Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Restoring changes to audio - is it possible?
SixtiesFan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 14, 2022 09:23 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I know it's possible to undo changes while PowerDirector remains open, but after saving a project and returning to it later, is it possible to undo any changes made to the audio track (for example, equalizer settings using the audio editor)?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Unfortunately the short answer is NO.

However, if you have the autosave feature enabled, you should be able to recover a version of the project from before the point you made the audio changes. The folder is specified on this settings page:

Once you've found a clean version of the clip, copy it to the clipboard then reopen the current project. Now delete the existing clip, making sure to not move any of the following clips (aka use Shift+Delete or choose the Delete and Leave Gap option).

Please make a note of any transitions at the start or end of the clip before deleting it because you'll need to add them back later.

Finally, paste the replacement clip to the original location, replace any Cross transitions and you'll be all set.

Note that if you used any Overlap transitions to connect the original clip to preceding/following clips, you'll want to first change each one to Cross before deleting the original clip. That's because PD will then shift the positions of the clips on the same track to account for the actual duration of the clip and you don't want to try and do it manually later. Trust me. You don't want to do that.

To change the tranistion type, double-click on it or right click and choose Modify Transition. You can also select it and click on the Modify tool that will appear above the timeline.

After pasting the replacement clip, make sure you have the preferences set to use Overlap transitions and drag the appropriate ones back onto the starting and/or ending edge of the replacement clip as needed to resore the original timing of that track.

Once that's done, save your project and you should be good to go
SixtiesFan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Unfortunately the short answer is NO.

However, if you have the autosave feature enabled, you should be able to recover a version of the project from before the point you made the audio changes. The folder is specified on this settings page:

Once you've found a clean version of the clip, copy it to the clipboard then reopen the current project. Now delete the existing clip, making sure to not move any of the following clips (aka use Shift+Delete or choose the Delete and Leave Gap option).

Please make a note of any transitions at the start or end of the clip before deleting it because you'll need to add them back later.

Finally, paste the replacement clip to the original location, replace any Cross transitions and you'll be all set.

Note that if you used any Overlap transitions to connect the original clip to preceding/following clips, you'll want to first change each one to Cross before deleting the original clip. That's because PD will then shift the positions of the clips on the same track to account for the actual duration of the clip and you don't want to try and do it manually later. Trust me. You don't want to do that.

To change the tranistion type, double-click on it or right click and choose Modify Transition. You can also select it and click on the Modify tool that will appear above the timeline.

After pasting the replacement clip, make sure you have the preferences set to use Overlap transitions and drag the appropriate ones back onto the starting and/or ending edge of the replacement clip as needed to resore the original timing of that track.

Once that's done, save your project and you should be good to go

Thanks for the detailed response to my question. However, there are a couple of things I don't understand:

Q1. If I am able to find an autosave copy of the project prior to editing the audio component of a video clip, why do I then need to replace the video clip with an unedited version? Also, how long are autosave projects stored (I could only find one in the cache when I checked this morning and that was for a project I was working on yesterday evening)?

Q2. I don't understand what you mean when you say "That's because PD will then shift the positions of the clips on the same track to account for the actual duration of the clip and you don't want to try and do it manually later." What would I have to do manually later? FYI, when I've replaced a clip previously, I've deleted the unmodified transitions either side of the clip I was replacing; deleted the clip, leaving a gap, inserted the replacement clip and then re-added the transitions. Whether that works in the same way as the method you have described I am not sure.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Q1. If I am able to find an autosave copy of the project prior to editing the audio component of a video clip, why do I then need to replace the video clip with an unedited version?

Maybe I misundertood your question, but that's the quickest way to "undo" the audio changes in a saved project. I had to assume many things here because you didn't provide any details about your project, and some of the things I assumed were that you had also edited the video portion of the clip and that it was part of a fairly complex timeline.

If instead you have a single clip where you'd made only an audio edit, then it's much easier to delete the unwanted clip and simply drag the original clip onto the timeline again and produce.

Quote Also, how long are autosave projects stored (I could only find one in the cache when I checked this morning and that was for a project I was working on yesterday evening)?/

I believe PD will automatically delete the auto-saved project after 30 days

Quote Q2. I don't understand what you mean when you say "That's because PD will then shift the positions of the clips on the same track to account for the actual duration of the clip and you don't want to try and do it manually later." What would I have to do manually later? FYI, when I've replaced a clip previously, I've deleted the unmodified transitions either side of the clip I was replacing; deleted the clip, leaving a gap, inserted the replacement clip and then re-added the transitions. Whether that works in the same way as the method you have described I am not sure.

It sounds like you've used Cross transitions, which don't change any clip positions when they're added or removed. Again, without any knowledge of what's on your project's timeline, I wanted to share the extra steps needed if you happened to have used Overlay transitions.

If you want to get a better understanding of what I wrote, try changing one or more of your current Cross transitions to Overlay to see how that shifts all the clips on the timeline. At that point you can see ho hard it is to manage when you try to paste the recovered clip into a space that's too short with the transition(s) removed.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 30. 2023 13:55

SixtiesFan [Avatar]
[Post New]

Maybe I misundertood your question, but that's the quickest way to "undo" the audio changes in a saved project. I had to assume many things here because you didn't provide any details about your project, and some of the things I assumed were that you had also edited the video portion of the clip and that it was part of a fairly complex timeline.

If instead you have a single clip where you'd made only an audio edit, then it's much easier to delete the unwanted clip and simply drag the original clip onto the timeline again and produce.

I believe PD will automatically delete the auto-saved project after 30 days

It sounds like you've used Cross transitions, which don't change any clip positions when they're added or removed. Again, without any knowledge of what's on your project's timeline, I wanted to share the extra steps needed if you happened to have used Overlay transitions.

If you want to get a better understanding of what I wrote, try changing one or more of your current Cross transitions to Overlay to see how that shifts all the clips on the timeline. At that point you can see ho hard it is to manage when you try to paste the recovered clip into a space that's too short with the transition(s) removed.

Thank you for the additional explanantion. From what I recall, I did have problems with replacing clips previously (using overlay transitions), so that's when I found that if I removed the transitions either side of the clip I wanted to remove, it expanded the gap so that the replacement clip would fit, in much the same way that changing to a cross transition would do from what you say. It's a pity that PD doesn't keep a record of any changes to the audio track, even after closing the program as that would remove the need for this workaround. That's one feature that I liked about AVS Video Editor as you could go back at any time and see what changes you had made to the audio and make amendments as required.