Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Does PD21 render faster than PD14?
goodguy309 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 18, 2015 09:03 Messages: 41 Offline
[Post New]
I have PD14 and shy away from using the Fix/Enhance color correction and exposure due to excessive render times.

A 30 minute clip takes over an hour to render if Fix/Enhance changes are used. If left alone, render is 'sometimes' 10 minutes.

I have a Ryzen 7, Radeon HD6450 card and 32gb of ram.

I do NOT use SVRT because it makes zero difference.

Does PD21 have a better render engine?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have PD14 and shy away from using the Fix/Enhance color correction and exposure due to excessive render times.

A 30 minute clip takes over an hour to render if Fix/Enhance changes are used. If left alone, render is 'sometimes' 10 minutes.

I have a Ryzen 7, Radeon HD6450 card and 32gb of ram.

I do NOT use SVRT because it makes zero difference.

Does PD21 have a better render engine?

Kind of a loaded question, some Fix/Enhance aspects improved significantly, others not. For some Fix/Enhance operations render times did improve. It also takes extreme care for a good back-to-back comparison as for instance PD14 could not do hardware decoding for some timeline contents while PD21 can which can lead to significant render time changes but not really directly attributed to say Fix/Enhance.

I have PD14 and PD21 on the same platform. If you want to share a representative project of your interest, I could do a back to back test for you on my platform which may give you some guidance on what to expect and if PD21 update helps your specific need.

Jeff
goodguy309 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Kind of a loaded question, some Fix/Enhance aspects improved significantly, others not. For some Fix/Enhance operations render times did improve. It also takes extreme care for a good back-to-back comparison as for instance PD14 could not do hardware decoding for some timeline contents while PD21 can which can lead to significant render time changes but not really directly attributed to say Fix/Enhance.

I have PD14 and PD21 on the same platform. If you want to share a representative project of your interest, I could do a back to back test for you on my platform which may give you some guidance on what to expect and if PD21 update helps your specific need.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

In my scenario, I change Color Adjustment/Exposure from 100 (default) to 105 and White Balance/Color to 45. That's all. My clip was 30 minutes long.

Forgive my memory but without any adjustments, I believe render time was around 18 minutes. With those two adjustments, it ran to about 55 minutes.

Oh, the video I shoot is MP4, 35K, 59.??P at full HD.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 25. 2023 13:09

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Jeff,

In my scenario, I change Color Adjustment/Exposure from 100 (default) to 105 and White Balance/Color to 45. That's all. My clip was 30 minutes long.

Forgive my memory but without any adjustments, I believe render time was around 18 minutes. With those two adjustments, it ran to about 55 minutes.

Oh, the video I shoot is MP4, 35K, 59.??P at full HD.

Thanks for adding the 59.??P as that's very important. Obviously since color adjustments are on a frame-by-frame basis, 2X the number of frames makes a huge difference when encoding with Fix/Enhance adjustments vs encoding without any adjustments.

I created some sample footage downscaling some 4k footage to H.264, MP4, 35Mbps, 59.94P, 1920x1080 footage to use a source to mimic your needs.

The attached chart is my results and have been normalized to PD14 Base encode elapsed time:
Base column is all CPU decoding, CPU encoding to the same produce specs as source above
Adjusted column is same as "Base" but applying Fix/Enhance, 105 Exposure and WB Color and Tint to 45
Best column is the same as "Adjusted" but using the best settings I know for my hardware

All 5 files produced are of similar detailed video specifications and no visual anomalies between them.

My results for PD14 are similar to yours, 55/18=3.05 times slower with Fix/Enhance adjustments vs my table value of 3.296 times slower so maybe overall characteristics might mimic your needs.

PD21 improves base encode times relative to PD14 and also has a smaller slowness multiplier for the Fix/Enhance application.

As I mentioned, specific details can be very important. The "Best" column is exactly that, based on experience, the best settings I know for my hardware, so no longer just CPU decode and encode but taking advantage of the GPU's I have.

As usual, your mileage may vary.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD14_21_FixEnh.PNG]
 Filename
PD14_21_FixEnh.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
10 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 25. 2023 15:29

goodguy309 [Avatar]
[Post New]

As usual, your mileage may vary.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff!

And yes, I forgot what came after the 59 so I added the ??

True, I've noticed no anomalies even when I just redid the same video to Exposure 110 and Color Correction to 40.

It made no difference on render times which I wouldn't expect.

As far as PD14, I can only set Hardware Acceleration to Hardware decode. Who know if this really works because it doesn't appear on the Produce page.

Thanks for all your help!
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote As far as PD14, I can only set Hardware Acceleration to Hardware decode. Who know if this really works because it doesn't appear on the Produce page.

Yes, in your case it really does not matter much as your HD 6450 will offer no significant benefit for anything video editing related, so it's just your Ryzen 7 doing the work, which ever model you have. That's why I constructed all the comparisons with just CPU decoding and encoding to be the most applicable to you and provided a single comparison of higher end GPU's with PD21.

PD14 has not been updated by CL GPU support wise so even if you get a somewhat recent Nvidia GPU, any current driver is not supported with PD14 encoding. One would need to digress ~5 years or so driver wise which can be problematic.

PD14 with CPU decode and encode still a viable option if it meets your needs.

Jeff