CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
BAD software and even worse customer service?
Brian [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Jun 16, 2010 13:56 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I got their software free when I purchased an LG blu-ray burner. I got less than I paid for. They publish an email support address which bounces:
service@cyberlink.com.tw (after RCPT TO): 550 #5.1.0 Address rejected service@cyberlink.com.tw
Their telephone system is an infinite loop. Dial zero for operator. Then go to bla, bla, bla (unintelligible drivel) web site for service. Repeat.

They are undoubtedly overloaded by irate customers.

I paid for a burner and power backup refuses to accept a brand new verbatim 25 GB BD-R disc. I always get an error message asking me to please insert a blank disc. I could have saved $$ if I just wanted a blu-ray reader which is what I have.

I downloaded the newest version from their web site and it is a trial which is ticking down. It does not work either. I do have the latest bios direct from LG.

I need a working version promptly or I demand $39.95 in cash so I can buy software which actually works.

A very unhappy customer,
BrianP
kayakmedic [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Nov 02, 2012 17:40 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I paid for PowerDirector 10 worked. It so so then just quit and I can get NO support! Don't waste your money They will not help when needed!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 5913 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I paid for PowerDirector 10 worked. It so so then just quit and I can get NO support! Don't waste your money They will not help when needed!

kayakmedic,
welcome to the volunteer forum, I see you posted this item a few months ago.
You mention POWERDIRECTOR 10, if that is the program you are having problems with it would be best to go to THAT forum "room", and maybe we can help, please read the forum stickies at the head of that "room", some information is required to better help you.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/forums/show/99.page
The above link is to the PD10 forum. Good luck. My website http://bgillcyberstudio.com/index.html LINKS TO PDTOOTS & hundreds of other valuable resources!
HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)/Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/7,200rpm/w10x64---
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus EPL-5
rickycht [Avatar]
Member Private Message Joined: Dec 03, 2012 07:33 Messages: 56 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry to see this Brian. I wish that the experience could have been different for you. Any luck if you were able to fixed the issue?
[Post New]
What bothers me is that the first time I ever had a problem I didn't get effective help and they didn't seem to care. I had to figure things out for myself and it's a shame since the cost of their program is rather expensive. The irony is that I already had cyberlink installed on my computer when I bought it and I had to buy power dvd in order to play any blu ray dvds which were playing when I first bought my computer. Then I had to more trouble and no help. This time someone emailed me back and was polite but again there was no effective help. I didn't respond back in 2 days because I was ill and my case was dropped. So here I am resubmitting my problem and ....I mean.....I even upgraded to power dvd 13 and nothing changed.

The irony is that I see they are offering phone help for an additional fee of around $30. *face palm* Honestly.... ridiculous.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 5913 Offline
[Post New]
Colleen,
welcome to the volunteer forum.
I see you have never been here, and have posted your first message. If you have an issue, please go to that forum "room" and seek help by...
1) asking a clear question
2) provide any information requested by other members.
This is very good software, and any issues can usually be attributed to corrupt installations, or inadequate computing power/setup. We can help, and get you going using your Cyberlink software. We actually have a good time here. My website http://bgillcyberstudio.com/index.html LINKS TO PDTOOTS & hundreds of other valuable resources!
HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)/Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/7,200rpm/w10x64---
Rich_On_The_River [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Location: St. Johns River, FL Joined: Jul 05, 2011 19:06 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
I posted on the PowerDVD 11 section before I realized there was a blu ray disk section. I have PowerDVD 11 Ultra and a new laptop. After installing the program I tried to play a blu ray movie but got the message "No disk in drive E:". I contacted Tech Support but their solution did not resolve the problem. Then, after numerous uninstalls and reinstalls the program started to read the disk but stopped saying my graphics card driver was not compatible. The computer has a new Haswell 4800MQ processor with integrated graphics AND a dedicated Nvidia GTX 770M graphics card with the latest drivers. Now I've had to uninstall and reinstall the program again and I'm back to the same "No disk....." problem. Anybody else have this issue on this forum?

Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
35 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
777 time(s)
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Rich,
this thread is a bit old, and does not really represent an issue that can be nailed down. I suggest you think up a good title for a new thread in the PowerDVD forum. Include your Dx again. My website http://bgillcyberstudio.com/index.html LINKS TO PDTOOTS & hundreds of other valuable resources!
Rich_On_The_River [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Location: St. Johns River, FL Joined: Jul 05, 2011 19:06 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply. I've already posted in the Power DVD forum so I'll just wait for something there. This one just seemed like it was more directed to Blu ray issues.

Thanks again. Oh, and my title was "No disk in drive e".
Kinda states the problem right up front, eh?
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Both forums are probably good choices, but the thread you chose here does not really point to a particular issue that someone might see and take an interest in, eh. My website http://bgillcyberstudio.com/index.html LINKS TO PDTOOTS & hundreds of other valuable resources!
DORON [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Feb 21, 2016 12:58 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am presently experiencing problems with Power DVD 15 ULTRA. The cinema mode option once chosen by me brings the entire product to a Crash Down.
I then have to re-load PowerDvD 15 Ultra.
Having written to their technical service department they are terribly slow to respond. in 5 days i have Not received an answer from them.
Having alarmingly read the posts above I now see that I am not the only person / customer on the very shaky boat of cyberlink with product issues Not being properly addressed, or should I say, IGNORED.

Heather Ceana [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Jan 08, 2018 16:17 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Barry,

I see you feel that users can solve problems that customer service refuse to. I will frankly never buy from this company again. I had PowerDVD 10. The region code locked-up. I bought PowerDVD 17. As soon as I installed it, it said I had 1 try to change the region code. I chose region code 2, then clicked OK. I got an incompatibility error message, although my disc is region 2. I looked in the settings, and no region is set; also it says I have 5 tries. Reality says I have none. I even cleaned all references out of the registry to both products, then re-installed v. 17. Same result.

I filed a trouble ticket, with text stating the above, and screen shots you see below. I got no response at all, until I gave them a bad rating on a site. Then, I received text telling me how to change the region code. Anyone who had read my ticket and/or looked at the screen shots would know that I know how to change the region code.

So, I am still stuck with a useless product, because customer service at CyberLink is atrocious. I doubt any users in the forum can help fix that problem. I expect, though, that you will get on here and tell me to post my question in another spot, as if that would help.

CyberLink needs to hire English speaking customer service reps, rather than trained chimps, who copy and paste text based on a subject that was clearly not read properly. I will be continuing to give this company the worst possible ratings anywhere I can, until I have a product I can actually use, or until the end of this week, when I will demand a full refund for defective goods and a lack of customer service to help fix those goods.
 Filename
PDVD17RegionCodePopup.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
155 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
 Filename
PDVD17Blu-ray Settings.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
133 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
 Filename
PDVD17RegionCodeErrorDetail.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
153 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Quote Hi Barry,

I see you feel that users can solve problems that customer service refuse to. I will frankly never buy from this company again. ... I will be continuing to give this company the worst possible ratings anywhere I can, until I have a product I can actually use, or until the end of this week, when I will demand a full refund for defective goods and a lack of customer service to help fix those goods.
Sometimes things go wacky, no doubt. Maybe best to ask for your refund right now, don't wait. My website http://bgillcyberstudio.com/index.html LINKS TO PDTOOTS & hundreds of other valuable resources!
[Post New]

I had PowerDVD 10. The region code locked-up. I bought PowerDVD 17. As soon as I installed it, it said I had 1 try to change the region code. I chose region code 2, then clicked OK. I got an incompatibility error message, although my disc is region 2. I looked in the settings, and no region is set; also it says I have 5 tries. Reality says I have none. I even cleaned all references out of the registry to both products, then re-installed v. 17. Same result.

Then, I received text telling me how to change the region code. Anyone who had read my ticket and/or looked at the screen shots would know that I know how to change the region code.

Hi Heather,

First off, you didn't need to buy PowerDVD 17. The region codes for DVD are handled by Windows and drive firmware. So a new version of PowerDVD would yeild the same results. All PowerDVD does is check that the disc matches the DVD drives set region, and lets you change it using the Windows function. If you right click on the disc drive icon in Windows explorer select Properties > Hardware, you will get the same mesage.

Because you changed the region code too many times, it can't be changed anymore. This is what you are being told, by Windows, not by PowerDVD.

Well, you don't know how to change it because you went into the Blu-ray Disc settings to change the DVD region code. They are not the same, even if you have a Blu-ray drive. DVD region code is counted by the disc drive firmware. BD region is counted by the software player. The 5 changes remaining you see is for the Blu-ray region.

Dave

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 09. 2018 03:33

Heather Ceana [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Jan 08, 2018 16:17 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Barry,

I see you feel that users can solve problems that customer service refuse to. I will frankly never buy from this company again. ... I will be continuing to give this company the worst possible ratings anywhere I can, until I have a product I can actually use, or until the end of this week, when I will demand a full refund for defective goods and a lack of customer service to help fix those goods.
Sometimes things go wacky, no doubt. Maybe best to ask for your refund right now, don't wait.

Hi Barry,

I have. The answer I got twice was how to change the region code. This is some sort of bug in the product that should be explored. I work in software development.

The first step should have been to thoroughly read through my trouble ticket. The second step is to ask me for information about my system, which they did after I had written them THREE times to complain. Now, however, they have caused me so much stress in the new year, that I no longer have any desire to attempt to work with them to correct the problem in their software.

There are plenty of other products out there with the base functionality that I need: playing a DVD.

Best Wishes,

Heather Ceana
[Post New]

Hi Barry,

I have. The answer I got twice was how to change the region code. This is some sort of bug in the product that should be explored. I work in software development.

The first step should have been to thoroughly read through my trouble ticket. The second step is to ask me for information about my system, which they did after I had written them THREE times to complain. Now, however, they have caused me so much stress in the new year, that I no longer have any desire to attempt to work with them to correct the problem in their software.

There are plenty of other products out there with the base functionality that I need: playing a DVD.

Best Wishes,

Heather Ceana

Heather,
I see you ignored my reply, which should tell us all something here. Yes, there is no excuse for CyberLink not responding to your ticket right away.

However, this is not a software issue. It is a user issue. As I said, DVD region codes are handled by Windows and the drive, not by the software (PowerDVD). You changed it too many times, so now you can only play DVDs from region 1.

This is NOT a bug, but the way DVD copyright protection was implemented into Windows and optical device manufacturers. Google it.

I am sure that CyberLink's customer service told you this in their delayed reply. You choosing to ignore it and refusing to accept that the problem was caused by you isn't going to solve anything or relieve your stress. I know it is easier to blame someone else, but you are the cause of this, not the software.

Contact the drive manufacturer, but I believe after changing the DVD region too many times, the only way to fix it is to purchase a new drive.

Dave