Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cannot get 3D BluRay to display correctly.
vseven [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Ohio Joined: Dec 18, 2010 09:41 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I am having trouble getting a 3D BluRay to display on my TV using PowerDVD 10 Ultra II. Here is my setup:

Mitsubishi 73C9 3D Ready DLP
Mitsubishi 3DC-1000 3D Starter Kit (active shutter glasses, etc)
Onkyo TX-SR608 Receiver (HDMI 1.4a passthrough)
HTPC with ATI 5670

I ran the Cyberlink 3D BluRay Adviser program and everything passed with a green check next to it. So I set PowerDVD to "3D Ready DLP (Checkerboard)" and turned on my 3D mode on the TV but the picture is blocky. looking at the picture without the glasses and it's very blurry, looking at it with the glasses and it almost has a 3D feel but its very blocky, like all the edges are hard and ridged for anything on screen.

I have tried going directly from the HTPC to the TV without the 3D kit between (it's only there to support formats other then checkerboard) and I get the exact same picture. I've tried just bypassing the receiver and same thing. I've tried updating my graphics card drivers to the latest version (Catalyst 10.12) with no change. I bought all new HDMI 1.4 cables (listed as high speed with Ethernet) and that didn't help.

Anything thing else I can try? Regular 2D mode looks perfect and if I turn off 3D mode on my 3D BluRay (Walt Disney showcase BR) it looks fine in 2D. I just can't get the 3D to look right.

-Allan
flashy28 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: usa Joined: Sep 25, 2009 11:40 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
all your hardware has to be 3d ready. you dont need a 1.4 hdmi cable to watch a 3d movie, 1.3 hdmi cable works too. not sure if your reciever is or your video card is 3d ready but you should know by looking it up. you cant have multible monitors hooked to your video card at once if you want to correctly view 3d, using cyberlinks powerdvd 10 mark 2. cyberlink does not allow multible monitors connected to a video card if you want to watch a 3d movie. however, if you make your hdtv the primary monitor, you can leave your computer monitor connected to your video card an still view 3d movies.

in the powerdvd 10 software, instead of choosing 3d hdtv checkerboard display output, scoll down an choose, hdmi 1.4 enabled 3d tv display output. theres a 3d button on the front of powerdvd 10 you have to click on to enable 3d too. also, in the software there another setting in the setup configuration that needs to be set to hdmi output. you have to manually set 3 or 4 things in powerdvd 10 mark 2 to correctly view a 3d movie, unlike a simple all hardware 3d bluray theater setup, separate from the computer. if your reciever is not 3d ready then u can by pass it an go directly into the hdtv hdmi input.
vseven [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply but as mentioned all the hardware PASSED the 3D validation program from Cyberlink and done most of what you suggested. I have a 3DReadyDLP so that's the setting I've been using but I did try every other display output without success. I do get a message when I try the 1.4 output selections that my hardware only supports this in full screen but it still doesn't display right. So knowing the hardware all passes I'm wondering if it's a problem with the Cyberlink program. Maybe I'll try the ArcSoft TMT and see if that makes a difference unless someone has a idea of what else it could be for my setup.
flashy28 [Avatar]
[Post New]
i know 3d works with cyberlinks dvd 10 mark 2 player because i had it playing. my video card is hd6870 ati an on amd.com, my video card has a display compatibility list an my hdtv is on the list. it might be that your hdtv is not 3d compatibile with your video card. i know sony 3d glasses an samsungs will not work with each other hdtv's. your glasses might not be turned on also.

i would hook it up directly to your tv an bypass my reciever till i got it playing. i also, double check your hardware on the manufactors websites to make sure it 3d compatible. cyberlinks 3d advisor is not always right when checking compatibility. when i checked mine, said it didnt know my video card an video drivers, unknown is what it said.it also failed the 3d bluray test but i got the 3d bluray playing correctly. i also disconnect your computer monitor while trying to play 3d. cyberlink dont allow multible monitors connected while 3d playback. only way around that with both the monitors connected is make the hdtv the primary monitor before attemping 3d playback.
vseven [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'll contact ATI to double check on the video card.

Yes the glasses are "on", I can tell because they dim when turned on and also if I set it to side by side I can see one picture with one eye and a different picture with the other eye (still no 3D effect). Also as mentioned in the first post its a 3D ready Mitsubishi TV with Mitsubishi glasses and emitter so they definitely work together. I've also plugged directly from the video card to the TV with a HDMI 1.4a cable without a change.
flashy28 [Avatar]
[Post New]
i just checked online to see if your video card is 3d ready an the answer is no. none of the ati 5000 series video cards will play 3d blurays. only the 6000 series are 3d ready.

to everybody out there wanting to play 3d bluray. save your money on the hdmi cable. dont need 1.4 hdmi cable to view 3d material. 1.3 works just as good. how do i know? i got both cables an tested it. only thing 1.4 hdmi is good for is channel return an ethernet options.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 20. 2010 13:38

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
flashy28 wrote:
i just checked online to see if your video card is 3d ready an the answer is no. none of the ati 5000 series video cards will play 3d blurays. only the 6000 series are 3d ready.

Your statement is probably correct. As my system has an ATI HD Radeon 5770 and passes the test-(see attached screenshot of BD 3D Blu-Ray results). I am sure you are basing you results on something you have read and not something you have actually tested. No big deal really, just thought I would share this bit of information with others that may be reading this forum and might be interested. But it does appear that the 5000 series does not support 3D Blu-Ray playback. I can't as of yet test it out myself because I do not have the correct monitor.

Here is a link describing Blu-Ray 3D Blu-Ray for the AMD Catalyst Control Center as of Version 10.10:
http://blogs.amd.com/play/2010/10/22/amd-catalyst-10-10-radeon-driver/

Regards,

KEvin

[Thumb - ATI 5770 Pass.PNG]
 Filename
ATI 5770 Pass.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
14 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
325 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 20. 2010 16:22

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
vseven [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have Catalyst drivers 10.12 BUT flashy might be right. The web page linked above says:

Blu-ray 3D support
* This release of AMD Catalyst provides support for Blu-ray 3D playback
* Requires Blu-ray 3D player software, 3D supported display and 3D Stereoscopic glasses*
* Supported on the AMD Radeon™ HD 6800 Series GPUs

Stereo 3D gaming support
* This release of AMD Catalyst provides support for Stereo 3D gaming via 3rd party middleware from Dynamic Digital Depth (DDD) and iZ3D
* Requires 3D supported display and 3D Stereoscopic glasses*
* Supported on the ATI Radeon HD 5000™ Series and AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series GPUs

That to me says 3D gaming works with the 5xxx and 6xxx series but 3D BluRay only works on the 68xx series. I'm going to check with AMD to see if they will be supporting 3D BluRay on the 5xxx because if not I'm going to have to buy a nVidia card.....a 3D BluRay compatible card costs half of the 68xx series cards.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
I wonder why my ATI Radeon 5770 passes the test?

Well Good Luck!

Regards,

KEvin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 20. 2010 16:14

vseven [Avatar]
[Post New]
If your talking about 3D gaming then yes it should work...the link you provided says as much (gaming support for 5xxx and 6xxx). But I'm only concerned about 3D BluRay which does not work. My system passes the "adviser" test also but still doesn't work.

Looks like the cheapest card out right now that would work in my HTPC is a nVidia GT 430. I've contacted AMD/ATI to see if they will add the 3D BluRay support to the 5xxx series and if so when...if they say no or its going to be months I'll just get that and sell my 5670.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 20. 2010 16:17

Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
I corrected my above post to reflect the fact that the link I provided was misread by me...and I can't test it myself to validate it....flashy is looking like he is right on the money.

Sorry for any confusion I might have caused you. Definately not my intention.

But the information on the Cyberlink website seems pretty clear:
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd/hardware-support_en_US.html

And very clear on the AMD website as to which cards support 3D Blu-Ray:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-hd3d/pages/supported-hardware.aspx

Regards,

Kevin

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 20. 2010 17:02

vseven [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, never mind what AMD says. Got it working....had to set the display to 1080p@60Hz (which it was), turn of GPU scaling (which it was), and turn off all overscan (which it wasn't). Set the overscan to 0 and the 3D effect showed (not very good but it wasn't blurry any more).

So yes a ATI/AMD HD5670 will output checkerboard to a DLP as long as the graphics options are set right even though the AMD site says it won't.
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Well I'll b darned!

As long as I have been using these forums...that is why I made reference to actually testing something to see if it worked! For me this is the only way to be sure myself....It sure is confusing if you read what is on the AMD website....6000 series only!!

You figured it out....Nice job!

Kevin
vseven [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yeah, I still have a nVidia GT 430 on order though....it just looks easier to work with so for $80 I'm going to try that. The ATI takes so much fiddling to get to work right....it shouldn't be this hard.