Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
High CPU and low GPU utilisation using PD365/21
[Post New]
Hello,
I've seen some similar topics, but none of them could solve my problem.
I have a new laptop with quite solid specs - build on Ryzen 5 and GTX 3050.
When I edit using PD365 my CPU utilisation is unacceptable at 100%, when GPU is only 14%.
I don't understand why PD doesn't prioritise GPU over CPU.
I tested it with Filmora and the competition software usage is GPU: 84%, CPU:37%. This is my goal for PD365.

Anyway, I found some useful tips online including Malek from PowerDirector University.

My internal GPU is disabled.

The latest drivers installed

I Added PD to the Hardware-accelerated GPU

Have tried to add my GPU as the preferred graphics processor in the Nvidia setting, but it's greyed out. I believe that's the main issue. All programs run by the dedicated GPU now, but not the Cyberlink family. Still shows as integrated GPU is used. No idea why. It's disabled.

Power Director reinstalled a couple of times, registry cleared so fresh installation.

I'm running out of options.
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello,
I've seen some similar topics, but none of them could solve my problem.
I have a new laptop with quite solid specs - build on Ryzen 5 and GTX 3050.
When I edit using PD365 my CPU utilisation is unacceptable at 100%, when GPU is only 14%.
I don't understand why PD doesn't prioritise GPU over CPU.
I tested it with Filmora and the competition software usage is GPU: 84%, CPU:37%. This is my goal for PD365.

Anyway, I found some useful tips online including Malek from PowerDirector University.

My internal GPU is disabled.

The latest drivers installed

I Added PD to the Hardware-accelerated GPU

Have tried to add my GPU as the preferred graphics processor in the Nvidia setting, but it's greyed out. I believe that's the main issue. All programs run by the dedicated GPU now, but not the Cyberlink family. Still shows as integrated GPU is used. No idea why. It's disabled.

Power Director reinstalled a couple of times, registry cleared so fresh installation.

I'm running out of options.

AFAIK, the color tuning, video speed, and the most of tools in Fix Enhance are CPU intensive in powerdirector. It has nothing to do with whether you use the GPU accleration option or not.

The editing performance will be largely improved if you installed a high end CPU.
[Post New]
Quote Hello,
Have tried to add my GPU as the preferred graphics processor in the Nvidia setting, but it's greyed out. I believe that's the main issue.

That's beause you have a laptop with an integrated video card and without a dedicated video mux. The Intel encoder is used because nvidia has to pass-trough the intel video.
There are portable workstations, that have a hardware video mux, but they are usually more expensive.
The 3D settings you adjust applu only to the 3D cores, not to the nvenc portion of the nvidia GPU. That portion is used for conversion to h264/h265 video.
3D cores are used very seldom by the PD, only in some effects, marked as such (GPU).

PS: It's a well known issue and other video encoder programs suffer from it too.