Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD9 stop answer/halt/stall
Anja the Dane
Contributor Location: Denmark (North of Copenhagen) Joined: Mar 03, 2011 15:02 Messages: 347 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
PD9 halt after produce of one to four files. When trying to go back to Edit page I get a dialogbox saying: "PD is not answering".

Strange thing is when opening the 'Job List' it's here said that PD is running.

Sometimes the output file is generated ok and sometimes the file size is 0kb. This happens both when the start file is a MTS or a WMV file and wether I try to produce a AVI, MPG, AVC, WMV or MOW file.

Also, to now only once, PD9 has stopped when had used the split + delete function 5-6 times in the same video clip.

Another strange thing, sometimes, when the produce was well done and I go back to Edit screen all menu items have disapered untill I move the cursor over where they should be - then they become visible.

One from 'How to' forum told me to update my drivers to fix this problem. I've updated drivers. Also I was told that I can work without ShadowEditFiles therefore I've unchecked this option in General settings - but the problem still exist, it's quite frustrating to have to start PD9 over and over again, I even tryed to restart my PC before starting PD9 again.

In my Documents catalog I found a dmp-file which I think must be from PD9 since it's name starts with PD, so I encloce it too.

I enclose the DxDiag.

Cheers,
Anja
 Filename
DxDiag20110321.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
36 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
373 time(s)
 Filename
PDR.dmp
[Disk]
 Description
dump file
 Filesize
215 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
426 time(s)
PDR 14.0.4207.0 / Windows 10 64-bit / Asus / Intel i7-4790 3.60 GHz / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / DirectX 12
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Anja: Sorry to hear that you are having problems with PD9. Your computer should have the horsepower to run it, from what I can tell. Are you sure you have the most recent version of QuickTime installed - PD9 needs the latest version. Also try unchecking all SVRT and hardware acceleration (encoding). You don't need it and it has been known to cause problems.

Have you been able successfully produce small segments? Can you try just producing a simple project using the sample clips? I am wondering if your source file(s) might be corrupt or not supported by the codec(s) you are using. You might try installing the FFDshow codec to see if that helps - you can google it.

A screenshot of your timeline would be appreciated. The pros will be able to probably quickly identify the problem and tell you how to get things up and going.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Anja,
Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1065 (English)
Driver Version: 8.821.0.0
DDI Version: 10.1
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 1/26/2011 23:59:10, 708608 bytes

Update your drivers please.
Guide info below.
Look up Fred's post/guide: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/14275.page

hope that helps you.

thanks
Dafydd
Anja the Dane
Contributor Location: Denmark (North of Copenhagen) Joined: Mar 03, 2011 15:02 Messages: 347 Offline
[Post New]
Hi again and thanks Dafydd,
sorry to tell you that drivers were the latest for ATI Radeon 5750 as far as I can see.

I updated graphic drivers 3 days ago - but did again today because of your notice with good links.
as new thing I found updates for the my cpu and installed this as well.

Garioch: Thanks.
QuickTime is latest version according to QT.
My MTS (avchd) files are imported directly from my camera: Panasonic FZ38.
My WMV (wmv9 HD hq) files are produced in PD9 from the original MTS files from camera, Therefore I don't think codec could cause the problem.

I'm not sure what kind of screenshot would be helpfull - I mean you don't have the timeline in the Produce room where the sysstem most often stops answering- and it's from here I can't get back to Edit room.
If you mean a screenshut from when I experience that about the menu items - I enclose one.
Also as told, when I move the curser over the places where the menu items should be - they become visable.

Cheers,
Anja
 Filename
DxDiag20110325.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag from today after mentioned updating
 Filesize
36 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
354 time(s)
[Thumb - menupkt-mangler-efter-produce.PNG]
 Filename
menupkt-mangler-efter-produce.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
missing menu items
 Filesize
525 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
202 time(s)
PDR 14.0.4207.0 / Windows 10 64-bit / Asus / Intel i7-4790 3.60 GHz / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / DirectX 12
Matt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 28, 2011 07:59 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Anja, I too am having problems. I have installed the latest codecs for divx and directx and have updated all graphics card drivers. I can produce a short (1.5min) 720p video to YouTube, but I try again with a 14min long one and PD freezes at 16% done. Time keeps ticking over, no error warnings and yet it just stops producing. I've tried disconnecting from the net and disabling the virus program (Avast), but it all does nothing. Files are not corrupted (although they were shot in NTSC format and I am producing in Pal - something PD says it can cope with). I've tried disabling shadowfiles and hardware acceleration - all to no avail. PC is a quad core HP desktop with 2.3ghz processor, 8gb Ram and nearly 3tb of hard disk. Graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 5500.

Computer's specs should be more than enough to cope - Dafydd... Any ideas? Logged a few queries with tech support but like most people, got nothing in reply.

Cheers,

Matt
Matt [Avatar]
[Post New]
I think I may have managed to resolve the issue... Firstly, all drivers and codecs (graphics card, chipset drivers, divx codecs, etc) were updated. Pc was then checked to have all recent updates applied. Then run disk cleanup, followed by a defrag. Uninstalled PD9 and downloaded and reinstalled from scratch (apply no further updates or change ANY preferences). Re-ran the production again and it made it well past 16% without a glitch. Also excluded it from 'sandboxing' in Avast, but didn't switch Avast off (as YouTube uploads need an Internet connection, so this can't be disabled).

I'm running a 64-bit HP with Vista 64 as the operating system. Screen is a high def screen designed for professional photo editing, so no display issues there.

Fingers crossed this is a permanent fix... It's still a very unstable program.

Cheers,

Matt
Matt [Avatar]
[Post New]
I do have to point out though that Cyberlink are HOPELESS as far as their 'technical support' services are concerned. I raised queries 5 days ago and still not a word of reply from them. In most parts of the civilised world, paying customers are a high priority for companies, but it seems the Cyberlink tech support team think otherwise. Doesn't really surprise me that so many people try to avoid paying for software like this if this is the kind of after sales treatment they can expect. Perhaps they should redirect the 'technical support' links on their site straight to this forum?
blueskiwi [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 30, 2011 10:21 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same problem: I can only 'Produce' one video file without crashing.

After that I go back to the Edit screen, prepare the next video, go to Produce again and when I click 'Start' then PD9 hangs ie not responding and has to be shut down.

I'm on Win 7 64 bit, and PD9 'Ultra64'.

Happens with various output formats eg mp4, wmv

Sometimes it also hangs when you use the YouTube tab of the Produce screen, after rendering, if you try to cancel the upload.
(on a related note - why aren't the YouTube/Facebook wmv profiles included in the File>WMV output options? It's annoying if you want to render a bunch of files for YouTube without uploading them immediately via PD9)
blueskiwi [Avatar]
[Post New]
still happens after installing the latest PD9 update patch to build 2702
Anja the Dane
[Post New]
hi Matt & blueskiwi

Sorry to say I agree with Matt concerning technical support.

I posted tree queries a week ago. Each with a decription of a problem plus telling that my drivers were just updated and with the DxDiag and screendumps enclosed.

Also I tried to enclose the PDR.dmp file mentioned and encloced when I started this post, but Tec. Support site doesn't allow this type of file - only allows txt and images.

Few days later, the day before yesterday, I got reply to each querie ... ha, ha, saying only:
"update your drivers and send the DxDiag if the problem still exist"

To me it seem like Tec. Support only make auto gegerated answer and no one read the message/query.

blueskiwi: I'm pleased to learn I'm not the only one having this "PD9 has stopped answering" problem - however sorry for you.
As you I'm on Win 7 64 bit, and PD9 'Ultra64' and the latest PD9 update patch to build 2702.

Also I've tried recovering my pc from before install of PD9 - then ran all updates: win, drivers e.t.c. then installed PD9 and 2702 again.
Also tried producing without hw acceleration and without ShadowEditFiles.

Still got all the same problems - non of them are solved and I haven't yet been able to produce the video for witch I bought PD9.

Cheers,
Anja

Matt [Avatar]
[Post New]
I didn't install the 2702 update after reinstalling and my copy now seems to be a 'little' more stable... Also changed none of the preferences after installing - everything set to factory standard.

Did you run a defrag too?
blueskiwi [Avatar]
[Post New]
thanks, I haven't defragged the drive but I don't really see how that would affect the operation of the software apart from speed.

this thing seems to have some really bad bugs
blueskiwi [Avatar]
[Post New]
@anja ask for your money back!

doesn't seem like drivers problem to me, after all the videos are produced just fine the first time

more like **** programming

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 30. 2011 14:01

Matt [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just that - Pc needs to run fast calcs when rendering and uses storage on drives somehow. Delays may slow it and cause some functions to error due to timeout. That's my guess. Doesn't hurt to try. Latest QuickTime and Divx/directx codecs are also good to make sure things are working. Re the program itself, understand you tried reinstating the PC to a save point but did you actually download the program from their site from scratch and reinstalling it (it will automatically uninstall existing versions - don't worry about it deleting your working files, it doesn't do that even with an uninstall. So long as you have the PowerDirector project file that it creates when you save a project put somewhere safe like on your desktop, you will get your project back without a problem. Don't try adding any of the updates to it - use as is once downloaded and installed.
Matt [Avatar]
[Post New]
Put it this way, 2 days ago, I could produce a 1.5min production and have that upload to YouTube. Try the same with a 14min production (both generated from GoPro HD MP4 files) and no go. No warnings, just froze at certain points. Left all day to process... Nothing. On top of that, every few seconds whilst splicing clips, the program would freeze and whilst still running, it would tell me that the program is not responding.

Yesterday, I defragged the machine, updated the codecs mentioned, updated chipset and graphics card drivers, made an exclusion for the program in Avast anti virus (goodness knows what would happen if you were running Norton... I'd hate to think), ran a virus scan and a clean disk, stopped unnecessary startup programs using the msconfig command (better than control panel), manually set the virtual memory to a custom setting (min 512mb; max 4000mb), cleared the cache, installed IE9 (not sure if this did anything but perhaps) and restarted the machine. 14min production uploaded without a glitch and was able to put together another one without a single crash (yet).

Btw, personal opinion is that Cyberlink support should all be sacked. The company is not above it's customers and should respond better to them. Tempted to lodge a complaint with the industry ombudsman and/or consumer affairs (or equivalent where they are)...
blueskiwi [Avatar]
[Post New]
(golly those asterisks make it look like I said something worse than I did!)

@Matt sounds like you and I have different problems...

I am able to output videos of varying lengths, I just made a 15 minute clip, but I can only do ONE.

After that the program is unstable and if I am able to get back to the Edit screen to set up another video then it hangs for sure when I 'Start' the next output.

Apart from posting here I have no experience of Cyberlink support but I think the programmers need a good stern talking to...
Matt [Avatar]
[Post New]
I can easily enough get back to the edit screen and go again after producing one video...
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Matt,
I've removed Alice's email address from this forum.

If you provide the following details in a PM to me I'll pass on your concerns to the Head of Customer Support (and a few others) in Taiwan.

1. Your full name, email address and order number.
2. The support ticket number which you have submitted to online support.
3. A brief summary of the complaint followed by an expanded version.

I'll pass all the information on for CyberLink to then make contact with you.

Hope that helps.
Dafydd
[Moderator]
Anja the Dane
[Post New]
hi,
nice to see Dafydd on scene.

Matt & blueskiwi:
Ofcause I haven't asked my money back.
I and you have bought the first version of a new program it always has errors and bugs - we should have waited about six month to when the worst errors and bugs will be fixed.

What I blame most is Techincal Support - closer - their no responding.

Also both of you must admit that in this fora we get in tuch with very nice and helpfull experts besides other users both with similar problems and suggestions to fix problems.

Hoping of new patches to fix errors ond bugs soon!

have a nice day
Anja PDR 14.0.4207.0 / Windows 10 64-bit / Asus / Intel i7-4790 3.60 GHz / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / DirectX 12
Matt [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,

Thanks - rather than giving my personal details on the forum, the ticket number should direct them to the relevant points (I have sent Alice a separate mail). Ticket number is CS001000024.

Regarding removal of her email address from the forum, I understand your mail, however all customers do have the right to escalate to senior management where they have not received the appropriate level of service. It is not really appropriate to restrict free information like that. I worked out Alice's email based on the company web address and a bit of logic. Not rocket science. Nor have I illegally or otherwise unlawfully obtained and distributed confidential information. So I am curious about the restriction to fair speech.

If the company does not provide a basic level of support to it's clientele via the 'support' services it offers, customers have the legal right to take appropriate escalation action.

Appreciate that you will take the matter to other parts of the company, but I do wonder why it takes that much just to get a simple answer. Alice (and the appropriate media/industry bodies) are entitled to know. It's the only way it seems Cyberlink customers will get a fair hearing about their problems. Ignorance does not make them go away.

That's my small rant done, but I feel it has a valid point.

Thanks.