Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Clips in timeline different than in Media Library - PD 18
Wrldtrvlr [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 06, 2020 17:47 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I'm coming across a very confusing (and frustrating) problem. Some clips play differently when I pull them into the timeline. They are shorted or edited in some way. I confirm that they are fine by playing them in the media library but when I drag them down they some how change.

I've tried dowloading from the raw video again, renaming the file, starting a brand new project, taking off hardware acceleration, restarting PD, and nothing has worked. I did start using image stabilization on this project but I'm not sure this has anything to do with it.

Any ideas on how to fix this? It just started happening with this project.

Thanks!
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

I'm coming across a very confusing (and frustrating) problem. Some clips play differently when I pull them into the timeline. They are shorted or edited in some way. I confirm that they are fine by playing them in the media library but when I drag them down they some how change.

I've tried dowloading from the raw video again, renaming the file, starting a brand new project, taking off hardware acceleration, restarting PD, and nothing has worked. I did start using image stabilization on this project but I'm not sure this has anything to do with it.

Any ideas on how to fix this? It just started happening with this project.

Thanks!

What is the source of your video clips? Provide the details of a trouble clip by using MediaInfo app or the online link and upload the text file to the forum, https://mediaarea.net/MediaInfoOnline .

My initial guess is a very variable fps in your source clips based on your symptoms. You could try free HandBrake utility to encode your source files to constant fps and near constant bitrate with the same resolution and similar quality of your source files and use those files in PD18 and see if you have better editing luck.

Jeff
Wrldtrvlr [Avatar]
[Post New]

What is the source of your video clips? Provide the details of a trouble clip by using MediaInfo app or the online link and upload the text file to the forum, https://mediaarea.net/MediaInfoOnline .

My initial guess is a very variable fps in your source clips based on your symptoms. You could try free HandBrake utility to encode your source files to constant fps and near constant bitrate with the same resolution and similar quality of your source files and use those files in PD18 and see if you have better editing luck.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your quick response! The source is my cell phone video. I've attached the text file you asked for.

Looking forward to your thoughts. (In the meantime I'll try to figure out what HandBrake is)

Thanks,
Darius
 Filename
DJI_20230526_131550_58_video.mp4_MediaInfo.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
4 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
61 time(s)
Wrldtrvlr [Avatar]
[Post New]

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Handbrake seems to have worked! Thank you so much!

I'm going to be shooting a lot with my cell phone. Is there any way to prevent this in the future or is PD planning on fixing this?

Thanks,
Darius
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hey Jeff,

Handbrake seems to have worked! Thank you so much!

I'm going to be shooting a lot with my cell phone. Is there any way to prevent this in the future or is PD planning on fixing this?

Thanks,
Darius

From your text file:
Frame rate : 27.643 FPS
Minimum frame rate : 7.444 FPS
Maximum frame rate : 75.314 FPS

That 7.4-75.3fps is surely to cause lots of issues in PD18. Phones do this to conserve storage space, so what you get is largely dependent on what you are filming. Some clips might not be so problematic others very problematic. It's best to just convert them. I know, PD specs or other detailed feature support info will imply iPhone compatible, it's just not.

Filmic Pro app on the phone can do it, but lots of people think it's not as convenient to launch an app vs using Phone features.

To save lots of peculiar editing hassles, I'd simply get a good HandBrake profile for the Phone quality you’re using and intended end use and preprocess all clips prior to PD editing.

Jeff
Wrldtrvlr [Avatar]
[Post New]

From your text file:
Frame rate : 27.643 FPS
Minimum frame rate : 7.444 FPS
Maximum frame rate : 75.314 FPS

That 7.4-75.3fps is surely to cause lots of issues in PD18. Phones do this to conserve storage space, so what you get is largely dependent on what you are filming. Some clips might not be so problematic others very problematic. It's best to just convert them. I know, PD specs or other detailed feature support info will imply iPhone compatible, it's just not.

Filmic Pro app on the phone can do it, but lots of people think it's not as convenient to launch an app vs using Phone features.

To save lots of peculiar editing hassles, I'd simply get a good HandBrake profile for the Phone quality you’re using and intended end use and preprocess all clips prior to PD editing.

Jeff

Thanks for your advice! I appreciate it.