Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
GOPRO 10/11 and higher resolution cameras.
Jimmy202 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 14, 2021 10:18 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All - I have the gopro 11 and it shoots at 5.3k, Bit Rate 120000KBS and 8 or 10 bit colour.

When I go to produce (just testing with 2 small clip) there is no native support in PD for 5.3k.

The profile analyser just comes up with "no best profile available for current project"

The Intelligent SVRT tab finds and matches the properties as 5.3k and the correct resolution and bitrate and names it custom profile 1 but it is red and not selectable.

I can select the best 4k rate and alter both the bit rate and frame rate but NOT the resolution.

Does anyone know of a way for PD to recognise 5.3k and bit rate natively with the analyser or do I need to mess with ini file or anything else?

It's for youtube videos so I figure the higher resolution I upload at once youtube algorithm squishes it a bit it will still be quite high qulaity?

Any ideas anyone...even how do I alter ini file and does it make a difference?

Surely with the advent of more and more cameras shooting above 4k then this should be a native format (or the ability to make a format) direcct from the GUI (even though folks only have mostly 4k max viewing devices on my PC I can see a noticible difference in quality 4k to 5.3k)

Many Thanks all..
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi All - I have the gopro 11 and it shoots at 5.3k, Bit Rate 120000KBS and 8 or 10 bit colour.

When I go to produce (just testing with 2 small clip) there is no native support in PD for 5.3k.

The profile analyser just comes up with "no best profile available for current project"

The Intelligent SVRT tab finds and matches the properties as 5.3k and the correct resolution and bitrate and names it custom profile 1 but it is red and not selectable.

I can select the best 4k rate and alter both the bit rate and frame rate but NOT the resolution.

Does anyone know of a way for PD to recognise 5.3k and bit rate natively with the analyser or do I need to mess with ini file or anything else?

It's for youtube videos so I figure the higher resolution I upload at once youtube algorithm squishes it a bit it will still be quite high qulaity?

Any ideas anyone...even how do I alter ini file and does it make a difference?

Surely with the advent of more and more cameras shooting above 4k then this should be a native format (or the ability to make a format) direcct from the GUI (even though folks only have mostly 4k max viewing devices on my PC I can see a noticible difference in quality 4k to 5.3k)

Many Thanks all..

Hi,

There isn't a way currently for PDR to "natively" work with over 4k seamlessly.

There was a recent long and involved discussion here
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/97483.page#post_box_392139

but you might like to just look at these posts
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/97483.page#post_box_392304
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/97483.page#post_box_392152

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
Jimmy202 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks! I can get it to work with the 5.1k ini file but as soon as I change 2 values - Width and Height from 5100, 2700 to 5312, 2988 (5.3k) it only renders sound...is this a limitation of the software or am I doing something wrong?

I know it's nothing of your fault but cyberlink will be losing a lot of gopro 10/11 (me included) and other cameras that can shoot 5k and above - I know you need appropriate hardware to render but higher end PC's and lower priced powerfull GPU's are becoming more common and unless the whole powerdirecctor engine would need a re-write then surely it would only be a few lines of code to be able to make a custom profile with your own values?

Thanks Again
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jimmy202 -

I can get it to work with the 5.1k ini file but as soon as I change 2 values - Width and Height from 5100, 2700 to 5312, 2988 (5.3k) it only renders sound...is this a limitation of the software or am I doing something wrong?

Help! That's all I got too! My profile editing ability appears to have gone down the drain frown

I used a 5.3K clip from GoPro 11 & matched the properties as closely as I could, using the same tried & tested procedure, and this is the result... an audio only file.

Maybe someone can point me at my error, 'cos I can't see it.

Media info from the GoPro clip & profile details are attached.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
GX010029.MP4.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
6 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
129 time(s)
 Filename
GoPro 5.3K Profile.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
883 bytes
 Downloaded:
125 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Post removed - posted itself twice after "network error".

Filename
GoPro 5.3K Profile.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
883 bytes
 Downloaded:
62 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 26. 2022 14:48

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Just a guess but maybe it's the 10-bit color that's causing the issue. Try recording a short clip in 8-bit and see if the profile works with that format.

It would also help to have a sample clip to work with as I didn't see any downloadable GoPro11 sample clips after a quick search. Use the Attachments button or upload it to Google Drive OneDrive and share a link here. See this FAQ for more details.
Jimmy202 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Jimmy202 -

I can get it to work with the 5.1k ini file but as soon as I change 2 values - Width and Height from 5100, 2700 to 5312, 2988 (5.3k) it only renders sound...is this a limitation of the software or am I doing something wrong?

Help! That's all I got too! My profile editing ability appears to have gone down the drain frown

I used a 5.3K clip from GoPro 11 & matched the properties as closely as I could, using the same tried & tested procedure, and this is the result... an audio only file.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks for confirming this Tony!
Jimmy202 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Jimmy202 -

Cheers - Tony

Thanks for confirming this Tony (I am getting random Tomcat double post errors with the forum too!)
Jimmy202 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Just a guess but maybe it's the 10-bit color that's causing the issue. Try recording a short clip in 8-bit and see if the profile works with that format.

It would also help to have a sample clip to work with as I didn't see any downloadable GoPro11 sample clips after a quick search. Use the Attachments button or upload it to Google Drive OneDrive and share a link here. See this FAQ for more details.

Thanks for this - I will shoot an 8 bit colour and test tommorow and upload both an 8 and 10 bit colour clip.

Thanks Again!
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi optodata -

That was the issue (10-bit colour)!

After I ran the clip through Handbrake (8-bit) & imported the converted clip into PDR, it happily produced a 5.3K video (with pictures!).

For reference, you can download the sample I used here.

Cheers - Tony
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi optodata -

That was the issue (10-bit colour)!

After I ran the clip through Handbrake (8-bit) & imported the converted clip into PDR, it happily produced a 5.3K video (with pictures!).

For reference, you can download the sample I used here.

Cheers - Tony

I'm guessing something other driving the issue, probably hardware. Your 10-bit color source sample clip and your profile work fine for me. Output is of course 8-bit color as PD does not output 10-bit.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD21_5312_profile.png]
 Filename
PD21_5312_profile.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1192 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
12 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the sample clip Tony

I wonder if it's a PD365 vs PD21 issue since JL_JL has the latter. I have the latest 365 version (21.0.2214.0 released yesterday), and when I produce using NVENC there's nothing showing on the progress bar, then after about 20 seconds PD says it's finished. The resulting file (attached) is just 3.1MB in size and only contains 384 kb/s AAC audio.

However, if I turn off hardware decoding, close and restart PD and then produce without the Fast video rendering technology box checked, the progress bar works normally and after 4:51 on my 16-core CPU I get a valid 5.3K video very similar to JL_JL's:

I did these tests with the latest nVidia Game Ready driver (522.25) on my RTX2070. Now I'm downloading and installing a new Studio Driver version (522.30) and will post back with the results.

BTW I also tried on PD17 with the current nVidia driver. It produced a usable clip in only 1:01 using NVENC, so it seems like the issue might be specific to PD365.

UPDATE: No change in PD365 with the new studio driver.
 Filename
Produce.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
audio-only output
 Filesize
3184 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
61 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 26. 2022 22:43

Jimmy202 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the sample clip Tony

I wonder if it's a PD365 vs PD21 issue since JL_JL has the latter. I have the latest 365 version (21.0.2214.0 released yesterday), and when I produce using NVENC there's nothing showing on the progress bar, then after about 20 seconds PD says it's finished. The resulting file (attached) is just 3.1MB in size and only contains 384 kb/s AAC audio.

However, if I turn off hardware decoding, close and restart PD and then produce without the Fast video rendering technology box checked, the progress bar works normally and after 4:51 on my 16-core CPU I get a valid 5.3K video very similar to JL_JL's:

I did these tests with the latest nVidia Game Ready driver (522.25) on my RTX2070. Now I'm downloading and installing a new Studio Driver version (522.30) and will post back with the results.

BTW I also tried on PD17 with the current nVidia driver. It produced a usable clip in only 1:01 using NVENC, so it seems like the issue might be specific to PD365.

UPDATE: No change in PD365 with the new studio driver.

Hi all - what is the upshot of all this - should I just dial the gopro back to 8bit shooting (which gives less scope for colour grading) and turn of fast rendering?

Thanks to everyone for the help!
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Hi all - what is the upshot of all this - should I just dial the gopro back to 8bit shooting (which gives less scope for colour grading) and turn of fast rendering?

Your choice. There's clearly an issue here and Cyberlink tech support should be informed so they can look into it. I will fill out a support request and provide updates when I hear back.

The ticket number is CS002565761

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 27. 2022 12:25

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

Hi all - what is the upshot of all this - should I just dial the gopro back to 8bit shooting (which gives less scope for colour grading) and turn of fast rendering?

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Hi,

Little late to the party but the forum was playing up for me yesterday so couldn't post.

Running PDR365 Business 2214 updated today. Prior 2121 showed similar results to Tony and optodata - leading me to think 10bit color was the issue. Especially as an 8bit color version was produced fine.

Interestingly, if the 8bit version was followed by the 10bit version on the same timeline, production of both clips was successful.

In summary, after some more testing today, with no Hardware decoding, NVIDIA NVENC selected, production was repeatedly successful.

We'll see what CL have to say!

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
Jimmy202 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Your choice. There's clearly an issue here and Cyberlink tech support should be informed so they can look into it. I will fill out a support request and provide updates when I hear back.

The ticket number is CS002565761

Thanks Opto and everyone for your time and insight.

Jimmy
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi all -

I've delayed posting on this because I've been getting inconsistent results & I hadn't been able to pin down the cause. I've changed course with my testing based on what optodata, Jeff & PowerDirector Moderator have suggested.

Testing included using a number of different PCs & applying the same process to both PDR21 & PDR365, none of which turned out to be relevant.

At one stage I shot some 5.3K clips on my GoPro10 (which doesn't have a 10-bit colour option) & repeated the procedure with with those. Not a single issue using any hardware settings. The clips were HEVC, 5312 x 2988, 59.94fps, 99.8Mbps & all of that was evident in the custom profile (just as had been done with the GoPro11 sample clip).

I'd love to be able to post that Jeff's suggestion that the issue may be hardware related, PDM's reference to hardware settings & optodata's observations have led me to (now) being able to consistently produce a properly rendered 5.3K file in PDR using the profile I posted earlier... but I'm still getting inconsistent results.

e.g. Just now, I've produced a correct 5.3K file using the same hardware settings (& same everything else) I used yesterday that rendered an audio-only file. surprised

It makes about as much sense to me as PDM's observation that "if the 8bit version was followed by the 10bit version on the same timeline, production of both clips was successful."

Cheers - Tony
Jimmy202 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi all -

I've delayed posting on this because I've been getting inconsistent results & I hadn't been able to pin down the cause. I've changed course with my testing based on what optodata, Jeff & PowerDirector Moderator have suggested.

Testing included using a number of different PCs & applying the same process to both PDR21 & PDR365, none of which turned out to be relevant.

At one stage I shot some 5.3K clips on my GoPro10 (which doesn't have a 10-bit colour option) & repeated the procedure with with those. Not a single issue using any hardware settings. The clips were HEVC, 5312 x 2988, 59.94fps, 99.8Mbps & all of that was evident in the custom profile (just as had been done with the GoPro11 sample clip).

I'd love to be able to post that Jeff's suggestion that the issue may be hardware related, PDM's reference to hardware settings & optodata's observations have led me to (now) being able to consistently produce a properly rendered 5.3K file in PDR using the profile I posted earlier... but I'm still getting inconsistent results.

e.g. Just now, I've produced a correct 5.3K file using the same hardware settings (& same everything else) I used yesterday that rendered an audio-only file. surprised

It makes about as much sense to me as PDM's observation that "if the 8bit version was followed by the 10bit version on the same timeline, production of both clips was successful."

Cheers - Tony

Thanks for all your time on this Tony - near impossible to track the issue if it dosent' work one day but works the next with no settings changed - some other process on the PC maybe getting involved - was the one that worked from a clean boot of PC?

Anyways I have about 6 months sub left with 365 so will see what Cyberlink come up with by then...sure they must be working behind the scenes to support higher resolutions.

Thanks All - great forum...
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Anyways I have about 6 months sub left with 365 so will see what Cyberlink come up with by then...sure they must be working behind the scenes to support higher resolutions.

It's been a PD shortfall for years with forum workarounds discussed with profile.ini editing for at least the last 7+ years for higher resolution output. If the next 6 months brings some change, it would be purely coincidental. However, if you need some new Thanksgiving stickers, music, fonts, you can probably look forward to the Nov update.

Jeff
optodata
[Post New]
CL tech support has responded and they've taken the easy way out, basically saying that resolutions above 4K are not supported so we're on our own:

"With reference to your query, as for the current program design, PowerDirector does not support exporting 5.3k resolution video. Manually alter or change PowerDirector's program file or component might have unknown problems while video editing or encoding.

It is suggested not to rewrite or alter the PowerDirector program files to forcefully make PowerDirector produce videos in the not supported resolution.

For your concern, we have escalated the suggestion to support producing 5K/5.3 video resolution to our product team as a feature development reference."