Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is there a way to turn off the popup upgrade ads in PowerDVD 10 Ultra?
Joe Fission [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 03, 2011 00:59 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
This is getting quite annoying. I purchased PowerDVD 10 Ultra a while back because that's all I needed was a DVD/Bluray player for my computer. However, every 2 weeks or so (maybe more, maybe less, maybe randomly) when I start PowerDVD, I get a little popup in the bottom right corner asking me to "Upgrade to Media Suite 9" or something. I've tried every check box including deselecting the ones that say "Automatically connect to the internet for product information" and I still get the little popup "Upgrade" ads. I've even tried clicking on the upgrade symbol in the upper corner of the title bar (in hopes of fooling it into thinking I took the bait), but it states there's no upgrades currently.

I realize you're a business and you would like to inform users of other products they might be interested in. But please I ask you only to step into my shoes for a second. I shelled out good money to purchase PowerDVD 10 Ultra (not Standard, not even Deluxe, but Ultra)... be happy with that. That's all I need and all I can afford. I do not need to know every week or 2 that I should "Upgrade to Media Suite 9" because it has "12 different media applications" or whatever the little ad thing says.

So, that said, is there a way to turn off the popup "Upgrade Now" ads? If not, there certainly should be.... at least I would hope this gets fixed in an update or a future version.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

please try:
1. enter settings of PDVD
2. enter "Player"
3. uncheck "Automatically connecct to the Internet...."

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Joe Fission [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 03, 2011 00:59 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I've tried every check box including deselecting the ones that say "Automatically connect to the internet for product information" and I still get the little popup "Upgrade" ads.

From my first post.

So, ya... no luck with that one.
jtye01 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 13, 2012 22:35 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Here's how to disable. I've personally done this successfully with version 9 and 10

if you monitor services you will see the popup is CLUpdater.exe
in version 9 and 10 you'll find the .exe and .ini in the directory c:\program files (x86)\cyberlink\powerdvd9 or 10\Evoparser

you can try renaming the clupdater.ini and .exe. and that should do it but here is what I personally did because I noticed that both files are set with security to prevent a user from modifying them.

Right click each file - select properties.. go to security. You need to be tech savvy as I'm not putting word for word details here.
note the system has full access but users do not. I have users full access and removed access to the system of both files.

I did this in case the application has a repair feature that tries to repair the files back to their original state.

AGAIN - I DON'T KNOW IF YOU NEED TO REALLY GO THAT FAR BUT this has stopped the popups.

Spaceman0007 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 16, 2014 07:19 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
here is how to stop the pop up.

Close the Cyberlink Registration pop-up and shut down the program. In Windows XP, Go to "Start" > "My Computer" > "C drive".
In Windows Vista and 7, Go to "Start" > " Computer" > "C drive".Click on"Program Files" > "Cyberlink" > "Power DVD"> OLRSubmission".
Right-click on the "OLRSubmission" folder and choose "Rename".
Type"Submission" in the box and press "Enter" to set the name.
This will disable the pop-up.

Shuld fix it fer ya......