reason, PD12 is not stopping at where you took the screen capture and instead moves at least a dozen frames beyond which creates the shift *back*.

I don't see the matching frame in your video, which only runs for 17 frames before the shift. In your timeline, could you quickly trim the preceding clip by 1 second and see if that lines everything up? Whatever that "magic" offset is, I'll bet it's similar across all your affected clips and you *should* be able to trim the end position on all of them.

For the longer term fix, I think you should document this and forward it to Cyberlink because it looks like an issue for them to address.

EDIT: You had mentioned that you're now using 60FPS to keep all your clips in synch. There have been other problems related to shifting that have occurred when using high (50/60fps) project settings, and this seems to be another one of those as well.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 25. 2014 20:49

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Phoenix Joined: Mar 13, 2011 11:35 Messages: 211 Offline
[Post New]
optodata, thanks to your comments and questions, I've determined the real situation. I took another copy of that video clip to the end of the project and played with it. I first just split the video about the same as before. I removed the remainder and left the full audio there. I took a snapshot at the last frame and placed it at the end, and played it. IT WORKED!

I went to the original spot and tried it. It FAILED. I removed that whole original clip and did it again. IT WORKED! Then I added the image stabilization. IT FAILED.

I can work around this by not using image stabilization. But the video really needs it. I'm not sure what I can do to incorporate both of my desires in fixing up this video as I've described - image stabilization and a snapshot to override the really bad part with the desired smooth transition, video to still.

At least I can move on with my work as I know the current limits.

Now back to solving my audio slippage exasperations.

Thanks so much for listening to me,
Bill Bill Seifert
HP Pavilion Desktop TP01-2022
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm glad I could help at least a little bit. With regard to you not being able to use stabilization, there is a quick work-around but it might be tedious if you have to do this too many times per project:

Place a clip that needs the fix in the timeline and apply the stabilization. Leave the part(s) in that you'll "freeze out" later. If the clip is by itself, simply produce the clip to an appropriate format. If the clip isn't alone on the timeline, drag the yellow scrubber handles to highlight the entire clip and choose Produce Range.

Either way, the clip will be produced with the stabilization and will automatically appear in your library. When you drag the produced clip to the timeline, you won't have to re-stabilize it and PD should do a better job of aligning the screenshot with the final action frame...

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Phoenix Joined: Mar 13, 2011 11:35 Messages: 211 Offline
[Post New]
Good idea! I could have used this idea in my last DVD where I used that editing approach a lot. At that time I left the irritating jumps because I didn't know why it happened and how to deal with it. However, I did use it after four days of continually re-doing the audio slip corrections. I finally produced in one video clip a whole string of video clips and nearly eliminated the audio problem

I'll have to thank Cyberlink for coming up with the Produce Segment feature which will facilitate this work-around.

Bill Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
[Post New]
BTW, optodata,

I seem to be successful in avoiding audio slip problems during my editing:

Instead of, say, changing the length of a still photo and letting PD "trim and move all timeline clips after trimmed clip," I do the following more tedious step: I trim the photo and leave the gap. Then I select all the clips and photos, etc. all the way to the end and move them left as one group to remove the gap. This seems to work flawlessly and not cause the continual slip of audios - like the 50 or so downstream - problem that I keep experiencing.

Are there any other ways that you know of?

Bill Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

optodata
[Post New]
That's probably the best approach. Unfortunately you'll have to be proactive until CL does something about the issue.

I've found that it also works to add a new clip at the very end of the timeline and make the necessary length/trim/speed changes there before putting in in it's final location to avoid messing up everything previously placed (and carefully synched) in the timeline.

Another idea might be to *try* to place all the main clips in a single track and then make as many cuts/trims etc. before placing any transitions. After your "rough draft" is finished, add transitions and fine tune the main track, and only then add any additional clips and audio, smartsound, etc. on a new track using the "place and trim new clips at the end" method.

I've tried placing specific clips on one track and locking all the others, but the "downstream" clips on ALL tracks are still affected when changing the length of any "upstream" clip I'd certainly be happy if locking tracks would actually affix them at their exact length to the exact spot in the timeline and they wouldn't budge regardless of what was going on in other tracks...

YouTube/optodata

Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
[Post New]
My editing habit is to string all the clips and photos in the desired sequence. (to be told to break up a 60-minute show into 10-minute segments destroys the flow in my mind's eye. I eventually need to put together all into one show to check for continuity, which brings up the same problem again.)

Then I observe the flow to adjust speed, length, where to trim the video, etc., and what transition should be added. When I am at some point, I'll play it back and see how it all feels. That results in more fiddling or even changing the sequence, etc. All this results in MANY opportunities for PD to get me with unannounced audio slips. Only when I realize an audio starts too soon or too late, do I realize I have to leave the project, return and see where the slips are - PD doesn't show this until I open it up again - so I can fix it all all the downstream affects. And many times it's down to just a few frames shift that causes a transition to go away. I pick and adjust transitions with a lot of deliberation, so replacing it correctly causes much exasperation. Continually fixing like 50 video clips is so tedious!

I'm not sure what the technical challenges they have, but if they could give me three options, I could be happy: no link, soft link, and hard link. I think the flexibility of PD is awesome, so I fear they will remove it all, but if a default HARD LINK were to be an option, then no matter what, PD would retain the spatial relationship of audio and video unless I chose one of the other two options.

Almost all my grief stems from this one design problem. Sigh.

Bill Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM