Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD14 inserting a \\? at start of filename when I save a project
goodguy309 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 18, 2015 09:03 Messages: 41 Offline
[Post New]
I had to redo my PC with Windows10 to get rid of Windows 11.

I reinstalled PD14 and its patch.

However, on occassion, when I try to save a project, it prepends \\? at the start of the filename.

Example:

original project filename: \\f:\make my day.pds

error when saving in filename: \\?\f:make my day.pds

If memory serves me corrrectly, I had this problem many, many years ago but with Windows 7.

Anyone have an idea?

Roland
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I have PD14 installed on Win11 and don't remember ever seeing anything like that. Are you trying to save to a removable drive, like a USB stick?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 24. 2023 13:40

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I had to redo my PC with Windows10 to get rid of Windows 11.

I reinstalled PD14 and its patch.

However, on occassion, when I try to save a project, it prepends \\? at the start of the filename.

Example:

original project filename: \\f:\make my day.pds

error when saving in filename: \\?\f:make my day.pds

If memory serves me corrrectly, I had this problem many, many years ago but with Windows 7.

Anyone have an idea?

Roland

You probably set up file sharing in WIN which uses a UNC path specification for a network share. "Network" area is a UNC path, basically, \\NAME. That \\F: UNC path even though it gets you to the same location as a direct mapping is not the same as F:\ path reference and they do not behave the same. Through the years, CL products have not been real accommodating of the UNC paths.

If this is the path to your F: drive, I'd define a direct map so it's seen as F: vs \\F: and use that for specification in PD.

Jeff
goodguy309 [Avatar]
[Post New]

You probably set up file sharing in WIN which uses a UNC path specification for a network share. "Network" area is a UNC path, basically, \\NAME. That \\F: UNC path even though it gets you to the same location as a direct mapping is not the same as F:\ path reference and they do not behave the same. Through the years, CL products have not been real accommodating of the UNC paths.

If this is the path to your F: drive, I'd define a direct map so it's seen as F: vs \\F: and use that for specification in PD.

Jeff

The drive was always assigned the F: letter by WIN. I had to rebuild my system from scratch with Win10 so the drive letter designation didn't change.

However, I do have some shared folder on the F: drive so I might be missing a switch somewhere.

Here's the weird part. If I saved a project as f:\\my project. All was well but if the filename were long, like 30 characters (I'm guessing), that's when the \\? appears.

I see to recall this issue years ago, many years ago.
goodguy309 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I should mention that I added a hard drive and the SATA connection on the motherboard was moved to a different port. However, I just checked Disk Management and it's set to f: and not a Path.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Jeff, I should mention that I added a hard drive and the SATA connection on the motherboard was moved to a different port. However, I just checked Disk Management and it's set to f: and not a Path.

Not sure Disk Management will tell the whole story. You might see what properties reports or in a explorer window type \\F and see where it takes you. I had mentioned this originally as you typed a "\\f:\make my day.pds", that little "f" is proper for network name, not a map name.

Jeff
[Thumb - UNC_Path.PNG]
 Filename
UNC_Path.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
18 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 24. 2023 19:07

goodguy309 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Not sure Disk Management will tell the whole story. You might see what properties reports or in a explorer window type \\F and see where it takes you. I had mentioned this originally as you typed a "\\f:\make my day.pds", that little "f" is proper for network name, not a map name.

Jeff

HI Jeff, it's not shared at the F: level but I do have shared folders on the drive.

I have a F:\video\many sub folders that I use with PD14. None are shared.

I have a F:\pictures\ many sub folders. Some of those folders are network shared with my printers HP Scan To Network Folder utility and each folder requires network path and machine login password.

The odd part is I've have this arrangement work for years on Win10 without issue. The issue resurfaced when I redid my system back to Win10 from scratch.

Now, I've not experience the network path (as you've described) in a few days on the very same folder that I had an issue.
goodguy309 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Jeff

Jeff, thanks for all your help! Like I said, it was YEARS since I saw this issue on my Windows 7 machine. I simply forgot what the \\? prepend meant but in that case, it took simply went away.

I checked for Win10 updates yesterday and lo and behold, there was a Win10 H2 update for this month.

I appreciate your time.