Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DVD won't play
Brooke2424 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 08, 2009 18:16 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
I am using Maxell DVD-R discs. I have no problems burning the video on to the discs however they won't play. I have 2 different brands of DVD players. The one player is a Sony which I understand is a little picky. On that player disc reads dirty. But on the Insignia DVD player the audio comes through but no video. I have no clue where to go from here...help me! The software I am using is PowerDirector 8 ultra.

I have tried every different way to burn that DVD video disc type allows me to. My next step is to just use regular Maxell CD-R. But that isn't what I really want to do. What's the point in making a DVD if you have to put it on a CD.

*note: I have used Maxell discs forever and never had a problem before. This is however the first time I have used PD8. Also the DVD works in my PC but that could be due to a number of reasons.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 09. 2009 19:31

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I assume the steps you are doing are something like this.
1) Go to Create Disc tab
2) Under Menu Preferences select "No Menu" for now
3) Under Disc Preferences select, DVD, 4.7GB
4) Select the burn icon and check Burn to disc
5) Burn away to a unformated disc

If something different than above, maybe you can get some help if you document a little more what steps you have done. You mention a video CD or VCD, this is very different than a DVD when it comes to stand alone players.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 09. 2009 20:26

Brooke2424 [Avatar]
[Post New]
DVDs Im using are Maxell DVD-R 4.7GB up to 16x 2hrs SP mode

My steps:
1) Go to create disc
2) Disc format - I chose DVD video @ 4.7
3) Video and Audio settings - I've tried widescreen 16:9 that didn't work so then I tried regular 4:3 and still a no go. I have also tried every different quality available too. And then chose Dobly Digital 2 channels with living room surround sound. The sound comes through fine. Just no video.
4) Click burn - DVD burns successfully!

Then I pop in DVD-R into both DVD players and like I said reads dirty disc and the other plays the audio but no video. I don't know what else I can tell you that would help you help me. I made the video and burned it I just can't get it to play correctly. On the front of the Insignia DVD player it reads all the different formats and I have them all.

When I was talking about trying cds I meant Maxell CD-R or even Memorex. That won't work either they won't hold enough. I figured that!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 09. 2009 20:54

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
About how old are your players? I've had several players that are picky with Dolby but work fine with LPCM for audio. You might try that. Also the menu is ALWAYS a sticky issue with PD and why I suggested "no menu" as a start. You might also have a look at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers with the models of your players and see what other users have experienced.

Jeff
Brooke2424 [Avatar]
[Post New]
When you say 'no menu' what are you referring to? I don't see anything about a menu.

My Insignia is a year old and the Sony I don't know but I have done some research today and found out that the Sony is just too picky and it probably will never read my DVD as clean.

I know there is no problem with using Dolby cuz my audio is fine. When I put the DVD into the Insignia player I can hear the audio it the pictures/video I can't see.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Do not define a DVD menu. In the "Menu Preferences" tab of the Create Disc module, select "No menu" from the list of templates.

Jeff
[Thumb - nomenu.gif]
 Filename
nomenu.gif
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
71 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
259 time(s)
Brooke2424 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Oh I see what you mean. Now by doing that will that delete the menu option from the DVD?
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
It will create a DVD that will play instantly when put into a stand alone player. Since you are in debug mode, it just eliminates one more potential issue.
I would definitely burn a LPCM audio even though you say the audio from your DVD plays fine.

Jeff
Brooke2424 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I really appreciate your help! With that said I did burn a copy with no menu and same thing occurs. Audio but no video. I will attempt the LPCM one. Cross your fingers!
Brooke2424 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well that too did not work. I really am at a loss. I can't believe that I get the whole video done and its amazing and now I can't even show it. Sometimes I really hate computers!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Brooke -

Jeff's advice has been spot on. You seem to be going round in circles a bit.

Quote: Also the DVD works in my PC but that could be due to a number of reasons.

So - you've successfully burnt a DVD that plays in your PC's disc drive... but will not work properly on your other DVD players. Is that right?

If so - the data has been recorded on the DVD but your players cannot read it, for whatever reason. That would indicate to me that your problem lies with the DVD players & their incompatability with the disc you burnt.

That would mean - if you keep following the same process - you'll end up with many discs that will do the same thing.

Let us know how you go with Jeff's suggestion.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Brooke2424 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok so on the front of my Insignia player it lists...DVD/CD/CD-R/CD-RW/DVD-R/DVD+R. Now given that the types of discs I am using are all listed here I see no reason why my DVD player will not read them. Am I right? Plus I have another DVD player (Sony) and in the manual it lists the discs I am using as compatible.

All I have accomplished is wasting a $23 spindle of DVDs.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 10. 2009 10:36

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Been there too, I think I need to start drinking so I can use all my DVD coasters.

If it was me, I'd probably go back to simple debug basics like PART H in the following http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page I'd also use a different code to burn the PD8 DVD folder to disc and see if that helps. ImgBurn is good and free. I'd also take this very basic DVD burn to a friend and see if they can play it on there standalone player.

I burn about 50 discs a week of PD7 or PD8 projects during our sport seasons. I have a few players every season that their standalone DVD player has issues. However, they can always play it in the computer. Not to promote brands, but I have settled on Verbatim DVD+R as being rather successful for me. Most issues are usually with players older than about 5 yrs.

Sorry, can't be of much more help than that.

Jeff
Brooke2424 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I give up. I've never had this much trouble before using any other editing software. Only reason why I got PD8 is my other software wasn't compatible with Windows Vista. I had no problem using Roxio My DVD. I just wish I didn't have this much trouble.

Thanks for all the help!!! Wish we could have figured it out though.
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Is it possible that you can borrow a friends DVD player just to test. Maybe you just happen to have two players that don't work for whatever reason. I've used Memorex DVD+R and Memorex DVD+RW's and nave never had problems with the five or so DVD players I've tested. I have observed that my older player had lower quality video than my newer one which is an Insignia like yours.

You can also try burning to a DVD folder and use imgburn which was suggested earlier. It's a free program and it works well. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT