Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to create a rotating 3d logo from a animated GIF or a JPEG?
ADERBAD [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 30, 2010 18:37 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hi!

Does anyone know how to use either an animated GIF of a 3D logo or to create one in PD8.

I am trying to create a video that includes a Logo (currently a JPEG image), and have that rotate on its vertical axis to create a rotating image. The only rotation I get in PD seems to be on a horizontal axis.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
You can create a animated GIF image in a Photo editor and import that gif into Powerdirector then put on the main video or on a PIP track.

You may be able to create an animated image in Powerdirector by placing a series of still images on one of the pip tracks and rotating in 3 to 5 orientations and producing a movie.

Once you have the animation you can then produce that logo as a Movie to be used over and over.

I do not see any 3D effects in Powerdirector.

Have you checked on the Director Zone? There may be something there.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 24. 2010 18:06

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

ADERBAD [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply.

That's what I was trying but could not get the rotation to work for me where the logo looked good.

One additional question regarding rotation. How do you rotate text or an image on the vertical axis running thru the centerline of the text or image. The only rotation that I see is on the center point of the object.

For a logo containing text the rotation needed is where the text stays on the same horizontal plane, but rotates on a vertical line in the center of the image. I hope I explained this right
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I don't know.

If you have Adobe Illustrator you may be able of do the 3d rotating object.

I saw a youtube.com video about that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVmunnv1CH4

You might search youtube for 3D animation. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Aderbad & Carl -

Gimp (freeware) has a neat little filter called Spinning Globe. I made this one in about 2 minutes by making a square graphic, applying the filter & exporting it as an animation.

The basics are shown here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ7AzuUs06c

I use QuickTime Pro to save the .gif as a video file. I've not found a way that GIMP can do that, but other animation software certainly would. PD needs it to be in a supported video format, where you can apply chroma-key to remove the white surround.

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Tony,

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
ADERBAD [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony,

Thanks for the help, thats exactly what I am trying to do. I will get Gimp and try it out.

Cheers
Aderbad
Kevin R.
Contributor Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas Joined: Aug 17, 2010 15:58 Messages: 320 Offline
[Post New]
Tony is the Man! He has more tricks up his sleeve Way to go Tony, I've wondered about this myself.
Cheers!
Kevin R. Saving the world, one goofy video and meme at a time.
ADERBAD [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony,

Thanks for all the help....One more question, how did you get your sphere so perfect. Here's my attempts none of which are as nice as yours. Attached is the original logo, and the animated one I created using GIMP.

Cheers

Aderbad
[Thumb - NAZC_1up_Final.jpg]
 Filename
NAZC_1up_Final.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
197 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
538 time(s)
[Thumb - nazclogo 1.gif]
 Filename
nazclogo 1.gif
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1537 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
560 time(s)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Aderbad -

I wouldn't be too disappointed with what you've achieved so far!

It's all about proportions. Because your logo is vertically elongated (422x738px), Gimp is producing a "globe" of the same proportions. If you plant your logo onto a square background, you'll get a sphere.

Also, if you scale your image to a height of about 600px, it won't get truncated in the process.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 26. 2010 13:24

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Tony-

I've looked over the program and have been playing with it, but I was unable to find a way to do the same without turning the image into a ball. I have a basic logo that I would like to spin around once or twice, but are words, not as a globe. Does this program offer that, as well?

Thanks,
Sean -