Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
1080p/24 support?
Erik [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 03, 2010 07:58 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I was wondering if there is any softwere out there, that can play Blu ray as it should, namely at 24p?

Does power dvd finally have the 24p support?

thx!
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Erik,

sorry but I do not get your point - just need to configure your display (in the GFX driver config page) to use HDMI and 24Hz.....

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Erik [Avatar]
[Post New]
hi, okay let me explain.

I hope you do know that Blu Ray movies are normally played at 1080p/24 right?

24fps.

This is the original way to play a blu ray disc.

If a television or a player has to do a pull down, than the original 24p is ruined and you get judder.

Now televisions and most blu ray players have a 24p support, they can play and show a blu ray movie in its 24p rate.

For instance a 120mhz display (24 * 5).

On a pc, you will have to have software that sends out the signal at 24hz or a multipliable number of that, 24hz or 48hz or 92 hz or 120 hz.
You can adjust a modern day videocard to do that.
But you also have to have a screen that can show at that rate/frequency.
Recently there are some pc monitors that can display 120hz.

So in terms of hardware everything can be set to play a Blu Ray movie as it is intended.

When you can set your GPU to 24 hz (or 24 times...) it does not matter what your software is.

But I am waiting and searching for software that automatically sends of the frequency to a 24hz compatible rate.
WITHOUT tempering with the GPU settings....
Because, nowadays, most software still send out a 60hz frequency and you will have judder.

So I am not quite sure if the latest power dvd software has 1080p/24 capability.

I hope you can answer my question now?

Its not hard, if you just google 24p or 1080p/24 you would know it.

I am actually quite surprised you dont have a clue what I am talking about to be honest....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 03. 2010 09:53

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

PowerDVD transmits the 1080/24p (original and unmodified) Videostream to the Gfx- the GFX is repsonsible to transfer the picture to the display in the chosen frame rate. set in the configuration of the Video adaptor

So the issue you refer to is not a issue of the Software but an issue of refresh rate setting.

So if you use 24Hz there is no judder issue - if you use 60Hz there is no way to prevent judder because the oroginal frame rate (23,97Hz) and 60Hz of the display are not a common multiple.

"But I am waiting and searching for software that automatically sends of the frequency to a 24hz compatible rate. "

as PDVD is sending 24p to the VGA it is compatible to 24Hz - but this will not help if your display is not using a common multiple of 24Hz as refresh rate.
Or do you ask for an setting to automatically changing the Graphics adaptor output frequency to 24Hz orn an multiple of that?

Br
Michael

Br
Michael

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Erik [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
as PDVD is sending 24p to the VGA it is compatible to 24Hz - but this will not help if your display is not using a common multiple of 24Hz as refresh rate.
Or do you ask for an setting to automatically changing the Graphics adaptor output frequency to 24Hz orn an multiple of that?

Yes, that is my question, does the PDVD software automatically output a 24hz frequency or a multiple of that?
So indeed, my question is (in the situation you have a 120 hz screen that can receive a 24hz frequency without judder), can you play a BR in 24p mode without manually adjusting your graphics card?

Just stick a BD in your BD Drive, let the program set all the setting automatically to 24hz (or a multiple of that) to you screen that is 120hz, and enjoy the BR in 24p.

Is this possible? or does the gfx card still need manual adjustment settings of the viewer?

I have also found a topic about a man looking his blu rays with PDVD.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-pcs-laptops-drives-media-software/143341-powerdvd-9-ultra-disable-1080p24-while-viewing-dvds.html

And in his first post, you can see he looks his BD in 1080p/24 automatically, without any manual adjustment
(but he has problems watching normal DVD's in 60hz because now everything is in 24hz and he cannot seem to stop the 24hz output :p, but thats not the question)

but in the last post (besides mine) he says there is no software that can output a native 1080p/24
http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-pcs-laptops-drives-media-software/143341-powerdvd-9-ultra-disable-1080p24-while-viewing-dvds.html#post3701143

So its possible PowerDVD automatically adjusts the videocard to 24hz?

This message was edited 9 times. Last update was at Sep 04. 2010 03:46

Erik [Avatar]
[Post New]
hellow, care to reply pls?
Erik [Avatar]
[Post New]
up...I await your answer