Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to output as uncompressed 720x576/50i AVI
dleew [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 09, 2018 10:02 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Quote HI

Did you ever get any resolution over this as i am having the exact same problems of blocky artifacts when re encoding to avi?

I really like the PD11 program for editing and effects, but the actual production quality is far inferior to other editing software.

This is still happening in PD14 as well. I am not confident that something like this is even fixed in PD21, which appears to be the current version based on the all the "modals" Cyberlink is popping up on me!

Frustrating as heck because I have DV-AVI based Hi-8 and Digital tapes going back to 2003 that I captured that I now need to edit. The dots in a grid are very ugly and I have not found a way to get rid of them. I guess I am stuck with video files where someone video'd 10 minutes of the camera lens cap on, but forgot to stop the recording!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There's no reason you have to produce to such a low quality/blocky format. PD14 through PD19 (the current version) can upscale and produce to a higher quality output - although it won't be as clean as with a higher quality source.

Maybe you could share a source clip and also a produced version so forum members can see what you're working with. If the clips are smaller than 100MB each, you should be able to use the Attchments button below the forum's text box to upload them directly.

If the clips are larger than that, you can upload the produced clip to OneDrive or Google Drive and paste a publicly shareable link to it here. See this FAQ for more details.
dleew [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote There's no reason you have to produce to such a low quality/blocky format. PD14 through PD19 (the current version) can upscale and produce to a higher quality output - although it won't be as clean as with a higher quality source.

Maybe you could share a source clip and also a produced version so forum members can see what you're working with. If the clips are smaller than 100MB each, you should be able to use the Attchments button below the forum's text box to upload them directly.

If the clips are larger than that, you can upload the produced clip to OneDrive or Google Drive and paste a publicly shareable link to it here. See this FAQ for more details.

This is a screengrab using VLC in a scene where it is especially noticable. The white "polo" shirt shows the grid very badly. All I did was trim a clip, and then produceced it to a new DV clip. The degradation from the grid is really ruining my goal of keeping all my clips at unreencoded, but trimmed.

Let me get a good source and produced clip ready, but the screengrab really shows what the clips will show.

Checking the produced file, it is 29716 Byte larger than the original, but in MediaInfo, it seems I cannot tell what is different.
[Thumb - vlcsnap-00001.jpg]
 Filename
vlcsnap-00001.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
JPG showing grid on white polo shirt
 Filesize
75 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
14 time(s)
 Filename
after_produce_nochanges.avi
[Disk]
 Description
Produced Clip with no edits
 Filesize
44369 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
59 time(s)
 Filename
hous0005.avi
[Disk]
 Description
Source Clip
 Filesize
44340 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
59 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Apr 24. 2021 18:32

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I would go with the advice of the other users here. If they say PD11 and you say PD14 doesn't work then it worked in PD12 and PD9 for me in the past. Prefer to edit dv-avi on older computers using older software designed for the old formats that can do smart rendering to remove that recorded 10 minutes with the lens cap on. Answer is in the attached screenshot. You may want to contact Cyberlink support for help and/or report what you found.
[Thumb - PD12 dv-avi svrt.jpg]
 Filename
PD12 dv-avi svrt.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Settings to get hous0005.avi to be smart rendered.
 Filesize
379 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 25. 2021 01:34

dleew [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I would go with the advice of the other users here. If they say PD11 and you say PD14 doesn't work then it worked in PD12 and PD9 for me in the past. Prefer to edit dv-avi on older computers using older software designed for the old formats that can do smart rendering to remove that recorded 10 minutes with the lens cap on. Answer is in the attached screenshot. You may want to contact Cyberlink support for help and/or report what you found.

I have PD9 on the HP Mobile Workstation that I use for the FireWire transfer of the tapes, however I edit on my main system which is more powerful, and has PD14. I will check out PD9, and hopefully I can trim on the laptop! Thank you so much!

EDIT: It works in PD9 on my laptop! I am adding a jpg showing it does not enable with the same clip in PD14.
[Thumb - PD14BrokenDV_AVI_SVRT.jpg]
 Filename
PD14BrokenDV_AVI_SVRT.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
No SVRT in PD14, works in PD9 just fine.
 Filesize
317 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 25. 2021 11:01

dleew [Avatar]
[Post New]

I have PD9 on the HP Mobile Workstation that I use for the FireWire transfer of the tapes, however I edit on my main system which is more powerful, and has PD14. I will check out PD9, and hopefully I can trim on the laptop! Thank you so much!

EDIT: It works in PD9 on my laptop! I am adding a jpg showing it does not enable with the same clip in PD14.

So I managed to find a copy of PD12 though a good friend. PD12 also does SVRT just fine, and no grid "dots" present. I am attaching a nice side by side of PD12 versus PD14 for the same clip, and very nearly the same frame. PD14 is on the right side if its not obvious.

Finally, some sort of good news is that I also downloaded the Trial of PD19, and SVRT is broken still, it is grayed out, but the re-encoding is not adding a grid of "dots" and is nearly the same file size, but a bit smaller. I think I'll likely pony up for the "non-365" version of PD19 Ultimate at this point.

Hopefully, I can even submit a bug report against PD19 and eventually get SVRT back since I have about 45 hours of footage of DV-AVI Type 1.
[Thumb - PD12_no_dots.jpg]
 Filename
PD12_no_dots.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PD12 Left - PD14 Right
 Filesize
612 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
dleew [Avatar]
[Post New]

So I managed to find a copy of PD12 though a good friend. PD12 also does SVRT just fine, and no grid "dots" present. I am attaching a nice side by side of PD12 versus PD14 for the same clip, and very nearly the same frame. PD14 is on the right side if its not obvious.

Finally, some sort of good news is that I also downloaded the Trial of PD19, and SVRT is broken still, it is grayed out, but the re-encoding is not adding a grid of "dots" and is nearly the same file size, but a bit smaller. I think I'll likely pony up for the "non-365" version of PD19 Ultimate at this point.

Hopefully, I can even submit a bug report against PD19 and eventually get SVRT back since I have about 45 hours of footage of DV-AVI Type 1.

Final screenshot: PD19 may not add a grid of "dots" but the quality is lower, and since the source is already "low" quality due to the technology back then, I am not sure what I'll do now. The best case would be SVRT gets fixed in PD19 and I have new features to play with.
[Thumb - PD12_versus_PD19_no_dots.jpg]
 Filename
PD12_versus_PD19_no_dots.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PD12 Left - PD19 Right
 Filesize
501 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Final screenshot: PD19 may not add a grid of "dots" but the quality is lower, and since the source is already "low" quality due to the technology back then, I am not sure what I'll do now. The best case would be SVRT gets fixed in PD19 and I have new features to play with.

dleew - This is great that you have duplicated the same findings that smart rendering works in both PD9 and PD12. Thank you for the feedback. Many users will not look at this post because it is nine years old and they have moved on like myself to the newer video formats.

It is good to move on to the latest version of any software. To get the attention of most users you need to start a new topic post in the PowerDirector 19 & 365 forum here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/forums/show/186.page . You can reference this old thread there.

PD19 and PD365 users in this forum will be available to test your dv-avi clips and respond. You won’t be able to test smart rendering because that is disabled in the trial versions of PD19 and PD365. Smart rendering is completely broken in PD365 right now. See this recent post: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/84849.page . Other users in that PD19 forum should be able to test your dv-avi clips there and let you know their findings if you attach the same sample dv-avi clips there.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 26. 2021 08:47

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The best case would be SVRT gets fixed in PD19 and I have new features to play with.

I really doubt SVRT for DVAVI will be "fixed" at PD19, I believe they depreciated SVRT for DVAVI several yrs back

Prior to PD16:
Intelligent SVRT can be applied to video clips in the MPEG-1, MPEG-2, H.264 and DVAVI(Type I) formats.

PD16 and latter:
Intelligent SVRT can be applied to video clips in the MPEG-2 and H.264 formats.

and at a dot update of PD18 they added:
SVRT can be applied to video clips in the MPEG-2, H.264, and H.265 formats.
which is the same as PD19.

Jeff