CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
'I can play Green Zone. PDVD9 build 25289.51'
Reply to this topic
SeptimusFry
Senior Member Private Message Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I am posting here a new thread simply because this has been mentioned in a number of different threads and forums.

I have just received Green Zone and tried it out. Apart from apparently getting stuck at the Universal spinning logo, it plays fine on my platform. First thing though, I got a passing message which said the the menu for this BD-J menu does not support mouse clicks. As a result I had to click on the little 3x3 grid at the bottom for extra functions which brings up the PDVD9 virtual remote controller. This enables control by means of the 'remote's buttons. So when the screen arrives (after the warning blurb screens) which allows selection of play or chapter... you have to continue using the PDVD9 remote buttons.

It is all pretty logical, and I cannot understand why the BR disc itself does not support mouse clicks, but it doesnt. Once you have control with the 'virtual' remote, you will find that when the film is running, the pause, back, fwd controls do now work with mouse clicks, because they are PDVD controls, not controls on the BD menu.

Another thing I noticed was that the transfer was peaking out at around 45Mbps. That may be a bit fast for some computer buses? I don't know.

During play, one of my cores is running at 100%, the others nil, so the screening itself looks like it only uses one core. It is using 3GB of memory. My computere is running around the 4GB mark.

For info:
BR Player is LG BE06LU10
PowerDVD 8 Build 2528.51
Hardware as my signature.

I tried this 3 times, restarting the machine between 1 and 2; closing PDVD9 between 2 and 3; with another BR between 3 and 4. All exactly the same behaviour.

Denbigh i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
Rusell
Newbie Private Message Joined: Aug 25, 2010 19:37 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, Denb1gh.

I am stumped as to why you were able to watch Green Zone. I am using the same build of PDVD 9, which is 2528.51. I never got to the disk's menu screen that, as you say, "...allows selection of play or chapter." In other words I never get to the movie's title screen. Playback stopped after a selection of preview trailers. Then I get a black screen. This is the same trouble as reported by other posters, on the thread regarding can't play Green Zone.

A question: I notice that your location is Brittany, France. Do you think that has any thing to do with this Green Zone problem?

Comments:
1) I did not try using the virtual remote controller. But I doubt if that would have let me get to the movie's title screen.
2) Regarding the gray message that says this BD does not support mouse clicks, that is nothing unusual. Many new BDs give this same message, or one very similar to it. I have found that these messages actually indicate that the BD does not support most PowerDVD mouse functions and that the BD does not support PowerDVD keyboard shortcuts (for instance, "B" for rewind and "F" for fast forward). Some new BDs, however, do support those functions. Also, I get the same no-mouse-support message when using ArcSoft's TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum software. Therefore, in regard to BDs that give us these messages, I have been assuming that the Blu-ray programmers are lazy and that they are not providing PC users with full support.

My System:

Manufacturer: CyberPower Inc.
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits
CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme 975
Motherboard: MSI X-58 Pro-E (MS-7522)
Memory: 6GB DDR3 (3 x 2GB) Spec Tek Incorporated
Graphics: NVidia Ge Force GTX 295 (driver v.8.17.12.5896)
Sound: Creative Labs X-Fi Extreme Gamer (driver v.6.0.1.1373)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor 300GB 10,000 RPM
Mouse: Logitech HID-compliant G9 Laser Mouse (driver v.4.82.4.0) (USB)
Optical Drive: LiteOn iHAS124 SATA SuperAllwrite 24x DVD-RW
Optical Drive: LiteOn iHOS104 Internal 4x SATA BD-ROM
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2443 24" Widescreen LCD (5ms, 50,000:1, 1920x1200)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 10. 2010 18:21

SeptimusFry
Senior Member Private Message Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
Your platform is pretty much like mine, so there must be a reason which we can sort out.

First, the bar-code on my copy is 5 050582 758801, and in the bottom LH corner has a number 827 588 0 . 11 which is clearly the same effectively. It was ordered from Amazon UK.

I assumed that the message about mouse means what it says, and the on-screen buttons (as distinct from the PDVD buttons) do not respond to mouse-clicks. That seems to be the case. BD designers/implementers are not targetting PC software platforms, but BD dedicated players.

I got as far as the slowly rotating more-or-less full-screen Universal logo along with a language selection sidebar. At that point, I switched to using the 3x3 link to the separate controller. Pressing the OK button gets things moving again, and a longish 35 secs clip appears with warnings about copyright or whatever,with no sound. Then a little man appears and at that point the pause button, stop button etc begin to work (see below**). Finally the screen with Play, Chapters etc appears, but the mouse will NOT work on the buttons (consistent !!) only the PDVD buttons are in control.

** I assume that the buttons are inoperable in the same way as in my BD/DVD player I get 'not allowed' messages before all that stuff finishes.

D. i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
Rusell
[Post New]
Hey, Denb1gh.

I'm pleased to see that you are pursuing this issue. I want to help out more than I can, but I don't own Green Zone. I only rented it. In fact I rented it a second time just to see if the new PowerDVD build (2528.51) would play it. It did not. So I cannot tell you what the barcode was on my Green Zone Blu-ray disk.

Still, I'll try to help by remembering what I can when I tried to play the disk.

I certainly remember that I was able to watch a series of trailers. They played right after I put the disk into my Blu-ray optical drive, though I don't remember for sure if the Universal logo appeared before these trailers (I think it did). The trailers were apparently downloaded automatically over my DSL internet connection. While these trailers were playing, I could not access the movie's title menu. After all the trailers played, I got to a black screen. I do believe I tried to skip and fast-forward through the trailers, but that only got me to the black screen faster. And that was as far as I could get.

You don't mention the trailers. When you play your Green Zone Blu-ray disk, doesn't it automatically show a series of trailers before you get to the movie's title screen? If you don't see these trailers--they play automatically when the disk starts to play--I think that the trailers are a key as to what is going wrong with Green Zone. Maybe the black-screen freeze-up has something to do with the internet connection that is automatically made to download the trailers. Maybe your Blu-ray disk is different from the one that I and other poster have been using. Maybe with your disk, the internet connection is not made and the trailers are not played.

Though I'm not certain, I'm pretty sure the "does not support mouse" thing is irrelevant to our issue. But if I had a Green Zone Blu-ray disk handy, I would check it out.

Another thing I would check out, if I had Green Zone, is whether I could get to the movie's title screen and play the movie if I disabled my internet connection before inserting the disk. Maybe another viewer of this thread can try that.
SeptimusFry
[Post New]
My hope is that anyone else who cannot play Green Zone, and there are plenty, will cooperate either silently, following this dialogue, or be able to take over from Russel who doesn't own the disc.

TRAILERS: I have played the start of the BD a number of times, but never seen any trailers.

ANOTHER THING I JUST REMEMBERED: My computer runs in Test Mode all the time. That is the condition where digital driver signing is turned off. I have a few unsigned, but vital, drivers on my system and up to W7 I didn't have to do anything but W7 does not allow unsigned drivers.

How to disable Driver signing in Windows 7 (Test Mode)
Go to the Start menu and type cmd.exe in the Search Bar. Right click on cmd.exe and choose Run as Administrator.

If you have the UAC turned on, choose Yes to proceed.
Otherwise, you should see the command windows opened already. In the command window, copy paste the following and hit Enter.

bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON

You’ll get a confirmation that the operation completed successfully, as you can see below:

Restart your computer for the changes to take effect. You’ve just disabled digital driver signing in Windows 7

When I have time, I shall put driver signing back on and see if that makes a difference. In the meantime, can someone else who does have trouble with GZ come back on the forum to pick up this issue. Otherwise, I shall not waste any more of my time. :

i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
Rusell
[Post New]
SeptimusFry, it looks like you changed your changed your tag. Good. That other one was unpronounceable.

Back to Green Zone.

It seems to me, SeptimusFry, that you are indeed using a different Green Zone Blu-ray disk than I and others like me have been using. We see trailers; you don't. We can't get to the movie; you can. I suspect it's because your Blu-ray disk is a European edition and ours is a U.S. edition.

If anyone else has the U.S. edition of Green Zone Blu-ray and if you are using PowerDVD and cannot get to the movie, I suggest that you try disabling your Internet connection before inserting the disk. I doubt that will work, but I don't have any other ideas, unless you're willing to dish out a hundred bucks for ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum (which will play the U.S. edition of Green Zone) or unless you're humble enough to watch the regular DVD version of Green Zone.
KRONAH [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Oct 22, 2008 04:23 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
It's the region A rental version that has the incompatible code,

Cyberlink thinks it is an 'ad' issue,
and could be if the bd live is interupting playback.

I suspect if the preview mode doesn't clear from the player and due to this the menu can't load.
Whatever string Universal is using to switch they must be relying on hardware support perhaps available to a stand alone Blu-ray player that the Software Player / PC Hardware needs a virtual solution for,

this will probably be solved with a new version 9 build or patch instead of an update to address the component properly.
So it may be some time before that is done, since I'm sure most of their team is working on Version 10 right now.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 12. 2010 18:50

Rusell
[Post New]
KRONAH,

Thanks for the informative reply.

Do you think the region A rental version will show the movie if the PC's Internet connection is disabled?

I hope that by "new version" you mean an update of PowerDVD 9 version 2581.51, currently the newest version. When you mention Version 10, you make me think I am going to have to spend more money. (I have PowerDVD 9 Ultra, and I do not want to spend money for PowerDVD 10.)
KRONAH [Avatar]
[Post New]
Good thinking russell, I tried it just to see, and it tried to load the Universal Opening which interestingly failed even though it is on disc, then tried to the load the previews which it skipped, then it switched to try to load the menu and no dice still. So then that makes me think there is a path resolution problem perhaps where it switches to the bd live directory and doesn't switch back thus can't load the menu thus can't play. Just some good hypothesis, but I'll leave it to Cyberlink to fix, I paid for it, it should work. I'd expect at minimum my money back if I had to go in there and figure it out and fix it myself. They guarantee blu ray playback with this version, I'm confident they will live up to their claim.
Rusell
[Post New]
Thank you very much, KRONAH.

I'd be pleased to hear what, if anything, Cyberlink is going to do about this. If I can help, please advise.

I have just spoken with a Netflix agent, and I have explained the issure regarding PowerDVD not properly playing the Green Zone region A rental Blu-ray disk. The agent was knowledgeable about this kind of issue, and he explained that sometimes Blu-ray player software doesn't keep up with newly released disks. He said that he would be pleased to pass on my report and try to get Cyberlink to issue an update patch that will solve the problem.

I guess all that we can do now is to check Cyberlink for new updates.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 12. 2010 20:18

SeptimusFry
[Post New]
From the last few posts, it looks as if you are right in differentiating the rental from retail version. I can find no mention of a region code, are BD's regionalized?? One of the included language options is Mandarin, which is not generally spoken in Europe !!

Anyway, can anyone come back with a serial number for a non-working GZ, please?

Not having any real sympathy with CL on many issues, including the support - I do think it is a bit unfair to blame them when BD producers keep moving the goalposts. It seems pretty sure that on GZ it is to do with the use of BD-J (java on BD) and this is relatively recent. Both producers and players must keep up to speed with each other. The 'advanced' content or rather the meta-language surrounding the BD content is the problem.

I note that if I turn java fault exposure on in IE8, many sites, including big business sites - display a lot of java faults on their pages. It is a marvel that some pages work at all !! I suspect this is similar to the GZ problem.
i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
Rusell
[Post New]
SeptimusFry.

Sorry I don't have the serial number. I returned the disk some days ago.

In regard to the lack of support for mouse functions and keyboard shortcuts, I too have always thought the fault lay with BD programmers, not with CyberLink. For one thing, some new BDs give that support and some do not. Also, the same lack of support for mouse functions exists with Arcsoft's TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum (Arcsoft's keyboard shortcuts did, however, work with Green Zone).

Nevertheless, the Netflix representative with whom I spoke yesterday was quite knowledgeable about our issue regarding Green Zone and the trailers and our inability to get to the title screen and play the movie. He was familiar with this precise issue and knew exactly what was happening. He told me the trouble had to do with copyright protection. Even though CyberLink may not be at fault, apparently the only fix is for CyberLink to release a new PowerDVD update. (The Blu-ray disk manufacturers are not going to recall the rental disks and re-release disks with better programming.)
KRONAH [Avatar]
[Post New]
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=41743

Found this thread in my search, and based on your converstation with Netflix I think it's a spot on copyprotection code blocking PC software and hardware that doesn't meet a minimum qualifying spec to prevent which specific mechanism they are blocking, that differentiates the stand alone players from the vulnerabilities of the PC environment.

If someone really wanted to rip it off though it can be done, they are just making it harder for the average person to be able to do it. I suppose they think computer based consumers don't matter as much when making this, and unfortunatley it's harder to code out than a stand alone player which is why Cyberlink likley hasn't come out with the patch yet.

I'm returning my second copy to Netflix in exchaging for a movie I can play, and write a letter to Universal to make it a point to allow the Software world to prepare for their code.

--
Added

This is my message to Universal I just sent:

I use Cyberlink PowerDVD 9, and the title Green Zone rented from Netflix will not play on this player. This has been determined to be due to the formatting of the disc. In order for Software users to enjoy new rentals, please ensure that the Software Players can also play the rentals. We have contacted Netflix and Cyberlink, as well as found others with other players where this is leading to conclude a gap in the anti-piracy code which either fails the menu or the movie. While you don't make the player, you do make the disc, and since I can play other movies, this product has cost me time and money trying to figure out what went wrong. Please plan better and don't waist my time.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 14. 2010 02:39

Rusell
[Post New]
Good work, KRONAH.

Would you please tell me the address that you sent your Universal message to? Presumably you meant an email message. I'll send one of my own if you tell me where to send it. Maybe other viewers of this thread will also contribute.
KRONAH [Avatar]
[Post New]
Universal's response:

Dear Mr. Wood,

Thank you for contacting us.

"Green Zone" and all of our Blu-ray releases fall within the industry specification. It is the responsibility of the player manufacturers to correct playability issues by providing firmware upgrades.

This situation is not unique to the Blu-ray format. Similar issues occurred in the early days of DVD as well. Because Blu-ray technology is still relatively a new format, it is likely that firmware upgrades will continue to be required for some time.

Sincerely,

Consumer Relations
UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT

--
You can send a message via UniversalPictures.com under contact us and the BD & DVD link.
Rusell
[Post New]
Good job, KRONAH. Following your directions, I left my message. I hope that other viewers of this thread will do the same. :

Here is the precise Internet path that I followed to get to the place where letters (messages) can be directed to Universal Pictures:

universalpictures.com
Contact Us
DVD/BLU-RAY
CONTACT US
I Accept
USA

Note: You will have to change that last part if you are in a country other than the USA.
Rusell
[Post New]
Below is the reply I got from my message to Universal Pictures. The fact that it is a duplicate of the reply sent to KRONAH indicates a distinct lack of concern. Also, the fact that the reply uses the phrase "firmware upgrades" indicates that the Universal representative did not read my message very well (or KRONAH's either). We were not writing about a firmware issue; we were writing about a software issue.

"Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

"Green Zone" and all of our Blu-ray releases fall within the industry specification. It is the responsibility of the player manufacturers to correct playability issues by providing firmware upgrades.

This situation is not unique to the Blu-ray format. Similar issues occurred in the early days of DVD as well. Because Blu-ray technology is still relatively a new format, it is likely that firmware upgrades will continue to be required for some time.

Please contact CyberLink Customer Support for further assistance.

Sincerely,

Consumer Relations
UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT"

Rusell
[Post New]
Below is CyberLink's technical-support reply to my query re the Green Zone issue:

Dear Russell,

Thank you for writing back.

I understand that you are unable to play "Green Zone" Blu-ray in PowerDVD 9 Ultra software.

I apologize for the delayed response.

In regards to your issue, I would like to inform you that I have already escalated this case to the product and developement department and it vis declared as BUG in this software and I request you to please have patient till I get the exact resolution. As our team is working hard to get the customer's satisfaction.

I deeply regret for the inconvenience caused to you.

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products. Use the below mentioned link to get back to us for your further queries:

http://www.CyberLink.com/english/cs/support/form/index.jsp

Thanks and Regards,

Tanmay
CyberLink Technical Support
KRONAH [Avatar]
[Post New]
If it were you would, and you found the joy in 3D Movies, what would you upgrade with?

hmmm...

I already am going to buy a Sony LED 3D 240Hz 1080p HDTV as my computer monitor, hmm.

Do I continue to have these problems or just do a fiber optic out of a bluray player into my soundcards auxilary bay, hmmm...

I don't really feel like waisting my money on my drive but asus hasn't released any updates since I bought it, and I am already worried my drive will go out of date.

hmmmmmmm.....

Things like this make me wonder why I even have to think about it.
MARK [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Sep 18, 2010 05:57 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I had the same problem of not being able to play a rental version of the Green Room (I am in Australia). However, I did get it to finally play. From the other posts I saw that the issue appeared to be with downloading trailers from the Net.

So what I did was just unplug my network connection and the movie played straightaway

I switched to 'classic version' first but I think the resolution was not having the network, so it skips past the trailer bit.

Hope this helps.
Reply to this topic