Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can't play SVCD video in Windows Media Player
Bob Mc [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 24, 2009 20:50 Messages: 39 Offline
[Post New]
I'm using PD8, trial version, and I created a new project, about 18 minutes worth. I can preview the project fine, I can watch the project in Media Player while in edit mode fine. However after I burned it to CD I could not watch in in Windows Media Player.

I burned in using SVCD, straight to disc, no menus, no chapters, and I used CD-R cds. I can play it in a standard DVD player fine.

I've actually used PD8 trial before and had no problem, but my system crashed over the weekend and I had to rebuild and now I have this problem, any suggestion. Did I miss something?

Thanks,
Bob PD15
Dell Studio XPS 9100 Desktop
Win 10 x64
32Gb Memory
Intel i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz Quad Core
ATI Radeon HD 5670 -1Gb Mem
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
That is likely a Media Player issue. I have been having tons of trouble with the latest version. I normally use VLC Player for everything. There might be a setting that you can click to have it play that type of file. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bob -

I'd vouch for what Jaime is saying about Windows Media Player... nothing I can do will get it to play 16:9 videos correctly. It's a pain! VLC is a good tool.

The one I use is Windows Media Player Classic HomeCinema, which you can download at http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/ - it doesn't matter what you throw at it, it goes! Iy might take a bit to convince WMP it's not the default player anymore.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Bob Mc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank for the quick replies. I thought it might have something to do with Media Player as well since I installed ver 11 and I don't believe I had that before the system crashed, honestly can't remember though.

Since I made the CD for a friend I don't have the first copy so I wanted to test this out by rolling back Media Player to ver 9 and creating new CD, but now I have a new issue. Seems like I can't burn directly to disc any more, I've coastered 3 CDs in the last hour.

I know it doesn't have anything to do with me rolling back Media Player cause I lost the first CD before I did that. Every time I create disc it seems to work, says "burn complete", but it won't attempt to read it in Windows or in a DVD player now. In Windows it says its its a blank disc, but you can tell by looking at the phyical CD data has been written to it.

I haven't try producing it yet and then using Nero but honetly I'd perfering going straight to disc, it worked before, just 24 hours ago, no reason why it shouldn't again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Bob PD15
Win 10 x64
32Gb Memory
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Bob -

You have a multitude of issues happening there. Not being too familiar with SVCD, I hunted around and found this... http://www.videohelp.com/svcd - it may be of some help.

You're right - the burning issue has nothing to do with Media Player. Since you're having trouble with it, I'd definitely suggest creating a folder (within the Burn Module) & using Nero or imgburn to make your discs. The cause of the issue isn't clear from what you've said.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Just to throw something else into the mix. If SVCD is mpeg2, when I produce my videos to BD mpeg2 1920X1080 I cannot get them to play with either Windows Media player or Media player Classic. they play the sound but no video.

They play well though with VLC or Splash lite. One thing though with VLC fast moving objects tend to show a combing effect like you get with interlaced video. Splash lite shows the same video normally with no combing effect.

By the way if you have a TV tuner in your computer Splash lite does the same fantastic job for TV quality as it does for normal videos.

Cheers

Robert S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
I haven't made an SVCD for years. It should play in Media Player without too much of a problem except the squashed look of a SVCD.

Check your graphic card drivers.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
Bob Mc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony..I belive your right, I do have a multitude of issues happening here. Last night I did the produce option and the attempted to burn using Nero, but it would fail each time I tried with an error saying something about PVM or something to that nature, it never appeared to write to the CD.

I'm wondering now if the project is corrpurt or something. Maybe I did produce option wrong as well, I know you mention something about, "creating a folder (within the Burn Module)", not sure what you mean by Burn module there. I may just try imgburn option or just recreate a new project to see where the issue might be.

When I rebuilt the system I installed the latest graphic card drivers.

Oh, the reason i'm doing SVCD, was because I'm taping the local Football games for the HS coach, projects are less than 20 mins. Didn't want to waste all the space on a DVD or spend the etc money, guess maybe I should have..

We've got two more games left, and I was going to try to put together a DVD of the season, but at this rate i'm its not going to happen, well not with PD8.

Any all help is greatly appricated..

Thanks,
Bob
PD15
Win 10 x64
32Gb Memory
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
The ability to play SVCD is highly dependent on the player hardware. I can't imagine why you wouldn't just want to go with a Standard DVD format, if not just for compatibility reasons. Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
Bob Mc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok good news I belive I've got the original issue resloved. I found a previous CD that I created, using the SVCD format, straight to disc, using PD8 prior to my system crashing that I know worked on my PC and in a DVD player. When I attempted to watch it in my PC, using Media Player 9 it still wouldn't play, however I noticed that it was saying "connecting" at the bottom of the Media player window. After a few minutes of tinkering with it I found the "Enhanced Playback Experience" section in options. Basically it was trying to retrieve one or all of the following: media information, update music files, Acquire licensing etc. When I unchecked all of that the vedio played. I upgraded to Media Player 11 and again the video played fine.

So I will go back and re work the issue no be able to burn straight to disc or burn via Nero. I will also try using a DVD vs SVCD format to see I have more luck, if not I'll start a new topic.

Thanks for the help and suggestion..

Bob PD15
Win 10 x64
32Gb Memory
Bob Mc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just an another quick update, I created another disc last night using the Create Disc option in PD8 using a DVD format this time and using the same project I've been using and had no problems viewing on my PC or in my DVD player.

I didn't realize how quickly the DVD burn completed compared to the SVCD process, so obviously I will start using DVDs going forward.

Trying to save a few bucks using CDs is not worth the extra time it takes to create the CD versions or the hassle I've had to deal with. Not sure what I'll do with all these left over CDs, but I'm sure my teenagers will find something.. :

Thanks again for all your help.
Bob PD15
Win 10 x64
32Gb Memory
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I always watch the local Staples office supply. They frequently have special buys and I can get good, name brand DVD's in the bulk containers for little more than CD's. Then I put the finished DVD in a paper sleeve. No one has complained so far. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM