CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
AVCHD Video (.m2ts) on a DVD?
Reply to this topic
[Post New]
Is it possible to burn a AVCHD Video (.m2ts) file to a DVD and play it/save it on a computer disc drive/hard drive? Would it play as 1980 X 1080? The files are less than 4.7 GB. I want to give it to someone and I don't have a blank Bluray disc. Thanks.
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
As long as you have the Ultra version of PowerDirector you can burn AVCHD video to a DVD. Regarding will it play on a computer's DVD player I can't say for sure but I think it will. I do know you can play it on certain bluray players connected to a TV but not all bluray players can play it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 06. 2011 17:48

My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 5179 Offline
[Post New]
It sounds like your original question is can you simply burn a m2ts video file directly to a DVD and have someone else play it. Yes you can, it does require a h264 compatible player like VLC (or many others), WMP however will not play it. If the m2ts is a full 24Mbps file, it takes a resonable computer to play smoothly. Copying the file from DVD to HD and playing can help a lot. Virus scanners can kill the playback performance too.

Jeff
[Post New]
Okay, thanks for the info!
deklerkt [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Jan 13, 2011 06:34 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
Currently I would not go the PD9 way as its AVCHD output upscales the bitrate to 22000 which makes your DVD5 sized file way too large.

A proper solution to create an AVCHD disk folder (burn to DVD as UFC disc or the Nero-10 AVCHD template) is to modify the m2ts file to a mkv Matroska container using SUPER, then use tsmuxer to convert the mkv into an AVCHD disc folder. I don't think tsmuxer likes a m2ts file by itself (despite its name - m2ts is not ts) but give that a try first. Not all m2ts files are created equal.
This sequence allows you to still create a DVD5 that can be played on a BluRay player
[Post New]
For now I just burned as a AVCHD file to a DVD as a data disc. Yeah, it can only be played on a computer for now but I don't think I sacrificed any quality of the m2ts file? When BD-R are cheaper I will transfer it over. If there is a way to have the quality on a DVD using one of my Cyberlink apps I would try it. But for now, I haven't found a way to do it. Thanks for replying!
deklerkt [Avatar]
[Post New]
The problem with data DVDs is that most BluRay players won't accept them - although mine happily plays a DVD with an mkv file on it.
But the process I outlined (m2ts --> mkv --> AVCHD) where the last step also allows addition of srt subtitle files if needed, doesn't re-encode the video files, just re-wraps them and outputs it into something a BluRay player will play. And on a pc, you can still click on the \stream\ folder and play the m2ts file there. Or use VLC or PowerDVD to play the disc as proper AVCHD.
I sympathize with you on BD disc prices. I'll stick to AVCHD and DVD5 or 8 for the time being. It's a great improvement over DVD and when shown on a video projector that allows 720p HD or better the difference with proper commercial BD's isn't all that great to my eyes.
[Post New]
I checked the Matroska page. Not sure which one to download?
RUSSELLF [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Feb 07, 2011 02:57 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Two points on this topic :-

a) When using Ultra to produce Region 2 1920X1080i 25 frame AVCHD on DVD discs using .m2ts files the menu video is coded as 24 Hz drop frame! This causes the BD player to pause and display it's output format on the TV when going from menu to main video. Why are non-standard Region 1 formats used for Region 2 discs?

b) Much worse than a) above is the fact if you use Ultra to down convert to normal 25i frame 720X576 DVDs the discs are progressive scan. 25p frame discs are non-standard everywhere!

Is Ultra only sold for home movie use in Europe?

Thanks

deklerkt [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I checked the Matroska page. Not sure which one to download?

That is the official page for those planning to program/work on Matroska.
For the Super tool see http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html and for tsmuxer see http://www.smlabs.net/tsmuxer_en.html .

As for wrong settings: I usually do go through all the settings manually to ensure 25 fps remains that way. There is no such thing as 24 fps for PAL television - only possibly for non-interlaced BR. The menu I sofar skipped - in fact the entire "disc" part fails on "no disc space" errors which is why I used "produce" and then went elsewhere until these problems get sorted out.
My personal use of PD is mostly on cleaning up tv/satellite broadcasts I want to keep and modify (removing commercials etc) for myself, hardly any home movie for me.
deklerkt [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've looked up some HD transmission data of satellite stations I receive, all in H.264 which may be useful for Cyberlink to keep in mind if they want to expand their tool to allow handling off air recorded programs.

For PD9 to be the tool that does smart rendering (i.e. mostly not) of those transmissions, is must allow output as progressive or interlaced scan type and it must be possible to allow bitrates starting at 11,000 bps and up to 60,000 (and of course way beyond for true AVCHD and BluRay quality programs).

(data order: station, width x height pixels, aspect ratio, frame rate, scan type and bitrate)

Germany:
ARD (Das Eins) HD 1280x720 16:9 50 fps progressive 28,748 bps
ZDF HD as ARD
ARTE HD 1280x720 16:9 50 fps progressive 29,998 bps
Eins Festival HD 1280x720 16:9 50 fps progressive 18,749 bps
Anixe HD 1920x1088 16:9 50 fps interlaced 60,000 bps

England
BBC HD 1440x1088 16:9 25 fps 60,000 bps
BBC One HD as BBC HD
ITV1 HD as BBC HD

Eurosport HD 1920x1088 16:9 25 fps interlaced 60,000 bps
History Channel HD 1920x1088 16:9 25 fps 11,962 bps

Belgium
Een (BRT1) 1280x720 16:9 50 fps progressive 60,000 bps
Ketnet (BRT2) as Een

Netherlands
Nederland 1 1920x1088 16:9 25 fps interlaced 60,000 bps
Nederland 2, 3: as 1
Consumenten24 (SD on H264) 720x576 16:9 25 fps interlaced 30,000 bps
[Post New]
Thanks for the download sites. How can you record over the air HD content and get it out of your cable-DVR box? I'm in the U.S.
deklerkt [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've got an HD satellite receiver (obviously the USA is behind the horizon for me, so it's PAL mostly) with hard disc recording options. The resulting files (in .ts or .trp format - yet another conversion to m2ts) are basically in those listed resolutions/bitrates and can be copied directly via a network cable to my pc. Or I could attach the drive to my pc as a USB disc.
And from there on, PD9 comes into play. If it wants to play that is.
Reply to this topic