Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
defective frames on rendered video
RogerioBrito [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 30, 2023 08:41 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Powerdirector 365 (21.4.5131.0)
MacbookPro 2022
MacOs Ventura 13.3.1 (a) (22E772610a)

Hello, I'm using PowerDirector to edit movies from my son's soccer games. Source movies are iPhone 14 Pro MOV files.
I'm exporting using the following configuration:

File Format: H.264 AVC
File extension: mp4
Profile type: default
Profile name/quality: MPEG-4 1920x1080/24p (16 mbps)

On all the movies I export I get several defective frames like the attached image.

I get the same results checking and not cheking Fast Video Rendering Technology.

What can I do?
Thanks
[Thumb - failed_frame.jpg]
 Filename
failed_frame.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
defective frame
 Filesize
557 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The digital artifact is shown in the attached image. This can be when there is a lot of motion at a low bitrate. You could use 30 or 60 fps to record instead of 24.

If those artifacts do not show on the clip in the media library or other viewers on the pc, then go to preferences/Hardware acceleration and uncheck the hardware decoding and click OK. That should fix it. Use a 24 fps timeline to match the clips you recorded or export.
RogerioBrito [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The digital artifact is shown in the attached image. This can be when there is a lot of motion at a low bitrate. You could use 30 or 60 fps to record instead of 24.

If those artifacts do not show on the clip in the media library or other viewers on the pc, then go to preferences/Hardware acceleration and uncheck the hardware decoding and click OK. That should fix it. Use a 24 fps timeline to match the clips you recorded or export.

Hello tomasc

I don't have a Hardware section on my preferences windows, please see attached image. I couldn't find hardware decoding anywhere on the Settings.

I have tried several different resolutions and framerates, formats (AVC, HEVC), extensions (MP4, MKV) and I have always those same defective frames. On the original files I don't have them, neither the preview on Powerdirector.

What else can I do?
Thanks!
[Thumb - settings.jpg]
 Filename
settings.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
586 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There aren't many Mac users on the forum, so now we know that the Mac version doesn't have a Hardware Acceleration preferences page like the Windows version does.

In your case, it might be that you have a variable frame rate in your original clips. That's typical if they were shot with a phone camera, and you might want to try converting them to a fixed framerate using a free 3rd party converter like Handbrake.
RogerioBrito [Avatar]
[Post New]
Some more information... I've just cut part of the video on the timeline, the part that had the defective frames.
And the defective frames changed! It's around 2:08 on the timeline... the new rendered movie had new defective frames around the same time. Those frames were okay on the other tests...

Please advise,
Thanks!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
In your above settings screenshot, your Profile export is set to 60 fps, while your timeline is set to 30 fps instead of 29.97 so I will assume that you don’t live in North America. You claim earlier that your camera recording is set to 24 fps. None of these settings match which will cause judder in the exported file. Try optodata’s conversion solution. It should help.
RogerioBrito [Avatar]
[Post New]
Converting the original files to a fixed frame rate did it.

Thanks a lot guys!

Best,