Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Newbie Q on PD9 Features (which ones are actually useful)
jmone
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Nov 26, 2010 00:05 Messages: 706 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, Sorry for the Newbie Q. I've been editing home video for the last 10 years (DV, HDV) with Ulead/Corel Video Studio but have moved over to PD9 as it has better 1080/50p 264 support and after a day of playing with PD9 have some questions on what features are useful and what are....well "fluff" (and should be avoided), in particular:

- Magic "Stuff": Does anone actually use these and if so which ones and to what effect (Magic Movie Wizard, Magic Fix, Magic Cut, Magic Style, Magic Music)?
- Effects Wall: Lots here and many are "dramatic" and while they could be good for specific effects occasionally are any frequently used?
- Transition Tool: I was happy with a simple Fade (if any), any other popular everyday transitions to consider?

I'm sure there is more! Thanks for helping
Nathan

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 28. 2010 03:53

PD 64 Bit-Win10 64 Bit-32GB RAM-80TB HDD
Sony FX6 - 500Mbps 4k/50p AVC-I HLG
Canon XF400 - 150Mbps 4k/50p AVC
GoPro Hero6 Black
Pana HS700-28Mbps 1080/50p AVC (High@L4.2)
Canon HV20-HDV 25Mbps 16:9 1440x1080/25p MPEG
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Nathan,

You hit the nail on the head with serious video editors. Magic stuff, particle effects and numerous fades are for the newbies.

You will rarely see these fancy effects in good quality videos, most of them are fluff. I will say though I do like X-ray and emboss when used sparingly :

My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I was happy with a simple Fade (if any), any other popular everyday transitions to consider?

I'm a rank amateur, but I didn't find any of the "magic" stuff worth looking at.

I have used both effects and different transitions, but be aware that all of my work is "fun" stuff. I'm not doing BBC documentaries, or a Merchant Ivory production, so I have no need of professionalism.

When I have a lot of choppy little clips, I'll often use "slide left" as a transition because a fade between two disparate scenes wouldn't look as good. (Think of a shot of the Mona Lisa, jumping to a shot of the interior of a bus.) In such cases I need a clean break, but I still want some kind of transition. If I do want a simple cross-fade, I might put a tiny bit of black color board between the two clips.

I tend to think of transitions the way I would think of punctuation. I've used the "wormhole" and "mirror" effects almost like parentheses around a clip.

I will also use "grand opening" when a clip ends with a passage through a doorway or gate. For my last effort, I added a "creaky door" sound to go with entering through a cemetery gate.

I do try to maintain some consistency, so it doesn't look as though I were grabbing them at random. Two or three different types, plus a plain fade, is usually the limit.

I've also made good use of "no transition", but it seems to look different in PD9. That might be the "overlay" vs. "cross" issue.

As for effects, I've used those too -- but sparingly. For example, I've applied a flaring effect to text against a black background. (The title room lets you apply effects to the beginning and end of text object, so I guess that's more like a transition than an effect.)

For a surprise birthday party I used an effect that put starbursts around the guest of honor's head when she walked in.

For a tour of a crematorium, I used one of the fire effects (toned way down) near the floor; and I added some smoke coming out of an oven. This is all for comic effect, obviously.

As I said, I use them very sparingly.
Jerry Schwartz
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Nathan,

Welcome to the forum and we all have being newbie no matter the years we have use other video editors. Don’t worry about that. Some day you will become a CL forum Senior Contributor has I wish to be some day in the future. LOL

Magic "Stuff": It’s an Apple style simple way to edit your movies, or like Robert2 said.. is for the newbie’s, but don’t identify yourself with that (I never have use it)
Effects wall: like Ulead effects but better
Transition Tool: Same like Ulead and yes you have a FADE including a lot of much more effects to consider.

I have use Ulead, Sony Vegas, Pinnacle and Cyberlink PD have caught my attention, first of all because its have being the more stable video editor I have use. The most friendly and the most important thing (and above all), because people in here is more friendly and have in this forum the best help we can get.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
"Take what you can use and let the rest go by." Ken Kesey

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 28. 2010 17:31

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
With less words, more results. Learning more everyday
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: With less words, more results.

Less words, Adrian? Hell hath frozen over like an ex-wife.

As for Magic features, Magic Music, YES!
Other Magic features...I have used them to get the effects and video-clip flourishes they provide. Then I delete everything but those items, and proceed to re-cut the video.
I could also go into the program files to "grab" these items on their own, but, ehhhhhh, whatever.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 28. 2010 18:10

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
NicolasNY
[Post New]
Quote: Cant tell becouse my i have my wife for 28 years and doenst know what is a ex-wife.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
You will...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 28. 2010 19:00

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
NicolasNY
[Post New]
Excuse Mua Nina or Dafydd... but Bary a just cant say you LOL