Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
File Broken..??
Carlotta [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 21, 2006 01:34 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I've been working on a movie and put al lot of time in it. I finally finished the movie and put in the last text, suddenly the program shuts down. Because I have had that several times during the making of the movie, I've saved my work regulary. So I start up the PowerDirect 5.0 again, but this time I can not open the file. The message is .... file broken....
Well that's just fine... I've been working on that movie for more than 10 hours.
Anyway... Is there a way to repair the broken file...???
Please let me know
Thanx, Carlotta
grumpysister [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Tennessee Joined: Jul 13, 2006 11:56 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
Carlotta, I hear your pain! Have you sent a message to tech support? Be sure to include any error messages you get. They will get back to you. Sorry I don't have any idea about the "broken file", that's a new one to me. Just an idea but not a proven concept, do you think you could do a system restore to the day before the problem and maybe that would set your file back to normal? Have not tried that before so don't know if it would work. If PowerDirector is shutting down alot, then check to see what other processes are running in the background, antispyware, antivirus, etc. You may have to turn them off while editing. Video editing requires alot of processing power and it may be fighting with these other programs and eventually the others usually win over PowerDirector. I truly hope you can recover all your hard work. Out of Memory!!
Bradley [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 22, 2006 03:02 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Please tell me you got an answer to this problem! It sounds much like the problem I am experiencing. My whole project that I have spent days working on is totally lost. It happened immediately after trying to produce my first video output. Now the project almost loads, then crashes with a memory error.

My big presentation event for this video is for a surprise for a friends baby shower tomorrow and if I can't get help on this by then I am totally screwed. If you have any information that could help, please reply.

Thank you,

Brad
ddyy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 28, 2006 06:16 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
I ran similar issue once but I'm not sure if you're in my case. PD seems not support unicode file/path names well. I suggest you put your files and materials in simple (ascii?) and make sure those path/file names won't be too long (sorry, I have no idea to define "too long")....

For your reference and good luck!
Shannon [Avatar]
Newbie Location: New Orleans Joined: Aug 27, 2006 23:16 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
BOY, do I feel your pain. I've just finished working on a project for a total of UNTOLD hours, and because the program has this problem of periodically "no longer responding" type crashes, I save constantly. Well, after much work, and a lot of anxiety, I go to load the project and I get this message.."File Broken"... What the HECK is a "broken file"... I simply can NOT access all my HOURS and DAYS of work into this project, and have to say I'm one unhappy camper right now. For whatever it's worth, I TRIED the system restore to a previous point... NO LUCK... the thing still says "broken file"... I have no clue what's going on; but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. This is a bug somebody REALLY needs to address as it's a prescription for MAJOR frustration when someone finishes a huge amount of work only to get some succinct message that only says "File is Broken". Cyberlink REALLY needs to tell us what the heck is up with that!

A2K A2K
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi everyone,

Yes, I know exactly how everyone feels about this sort of issue. Now let's get to the root of the problem by providing some additional information for the Techies and see what can be gleaned and resolve this asap.

What was the video file format in use?

What's the file sizes (mb and gb's) of the video files?

Roughly how many transitions were used?

What titling was used?

What was the audio file input - length and file type?

The point of these questions is to get the Techie to replicate the problem on a CL computer and narrow down the cause. An obscure bit of information remembered can often solve a puzzle!

CL tech will also require:
system file (Dxdiag): Windows Explorer --> C:\Program Files --> DirectX --> setup --> Dxdiag --> press "save all information" --> "DxDiag.txt" file created.

I will check to see what's posted here and I will question CL Tech support on this.

Dafydd
Agosta [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Atlanta Joined: Jul 30, 2006 10:23 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
I have editted and produced dozens of videos with PD5 and have had pretty good luck with all them until recently when the problem described in this topic happened to me. The particular project was similar in size to many others I have done in the past.

The size of the MPG video file I was working with is 1,924,270MB. I had a few dozen transistions (mostly Fades), titles and 7-10 smartsound clips inserted in the video.

Not sure how this will help CL Tech Support.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Today, I have contacted CyberLink's Project Manager for PowerDirector and Technical Support management has also been advised.

CL tech will also require:
system file (Dxdiag): Windows Explorer --> C:\Program Files --> DirectX --> setup --> Dxdiag --> press "save all information" --> "DxDiag.txt" file created.

This is basic stuff - not for experienced computer users.
File corruption takes place, we have all experienced this when carrying out some activity on a computer - just be aware that a video file, the editing process is a big big drain on resources.

When saving your work - save it as a NEW FILE each time and not save over an older file. DO NOT move files you have included in an editing process.

I know this is basic stuff - sorry.

Dafydd

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at Sep 01. 2006 15:37

Agosta [Avatar]
[Post New]
When am I supposed to do the following?:

After I get the File Broken message?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
hi Agosta,

The DxDiag.txt file is always asked for by the Tech department - I listed it here so you can make it available (url) when you contact CL.

As a follow up to my posting. I have received a reply from CyberLink - Project Manager, PowerDirector and I'm just waiting for some further information to resolve the "File Broken" issue. I'll post when I know more.

Dafydd
Agosta [Avatar]
[Post New]
I submitted a Tech Support inquiry on this problem.

However, I awas unable to generate the DxDiag.txt file with the following instructions.

I looked in the C:\Program Files directory and there is nothing named DirectX.

I have scanned my hard drive looking for a Dxdiag file, and I found "dxdiag.exe" in the C:\WINDOWS\system32 directory.

Therefore, I did the following and was able to create the file:
Start --> Run --> Dxdiag --> press "save all information" --> Save as "DxDiag.txt"
Agosta [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello.

There is currently a patch in the download area dated 2006-08-02 that says "This patch only applies to end-users who couldn't open the PowerDirector project file (.pds)".

It doesn't say that its for the "File Broken" problem. Is it possible that this will fix it? I am hesistant to apply any patches that aren't specific to a specific problem.

D Bevan - SoftDeko UK has stated that a patch is forthcoming for the "File Broken" problem.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Agosta,

I think I wrote "..the "file broken" issue and is likely to issue a patch shortly."

Made me smile - not a problem, though I wouldn't want to steal CL's thunder on this at all.

Dafydd
Agosta [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok, thanks for the clarification Dafydd.

What about the patch in the download area dated 2006-08-02 that says "This patch only applies to end-users who couldn't open the PowerDirector project file (.pds)".

Do you believe that this patch is a fix for the "broken file" problem?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Agosta,

I don't know.

I'll wait for the reply from CL on the "broken file" issue.

Have you applied the patch or not? Is the "broken file" issue continuing for you and others?

I'm quite happy to follow this up and post info when I get it.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 02. 2006 15:24

Agosta [Avatar]
[Post New]
I applied the patch for users who were unable to open the project file. Afterward, PDR5 would not even start up, complaining of an error in the module that was the patch. I fell back the patch and PDR5 will now start up again.

However, the File Broken problem continues and I have not received a response from CL tech support on my inquiry submitted on 1/9/2006.
Brendan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 01, 2007 07:51 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Unfortunately, I have joined the ranks of those who received the "file broken" error message in Cyberlink's illustrious Power Director program. This is not a mark of distinction. If anyone has solved the problem please let me know. Yes, I have submitted my question to the techies at CL. My movie, for the local film festival, was due yesterday, so a solution by last Sunday would be appreciated.

B Berube B Berube
Ludrick Nerell [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Kingstree, SC Joined: Jan 24, 2008 18:56 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
I've did research myself and found out the best way to resolve this issue is keep saving the file under a different name after every other change in edit mode... Only God Can Judge Me...
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Ludrick ... welcome back, good to read a post from you.

If I recall correctly... and it's a while since I saw this or a similar post the cause of the "file broken" was a corruption of the saved pds' the last 4 lines to be precise.

Open the pds in a text editor like NotePad will show all the data. Opening an uncorrupted pds and comparing the last few lines (4 or 5 I think) with the corrupted pds revealed the differences.

Ludrick - save regularly... good policy. Renaming ...yep, I do that as well. I use a numerical naming system 001 etc. I always start with two "00" as it keeps everything in order.

Dafydd
Ludrick you ought to try PD7... it will enhance your videos even more.
Watch some videos
http://seemyworldonvideo.com/tag/powerdirector/

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 14. 2008 05:22

Ludrick Nerell [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Kingstree, SC Joined: Jan 24, 2008 18:56 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Oh I will...I have another question, but I'll ask it on the appropiate forum... Only God Can Judge Me...