Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PhotoDirector vs Photoshop Elements 9
Cindy R [Avatar]
Member Location: Louisiana, USA Joined: Feb 27, 2007 16:34 Messages: 124 Offline
[Post New]
I have been a long time user of PowerDirector and really like the product so I was intrigued by their new product PhotoDirector. I am also a long time user of Photoshop Elements. I don't use many of the Elements features because it just takes too long to learn and re-learn. I mostly use the quick feature to brighten and make other minor adjustments, then either print a hard copy or create a slideshow.

I downloaded the trial version of PhotoDirector and liked how it looked so far, but I need someone to tell me why I should switch from Elements to PhotoDirector. Specifically, features . . . benefits? I will say that one of the things I don't like about Elements is I find the printed retouched photos (especially when lightening dark photos) always appear grainy even though on the screen they look fine.

Any comments would be helpful . . .

Cindy R

PS - It would also be very helpful to create some more video tutorials so that trial users could learn the program features more quickly. Cyberlink has never had great instruction manuals
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Cindy -

I agree with you about the tutorials... though it's fun just to play!

If you want to read what others say about the comparison, here are some links... it's more like LightRoom than PSElements

http://alternativeto.net/software/cyberlink-photodirector/
http://ajwood.com/2011/07/review-cyberlink-photodirector-2011-vs-adobe-lightroom-3/
http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Review/262322,review-cyberlink-photodirector-2011.aspx

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
rsamuel66 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 29, 2011 08:25 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
I downloaded the trial version of PhotoDirector and liked how it looked so far, but I need someone to tell me why I should switch from Elements to PhotoDirector. Specifically, features . . . benefits? I will say that one of the things I don't like about Elements is I find the printed retouched photos (especially when lightening dark photos) always appear grainy even though on the screen they look fine.
Any comments would be helpful . . .

You should use Photodirector as a complement not a substitute for Elements. Like comparable products, Photodirector is geared towards the processing of a large amount of images, say, from a wedding. The idea is that you use Photodirector to do some basic edits on a large batch of pictures, then process them further in a more dedicated editing environment like Elements or Photoshop.
Cindy R [Avatar]
Member Location: Louisiana, USA Joined: Feb 27, 2007 16:34 Messages: 124 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks to both of you for your input. Someone once told me I should purchase Lightroom for my photos but I didn't want to spend $300. After reading the reviews and getting yall's comments, I can see how I can use it to complement how I manage and edit my photos. And for $99, it's a much more attractive product. I think I'll give it a try!

Thanks for your replies!

Cindy