Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Please help - imported RAW photos do not display correctly
[Post New]

...it froze my Win10 Pro OS so I had to back out and return to PhD8. Now this(;

Urgh! Yeah, things like these (sloppy software) are so annoying. So I can see, you are caught between a rock and a hard place.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 04. 2018 12:15

[Post New]
Hello Janet,

The issue is perhaps related to a change in camera settings on your Nikon D7200. Were the raw files (.NEF) shot in 12-bit or 14-bit mode?

Here's a comparison if you're interested.

PhD8 does indeed have an issue displaying 14-bit (lossless compressed) photos & the colours do appear "washed out". It has no such issues with 12-bit (lossy compressed) .NEF files. Sadly, the same issue exists in PhD9.

Please check your camera settings & report back if that is NOT the problem, so the issue can be reported accurately to CyberLink.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Janet3900 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: USA Joined: Mar 14, 2016 21:42 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello Janet,

The issue is perhaps related to a change in camera settings on your Nikon D7200. Were the raw files (.NEF) shot in 12-bit or 14-bit mode?

Here's a comparison if you're interested.

PhD8 does indeed have an issue displaying 14-bit (lossless compressed) photos & the colours do appear "washed out". It has no such issues with 12-bit (lossy compressed) .NEF files. Sadly, the same issue exists in PhD9.

Please check your camera settings & report back if that is NOT the problem, so the issue can be reported accurately to CyberLink.

PIX

Hi PIX,

I was so hoping that this was the fix cause indeed my photos do look like the 14-bit all washed out. But I have taken photos with both 12 and 14 bit and they have the same washed out look. Interesting this only started in June of this year. No problems what-so-ever before that. I have an instruction sheet of what all to do for support, most of which I understand, but I will have to open a cloud storage account to send it to them. They will not accept an email. (What's with that?)

Thanks,
Janet
Janet3900 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: USA Joined: Mar 14, 2016 21:42 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]

Hi PIX,

I was so hoping that this was the fix cause indeed my photos do look like the 14-bit all washed out. But I have taken photos with both 12 and 14 bit and they have the same washed out look. Interesting this only started in June of this year. No problems what-so-ever before that. I have an instruction sheet of what all to do for support, most of which I understand, but I will have to open a cloud storage account to send it to them. They will not accept an email. (What's with that?)

Thanks,
Janet

Well here's my update: I have heard from the tech support group. I sent them screen shots, dxdiag, etc. Here is what they told me: Upgrade Win10 to the latest version. Well, that's 1803 and I am not in the targeted group so that will push out later. As a small business I can't afford lots of bugs. So we wait until it is ready for broad audiences. Plus they told me to upgrade my Nvidia driver to the latest. And the problem with that is that latest driver is for heavy gamers. I have corresponded with Microsoft about the need for that driver for WIN10 Pro and photo-editing. It is not necessary for photoediting. But the best part is Cyberlink Technical support stated if upgrading does not solve the problem please take screen shots, run a new dianostics, etc. And send it to us via cloud we of course don't accept emails.

In other words we have no idea if this will solve your problem but at least it looks like we are trying. And if it doesn't you can start over. Well, I am 4 days down in production as it is. What no one understands is this started happening in June sporadically and then in August all the time with raw and jpeg, 14-bit or 12-bit. I have used this program since v.6 and have never had this problem until now. No other editing software that is used on this PC has this problem so...............what would you conclude?

I am sad to say I must make changes. So I am saying good-bye Cyberlink. I enjoyed you while it lasted.

Janet
[Post New]

Hi PIX,

Thanks,
Janet

Please forgive me if my remarks here are banal. But... Did you look at Nvidia colour settings? You might try to swap between Nvidia setting and program settings. You find this setting in Nvidia controll panel => Adjust desktop color settings.
Flohoeh [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 05, 2019 09:17 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I am experiencing the same issue with Photodirector 10 and Windows 10. Camera is Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000.
Is there any patch available to resolve that issue?
[Thumb - Original-JPG_aus_Kamera.JPG]
 Filename
Original-JPG_aus_Kamera.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Original JPG image from camera
 Filesize
213 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
[Thumb - Importieres RW2-File_verzerrt.JPG]
 Filename
Importieres RW2-File_verzerrt.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Imported RAW file in PHD10
 Filesize
182 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag
 Filesize
91 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
336 time(s)
[Post New]
Quote I am experiencing the same issue with Photodirector 10 and Windows 10. Camera is Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000.
Is there any patch available to resolve that issue?

I wouldn't hold my breath. Cyberlink is now in the business of renting, not solving problems.
Personally I will use my (bought) cyberlink programs until they are (completely) obsolete, and then find something else. That works.
Flohoeh [Avatar]
[Post New]

I wouldn't hold my breath. Cyberlink is now in the business of renting, not solving problems.
Personally I will use my (bought) cyberlink programs until they are (completely) obsolete, and then find something else. That works.

Thanks for taking the time to reply so quickly. That's a grim perspective then... :/ Contacted customer support with my issue and will see what they reply. Shame really that such an issue has persisted for so long and over so many software versions...
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for taking the time to reply so quickly. That's a grim perspective then... :/ Contacted customer support with my issue and will see what they reply. Shame really that such an issue has persisted for so long and over so many software versions...

You posted in a thread that was about an older version of PhD having problems with RAW images, but as far as I can tell the DMC-FZ1000 only shoots in JPEG, which is a compressed format. All of the sample images I found online were JPG, as are the two photos you attached.

I also don't see any problems when opening your original clip or a full resolution one downloaded from this page. If you look at the attached screenshot, the sample image looks identical in 4 different apps, including PhD10. Do you see that image get washed out when you import it on your system?

I appreciate that you also attached the DxDiag test results. Your Dell is nicely up-to-date with the latest BIOS and official Dell video driver, however they're often very slow when it comes to updating their video drivers.

For example, the "latest" driver for your Intel UHD Graphics 620 is 23.20.16.4973 came out almost a year and a half ago. In comparison, the driver I'm using for my UHD Graphics 630 (which came directly from Intel) is 26.20.100.6912, and it was released in late May.

There are pros and cons to bypassing the block Dell puts on trying to install non-Dell drivers, and depending on what tech support says, and whether the new sample image shows the problem on your system or not, that may be something you'd want to pursue.
[Thumb - DMC-FZ1000 clip comparison.jpg]
 Filename
DMC-FZ1000 clip comparison.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
dual monitor view
 Filesize
732 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
[Post New]
Hello Flohoeh,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum.

(aside to optodata) Yes, the FZ1000 does shoot RAW in .RW2 format. You'll find plenty of original samples at Imaging Resource.

PhotoDirector 10 displays .RW2s from your camera correctly here, with no vignetting as shown in your screenshot.

Adobe Lightroom displays those photos similarly.

For reference, could you please download this .RW2 file & post a screenshot of how it displays in your PhD10?

PIX PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
FYI my PD 8 displays the this .RW2 correctly.
Flohoeh could you submit the original RW2 file here please?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 06. 2019 03:58

[Post New]
Thank you Phynx for that useful contribution.

I have checked in every version of PhD, back to PhD6 and the raw files from Panasonic FZ1000 display correctly in each: PhD6, PhD7, PhD8, PhD9 & PhD10.

Members, to avoid confusion, could you please post any further responses to Flohoeh's issue in this thread?

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Flohoeh [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote FYI my PD 8 displays the this .RW2 correctly.
Flohoeh could you submit the original RW2 file here please?

I have provided a link to Google Drive on my original thread here. As suggested by Pix, could you guys kindly refer to this thread for any further replies. I apologize for having created confusion!
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/79626.page#327377

Thanks a lot,
Florian