CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I have 12GB RAM installed - Why does it say 8GB usable?
Reply to this topic
[Post New]
I have 12GB RAM installed - Why does it say 8GB usable? It doesn't matter if I have any programs opened or closed.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
you may contact your Board manufacturer about this - maybe they restrict it?

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
I doubt that. It is a GA-X58A-UD7. Why would they do that (restrict)?
David_H [Avatar]
Member Private Message Location: U.S. Joined: Jan 08, 2009 16:19 Messages: 72 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Elwood Blues,

It may relate to the way memory is assigned to the "cores" in your CPU. I think the available RAM is sometimes divided between the cores in a multicore processor and no single core will have access to all 12 GB. If this is true for your computer, then the 8 GB may be reported from the perspective of the core your application was assigned to run in---especially if the application is not designed to take advantage of parallel processing.

Kind regards, David
[Post New]
David, This happens when I have all my applications closed. I'm looking at the Desktop. I go to control panel/System/Memory stats.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Elwood,

I am certainly not an expert, but a little history might help figure out your problem.

1. Did you recently add RAM to your system and it is not being recognized?
2. Is this your original configuration of your RAM?
3. Did you build your own system or was it an off the shelf PC?
4. Is your configuration 6 - 2 GIG RAM modules? Or some other configuration? 3- 4 GIG?
5. Have you tried removing and reseating your RAM modules?
6. You might try installing One module at a time and then booting your PC to see if you might have a defective RAM Module.
7. Has it always been this way? Or is it a recent new occurance?
8. Or try switching Ram ...slot for slot to see if you get a change.

Just some ideas...I don't know what might be wrong. Just thowing out some ideas for you to check.

Regards,

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
[Post New]
Thanks Kevin. Those are some very good tips. I think I will also call CPU Solutions, since they custom built it
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Elwood,

If you recently added memory: I have included the Manual instructions to double check your memory layout on the mother board for your specific motherboard from Gigabyte. Is it possible it might not be in the right slot?

Worth a look maybe.

Regards,

Kevin
[Thumb - Mother board layout.PNG]
 Filename
Mother board layout.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
Your Mother Board Layout
 Filesize
104 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
662 time(s)
[Thumb - Memory  Install Instructions.PNG]
 Filename
Memory Install Instructions.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
Memory Install guide
 Filesize
111 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
646 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 22. 2010 18:09

[Post New]
Kevin and Michael, it turns out some of the sticks weren't seated properly. The end tabs need to pop up when the sticks are seated. I thought that just because I could closed those tabs, that the memory sticks were in there properly. I was wrong.....but the builders didn't have it right either
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Hi Elwood,

I bet you were relieved that it was something rather simple. They do plug in rather hard and it would be easy to miss.

Glad you got it working and all 12 Gigs are working for you.

Regards,

Kevin
Reply to this topic