Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
External ssd drive not available as a removeable disk for AVCHD production.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I have been creating BD and AVCHD folders successfully on two different external ssd drives. Last night PD17 was not responsive in creating a BD folder consisting of 4 separate projects with subtitles at 1080/60p at a bitrate of about 8 Mbps.I tried to cancel it and choose to close it as waiting did not help. Today I try to create the same but each as separate projects at 1080/60p on the same SanDisk removable drive.. The Final output window shows no drive. I plugged in a different external ssd in a different usb port to create the folder successfully.

Found the Drive E does not work now as a removable disc for any AVCHD folder creation on PD17 or PD365. Tried 3 different external ssd drives, Did a system restore to Oct 28, 2022, the day I installed kb5018496 which gave my pc tabs in file explorer. Now I get no tabs in file explorer but I am able to use 2 different external ssd as Drive E but not the SanDisk. I went ahead and undo the system restore as I want the tab browsing in file explorer and can do workarounds to use the 2 other external ssd. I believe that the unsuccessful BD folder creation set a flag in the registry that does not allow the AVCHD folder creation with that SanDisk External ssd Extreme drive.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it. Will write a support ticket if needed.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
What "Type:" does the windows “Properties” show when you have a non-working E: SanDisk for PD? One possibility from your description that it's not seen as a removable disk so it's not available to PD for AVCHD kind of indicates the RMB (Removable Media Bit) for the device got reset so Windows/PD sees it as an internal drive.

Jeff
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Please see the attached screenshot.
1. AVCHD Removable Disk option selected for 1080/60p.
2. Final Output window show no current drive available so Create a folder is not available.
3. Chkdsk command show no problems with Drive E:
4. SanDisk Extreme SSD Properties is a Local Disk.
5. The Extreme SSD can be ejected like an external drive.

The #5 does not mean much to me as in my Win 7 pc, both the internal ssd drive c and the internal BD writer can be ejected too. I do not know how to determine if Drive E: went from an external drive to become an internal one. Hope that you can help here. I am running Win 11 Pro on this pc. Thanks.
[Thumb - SanDisk Extreme SSD Properties.jpg]
 Filename
SanDisk Extreme SSD Properties.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
This external ssd cannot be used now as a removable disk
 Filesize
368 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
32 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Your line 4 is the issue in my opinion, Windows showing "Local Disk" so PD will not see it as external for AVCHD Removable Disk. Check your external drives that work, they will not be seen as a "Local Disk" by Windows. As such, I don't believe a PD issue, Windows/device issue, maybe seek guidance on a Windows forum.

Jeff
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
I think that you are right about this now. See my response to a user with optical drive problem here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/97790.page#post_box_403617 . I had a lot of problems with this pc with oem drivers 3 years ago. I recently installed a fresh copy of Windows 11 pro which installed Windows drivers and everything seemed to work properly from the start. The customer reviews on this Sandisk drive are about 50% negative, 50% positive. Since it is intermittent and must be on a usb 2.0 port to sometimes work on my pc back then, I believe the programmers are not able to write the firmware and drivers properly. Now on windows drivers on my new boot drive installation, it works well on a usb 3.1 port as a local disk. You win some. You lose some.

Since I am satisfied with the performance so far on this pc after replacing the boot drive, I will use the other brands of external SSD as the removable disks for PD. They show up as USB Drive and not Local Disk in their Properties and can be used as removable drives in PD AVCHD folder creation.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just tried the SanDisk on my Win 7 pc. It shows up as a Local Disk and the other external SSD shows up as Removable Disk. Only the one that shows up as a removable disk can be used for that AVCHD folder creation. To me it is not a Windows problem but a SanDisk problem as it does not work for 50% of the people that posted a review.
Your assessment was spot-on.

Thank you,
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Just tried the SanDisk on my Win 7 pc. It shows up as a Local Disk and the other external SSD shows up as Removable Disk. Only the one that shows up as a removable disk can be used for that AVCHD folder creation. To me it is not a Windows problem but a SanDisk problem as it does not work for 50% of the people that posted a review.
Your assessment was spot-on.

Thank you,

I wrote a Windows/device issue. The RMB I had mentioned in first post that defines this local/removable device to Windows is typically in the firmware of the device. I've used Windows software to flip this bit in firmware of flashdrives but it is not without significant risk and not a 100% workable avenue and I've never attempted on a SSD. I'm not sure if SanDisk provides a tool for their drives, it would probably be a technician level support based tool.

Regardless, not a PD issue and not PD related as PD simply uses Windows device "Type" to identify appropriate devices to meet AVCHD specifications.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 02. 2022 08:48