Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video Track vs Preview
Kabish [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 10, 2010 23:40 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I just started to use PowerDirector 8 and I'm loving it, still a complete n00b, but loving it.

Tonight when I was reviewing some video (shot on the flip ultra HD) the video look VERY nice and sharp. Detailed to the last pixle. When I drag it down into the video track (story board) the detail goes to complete junk. Very fuzzy and a very large loss of detail.

Is this normal??? Is there a way for me to preserve the quality I see when I do just a preview before dragging it into the story board?
Kabish [Avatar]
[Post New]
Looking at the properties of both the video and the one in the story board are exactly the same. 8.99Mbps Bitrate, 1280x720 30FPS and in 16:9
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Please give yourself a user name, or the post will be locked by the Moderator until such time as you do

Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 11. 2010 00:04

Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
Kabish [Avatar]
[Post New]
My apologizes
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kabish,

The quality displayed is reduced to save processing power, you can change the quality by clicking on Take a snapshot/Select preview quality and selecting High Preview Resolution.

If you select Preview in the Media Viewer, this will display the correct resolution of your project.

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kabish - and Robert

After following Robert's suggestion, it would be worth going to Director's Chair > Edit > Preferences (Alt+C) > General and unchecking "Enable file processing to speed up HD video editing".

That depends a bit on what format/profile the clips from your camera are and how good your PC is.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Kabish [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you very much!!

Lots of good stuff in your community, hopefully one day I'll be able to give back some knowledge
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kabish,

I encourage ALL new members to have a go at answering a post or two. It is the best way to learn and to see if you can find a solution. The way a post/problem is presented helps and you'll see why members list actions and solutions. Have a go, have fun and enjoy editing. I look forward to your first attempts at answering and learning

An aside. The preview display quality is generally governed by two factors.
1. the setting selected
2. The capability/size of your graphics card.

The latter of these really does affect the display in the highest setting. Improving the size of your graphics card greatly increases the quality of the video previewed, especially HD. The benefit of a better graphic card also assists with the running of the program.

For "spec checking" please look up:
Have you seen this, please add your spec?
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8445.page
Please add your camera spec here:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8727.page
Thanks

Tony gave you an instruction to follow. Here's an image guide:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/9621.page#41702

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 11. 2010 09:02

[Post New]
Hey Dafydd;
How about making a STICKY post that answers the top ten MOST ASKED questions with using Powerdirector 8. So many people are having the same problems as new users (like the video preview setting and shadow files)???
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Like this one Fred?
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/9621.page

Dafydd
[Moderator]
[Post New]
Yep...but add the link to THIS post:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7979.page
Cedric [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 02, 2010 15:10 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
I have a similar issue. I copied a file that has text and photos. When viewing from the media room, it looks perfect but when viewing from the video track or story board it looks bad.

My question is when I burn it to the DVD, will it have the clarity that I see in the media room? If so, I am ok with it looking inferior on the video track (due to a lower grade video card).
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Cedric -

If your video card is a lower grade one, what you see on the preview screen will reflect that.

Whatever quality of video card you use, the quality of the preview screen will never be as good as the final produced file... it's a preview!

Have you disabled ShadowEdit files? Director's Chair > Edit > Preferences (Alt+C) > General and unchecking "Enable file processing to speed up HD video editing"

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Cedric [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 02, 2010 15:10 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks, Tony, for the feedback.

I have disabled the shadow files. There is still a distinct difference between the clarity of a image viewed from the media room vs. the video track on the same monitor.

At first, I though it was the quality of the images, so I rescanned the files at a very high resolution but the results were the same.

My quess is that the final product will have the same clarity as in the media room. My project is a 8.5g video and I wanted to make sure it was okay before the burn. I will burn to disk and see what it looks like.

Thanks for your help!