Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
E0140016 error when burning AVCHD folder using PowerDirector 9 Ultra 64
Veena [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 14, 2010 19:46 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I could lookup threads on this error on the forum with the earlier versions of PowerDirector but didn't find a resolve.

I am receiving E0140016 error when creating an AVCHD disc format onto my hard disk folder using the trial version of PowerDirector 9 Ultra 64. I have 4612 MB of high definition edited video that I am trying to burn and tried almost 6 times using different combinations of formats but it would fail with this error every single time at 21%.

Specifics on my pc are VAIO with Intel I5, 64-bit O/S, 4 GB RAM, Windows 7, 500 GB HDD with over 300 GB free space.

I was encountering the same error when I first started out with the trial version while burning the AVCHD directly to a 4.7 GB disc. However after some technical R&D (courtesy google/tech forums), I decided to burn the output to a folder on my HDD instead. With that I was able to burn about 5 projects of the same size in about 2-2.5 hours average time successfully. This is my 6th project in the exact same manner as the previous ones and nothing has changed.

I do not believe this is a hardware issue.

Any help is deeply appreciated
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Are you using a menu? If so, try burning to a folder without the menu and tell us what happens. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Veena [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, I am using a menu and the chapters run into 4 pages. I just ran the burn with no menu and it yielded the same error but now at 0% itself !!
Veena [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have a breakthrough !!

Here is what I did and found...

I deleted about 2 minutes of video footage from the editing storyboard. This brought down the output file size to 4491 MB from the earlier 4612 MB. The burning went through successfully 21% and beyond !!

I could figure out that 21% is the point where it actually writes the final rendered file by the name 0000 (of type AVCHD as in my case) in the BDMV\STREAM folder. If one were to lookup this folder in the event of the E0140016 error (burn failure), the 0000 file (final rendered file) would sit with 0 bytes. However, if the burn process were to have run successfully the folder would have the same file with the size of the expected size which in my case is 4491 MB. So that explains why and what of the "21%".

That said, its only intriguing that why this should work because in either case the final output is less than 4.7 GB - the space available on a standard DVD disc. Wonder why chopping off some content would cause a make or break !

Hope this helps..:
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Ok, remove the first video file and see what happens. You may want to save the project first, if you haven't already. Don't want you to do anything that can't be easily fixed. It sounds a lot like there may be something about the file that PD doesn't like. Also, have you tried to produce it to a file, but a disc. In other words, just produce an MPEG video. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
James Dotson
[Post New]
I see you fixed it. Good job. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Veena [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks ! So far 43% progress and with the menu.

So, I guess I need to keep the output from bordering the maximum of the destination disc size. Also there is nothing conclusive on why the no menu option would fail to burn and at 0%.

Wondering if the E0140016 error is something Cyberlink Tech support team would want to address in their subsequent releases or perhaps make a mention of.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: This brought down the output file size to 4491 MB from the earlier 4612 MB

Quote: That said, its only intriguing that why this should work because in either case the final output is less than 4.7 GB

Keep in mind, at times PD is not real good at estimating finished files sizes, well documented by many on this forum. It can overestimate and underestimate depending on details of the timeline. Also note that 4612MB is NOT less than 4.7GB. 4.7GB/1024=4590MB. Most DVD write utilities also limit the max writeable file size to ~4465MB, they do this to minimize write errors on the DVD outer edge, most common error area. You are sitting right on the edge, much too tight with PD's size estimates.

What you could do is select the 8.5GB DVD and then write to a folder on your hard disk and see if it would actually fit on a single layer DVD, 4.7GB. If it does, burn the folder with Power2Go or one of many free or purchased burn utilities. PD may not burn to disc as it incorrectly assesses project size.

I believe the first ~20% or so is usually associated with the menu creation and your project writes start after that.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 14. 2010 23:09

Veena [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Jeff for bringing out the finer details.

You're right about PD giving inaccurate finished file sizes. I haven't gone through the forum threads on that one before this. I just went by the 4612 MB/4700 MB at the bottom of the page. When I did one of my earlier projects, I deliberately overshot the 4700MB size limit by choosing a Blu-ray disc format over AVCHD disc format and that actually threw an error complaining of the obvious over-run on the available size of the disc. With this small experiment, I thought I was within safe limits as long as the number to the left was less than the one on the right.

I suppose we still need an official address/documentation to the error itself - E0140016.

So far burn progress is 86% and about 17 minutes to completion !!