CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Will blurays play on non High Def monitor?
Reply to this topic
[Post New]
Will blurays play on non High Def monitor? My dell monitor only goes to 1280X1024. Would this cause my player to not show anything on the monitor? Thanks for your answers.
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
The answer is yes. You can watch your BD movies in a non HD monitor. It’s like viewing a normal DVD. I have a external BD disk drive/burner and use it to what movies in a lot of monitor (HD and none HD). The only problem can appear if you have a slow computer.

Cheers, Nicolas
[Post New]
Thanks nic!
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
The performance of the video will depend on your computer and video card. The quality of the video that you will see, depends on the monitor. Of course you will get full quality on BD with a HD monitor, otherwise you will see it like a standard DVD.

By the other hand.. if your BD have HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection), which has been adopted as the access restriction scheme for BD and HD DVD, so you cannot access to and copy the content from BD and HD DVD. And you cannot even play the movie on your monitor or TV when it is not HDCP compliant.

If this is the case, you have two solutions I have found in the Internet:

First solution: To be able to play back Blu-Ray movie on PC or TV, you need a monitor that is HDCP compliant as well as a video card that is HDCP compliant or a TV that is HDCP compliant. So you need to take out your purse and purchase the new HDCP compliant devices.

Second solution: Invest in Moyea http://www.my-video-converter.com/blu_ray_ripper/, it is cheaper than a new TV or monitor and video card and it is the software capable of dealing with AACS (up to MKBv17) and BD+ copy protection (under MKBv12), so you can run this powerful Blu-Ray Ripper to remove the HDCP restrictions and get all your Blu-Ray discs cracked with ease. Then you can play your Blu-ray movie with high quality on a non HDCP PC or TV. And you can freely backup or convert these Blu-Ray movies for many usages.

For Mac user can use http://www.my-video-converter.com/blu_ray_ripper_mac/.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 09. 2010 23:42

[Post New]
Well Nick, I am trying to get Power DVD to play blurays. I was able to, in the past. When I sent tech support my DxDiag file he said to "increase my monitor resolution to 1920x1080". I can't, it only goes to 1280x1024 I was sure that that has nothing to do with why my player says-"unsupported format in drive B".
NicolasNY
[Post New]
When you say…
Quote: ..I was able to, in the past.

What do you mean?. It’s the same computer and BD capable disk drive?. I have use my external BD disc drive to watch BD movies in my old computer that have a none HD monitor with 1280x1024 resolution.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 10. 2010 00:43

[Post New]
It (power DVD) just stopped playing blurays. I can still play dvds however. Tech support has no fix at this point.
Reply to this topic