Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to embed tags to the photo
essaytee [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 03, 2018 04:03 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, I'm new to PhotoDirector. When I tag photos what I have noticed is that the tags are not embedded in the photo jpeg file. How do I embed tags into the image file as well? I'm only talking about jpegs not raw files.

Steve.
[Post New]
Hello Steve,

I have noticed is that the tags are not embedded in the photo jpeg file

Tags aren't "embedded" in the photo until it's exported from PhotoDirector.

Can you report how you noticed that? Have you checked by selecting the exported photo & right clicking to select Properties > Details - Tags?

Here are the basic steps for adding tags to photos:

""

PIX PIX YouTube channel
essaytee [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello Steve,

Tags aren't "embedded" in the photo until it's exported from PhotoDirector.

Can you report how you noticed that? Have you checked by selecting the exported photo & right clicking to select Properties > Details - Tags?

PIX

I was hoping for an option to automatically add the tags to the actual photos. I noticed by checking the photo properties outside of PHd.

So, to embed tags to photos means exporting, therefore duplicating each and every photo. How do you suggest manageing those photos?
[Post New]
Hello Steve,

To avoid duplicating photos, if that's a concern, you can simply export from PhotoDirector to the same folder using the original file name, making sure you select "Overwrite" in the final dialog.

Aside from that possibility, you can edit metadata/EXIFdata in Windows by right clicking & secting Properties > Details. Add your tags, then click Apply.

""

There are also plenty of tools (free) available to add/edit EXIF data. ExifToolGUI, found of that page, would be my pick but it's no longer supported with updates.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote So, to embed tags to photos means exporting, therefore duplicating each and every photo. How do you suggest manageing those photos?

It's best to think of PhD as an app for creating new content from existing images - including editing/revising and saving new copies of them - rather than as an image management tool.

I think the many utilities (and the Windows metadata editing method) that PIX has mentioned are better suited for that task.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
captionsaz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 17, 2020 13:15 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
for embed tags into phots, read the entire detail https://bit.ly/366g9Ke

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 17. 2020 17:11

[Post New]
Hello again Steve,

As has been pointed out, Windows itself allows tagging of photos (& other documents).

1. Open a folder containing photos

2. Click on the View tab

3. Select Details pane

4. Select a photo & add/edit tags

5. Click Save - done!

PIX PIX YouTube channel
essaytee [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks everyone for replying. I am aware how to add tags in Windows directly (outside of PhD), but I thought it would be something that would be seamlessly incorporated into PhD.

By seamlessly incorporated I mean by whatever tags are added in PhD, then have an option to automatically add those tags directly to the images, as the images are the source documents.

Steve
raven-au [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 03, 2011 22:15 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks everyone for replying. I am aware how to add tags in Windows directly (outside of PhD), but I thought it would be something that would be seamlessly incorporated into PhD.

By seamlessly incorporated I mean by whatever tags are added in PhD, then have an option to automatically add those tags directly to the images, as the images are the source documents.

Steve

I think the key here is that PhD is a non-distructive photo editor so that originals always stay as the original imported into it.

Then edits can be made, virtual images with more sophisticated changes, etc ... and any other changes, then the edited image exported to save those changes to a permanent photo leaving the original untouched.

Doing anything to the image, and I know tagging may not quite fall into that category, doesn't change the original so it isn't degraded with multipe edits.

That's particularly important if you use RAW format for photos out of your camera.

Ian