Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What Hardware is best to buy for PowerDirector?
Seyed Mohammad Ali [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 23, 2011 06:45 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Every new PowerDirector come with many good new possibilities but what hardware can use these new facilities best!?

What I miss in Cyberlink site and Forum is clear technical info about PowerDirector, how it work, does it use on CPU graphic or Graphic card or both!?

If I want to buy a new PC to get better result of PowerDirector what should I buy!? What type of PC work best with PowerDirector, Intel, AMD or Mac?

There is need for a complete Hardware section in Forum, which in there be info about new PC from different manufactures, new Processors, Chipset, mainboards, Graphic cards, Ram, etc.

Some buy a complete PC. There must be info about which PC work best with PowerDirector because mostly buy only a new PC because they need a new PC for PowerDirector. I bought this i7 Medion PC only because of PowerDirector, and it was good for old PowerDirector 9 and 10 and mp4 but now I need a better PC for HD and above.

Some want to build their own supper PC from the parts which work best with PowerDirector. What about Intel X series, what is best for PowerDirector more clock speed or more core!? what chipset x299 which does not support on CPU graphics or Z370!? It is Cyberlink whom must provide such infor for its users.

Minimum requirments may is enough for some softwares or even games but, a VideoEditor software must as well inform about what hardware give the best result

Once games was good to show new graphic cards abilities, but today it is many graphic card companies whom try to build a better card only for some specific games because that sell. why PowerDirector must not become so!? if manufactures become aware what product sell best at mass of PowerDirctor users they try to tune their products to become more suitable for PowerDirector users, isn't it. A good technical info in Cyberlink site, a good Hardware section in Forum can close us to this goal.

I use YouTube a lot to know about new products, new CPU, motherboard or etc. It is very good because in few minutes you get clue about what is best, what is not for what you want, what is ..., Many of them test these new products with games, I think there are some in YouTube whom like to test powerDirector with new PC, CPU, Graphic cards,... if cyberlink give them necessary materials and they found their effort is popular at powerDirector users

As you see I'm standing with my need for a better PC only for powerDirector and I don't know what should I buy or consider, and I don't think I'm the only one. Many of us can use such info to get ourselves a more suitable PC for PowerDirector.

Best regards
Seyed
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
The challenge is that there are so many possible configurations out there and so many different graphics cards, with new ones being introduced all the time, there is no simple answer for this question.

Particularly since you also have to consider what format and resolution of video you plan to edit and how long your projects will be with how intensive special effects.

But if you want a sort of simple answer, have a look at this benchmark page.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

If the processor you're looking at rates a 6500-8000 or higher, you're in good shape as far as high-def editng. For 4K, I'd look at more of a rating of 10,000 or higher.

Now that's, as I say, a simple benchmark. It doesn't consider the added kick you'll get from a good graphics card or big RAM load. You certainly don't need some gamer graphics system. But a processor is like a car's engine and a good graphics card is like a high-performance transmission. That's not a perfect metaphor, but it makes a point.

But your processor is the foundation of a good system. And, particularly with consumer programs like this, a good foundation makes everything else an easier choice.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 28. 2018 08:07

[Post New]
Thanks for your response and guidance Steven. I look at CPU as the most important and as PC engine too.

In case of what I want to produce by PowerDirector. Let's say whom upgrade to newest version of PowerDirector like to try the new quality and facilities that come with the new version, which in now days is 4K and 360. However in general most of cams, software's and hardware's whom claim they give highest format and quality in practice can not be used for that high quality but usually they or good for the quality before. For example a 4K cam or other product may can not used for serious 4K but normally it is good enough for 2K or HD.

In case of buying a new PC. Always next newest/best PC is better investment because, newest PC is always over priced, while next best has become cheaper to get sold out.

Thanks for the benchmark, I know it is very good site, but one must know what he need before he be able to use the benchmark to find what fit him best.

My first goal of this letter was getting Cyberlink to make a hardware section in their site and give a good technical info about their software and what hardware platform it is build on. With such info we know at least what type of PC fit us best. Cyberlink whom claim to be one of the best low price video editing software must have such info and section in its site. It is true that PowerDirector is only about $100 but when it cost a new $2/3000 or more PC, that make it Cyberlink's responsibility to at least guide people to use their $2/3000 on right PC.

In my own case problem is the same

1) what type of PC, OS, and other software PowerDirector got build on?

What PC I buy

2) what type of PC, Mac, Intel or AMD. Intel has on chip Graphic, AMD has no on chip graphic

3) CPU: more core or more Mhz clock rate

4) Ram: 32GB or 64GB

5) Graphic card: Nvidia or AMD Radeon
StevenG [Avatar]
[Post New]
This is where it gets a bit challenging, Seyed. No one can recommend a configuration for you. There is no perfect configuration.

It's best to just do some shopping online. Look at computers you can afford -- and then check the benchmarks for their processors and, if you'd like, their graphics cards.

My new system cost me about $600 (not including the monitor). The processor rates a 10,000 on the benchmark tests and its got 166 gig of RAM and a modest but capable graphics card (a 2 gig GeForce 730).

That's about the right price and the right amount of power for my purposes.

So it's much easier to look for a machine that fits your budget and then check the benchmarks to make sure its powerful enough than it is have take some recommended specs and try to find a computer that includes them all.

My opinion anyway.
[Post New]
thanks for your opinion Steven but I expect more of Cyberlink.

I know powerDirector since its 2nd version and was customer since 5th. version. I know they come with a good answer to all my questions and if they don't, No, I won't risk $2000 just to test my chance in buying a new PC. The i7 that I have now is good for all that I need expect HD producing. thanks anyway
StevenG [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm not CyberLink and this is a user to user forum.

But I hope my real world experience is at least of some help.
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
2) what type of PC, Mac, Intel or AMD. Intel has on chip Graphic, AMD has no on chip graphic
AMD has released Ryzen APUs with the new VEGA GPU, ie. AMD Ryzen™ 5 2400G with Radeon™ RX Vega 11 Graphics

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 29. 2018 20:21

Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
[Post New]
For video editing the best CPU is Intel. Testing proves this over and over.
For video card - even the Intel GPU is fine, AMD or nvidia are slightly better, but don't need to get the top of the line, the video decoder/encoders are the same across the families of GPU.
[Post New]
Thanks Russell. Yes Ryzen is one of best priced CPU and RX Vega 11 sound to be very good but expensive Graphic card. It is a good choice if PowerDirector be a Graphic card based product.

Russell what I miss is mostly knowledge about PowerDirector itself. If we knew that we could easier see what type of PC we should look for. Recently I saw about Intel i7-8086. Its name is in honor of old 8086. It can 4K graphic, over clocked to 5Ghz and is under $500
[Post New]
Thanks Nice, In my actual old i7 PC PowerDirector is on CPU graphic too. What we need is a Cyberlink guy to tell us about PowerDirector.

Xeon is most high end CPU but once I tried to build a PC of it but it was difficult, because it is a server CPU and its main boards are mainly build to be used in a server.
StevenG [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don't mean to sound rude but -- what exactly do you want a CyberLink guy to tell you, Seyed?

As I've said, no one can say simply use this processor and this graphics card and all will be well. There are so many considerations including your budget (Do you want to spend $500, $1000 or $3000?) and what type of video you're editing.

But there are literally hundreds of configurations that will run this program, with prices changing and new technology being introduced all the time. There is no one perfect one that every single person in the world should be using.
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks Russell. Yes Ryzen is one of best priced CPU and RX Vega 11 sound to be very good but expensive Graphic card.
I was just pointing out an error in your earlier statement [AMD has no on chip graphic]. AMD has made CPU WITH GPU integrated for many years. AMD just refers to them as APU. The AMD Ryzen™ 5 2400G with integrated (on the chip) Radeon™ RX Vega 11 Graphics is only $162 US which is relatively inexpensive for CPU AND GPU. This APU is a quad core with 8 threads and should be good at video editing. No idea if PD supports the new Vega 11 GPU though.

Power Director should work on any Windows computer. How well it performs can be subjective depending on what you are doing with it. As StevenG points out, there is no one configuration well suited for everyone.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jul 02. 2018 08:40

Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
[Post New]
Steven, I don't want Cyberlink to tell me what to buy, I want Cyberlink to say about their own software but I may used wrong question to open this discution
[Post New]
Thanks Russell, thanks for informing me, yes you have right. First that you said
about Ryzen, I look internet for Ryzen and Vega separately and I found a big 3
fan Graphic card which cost about $1000. But Ryzen with integrated Vega APU make
Ryzen the best priced gaming CPU. and I think with about $1000 it is possible to
make good PC of it.

But about compatibly of PowerDirector, yes every software works in every
environment that they say it work, but my experiences say programs work always
best on that type of PC that they got build on. Therefore I look for a Cyberlink
guy to tell us about their software. But as I said to Steven I may started the
discussion with a wrong question.
AlS
Senior Member Location: South Africa Joined: Sep 23, 2014 18:07 Messages: 290 Offline
[Post New]
Quote For video editing the best CPU is Intel. Testing proves this over and over.
For video card - even the Intel GPU is fine, AMD or nvidia are slightly better, but don't need to get the top of the line, the video decoder/encoders are the same across the families of GPU.

Hi all - Been a long time since I was last on the forum so please forgive me if I've missed something.
Still using PDR14 but finally moving to 4K so it's time to upgrade.
Footage is H.264 (AVC) and H.265 (HEVC). May also include 4K 8 bit HDR later which is now available in newer DSLR cameras and UHD TVs. Output 4K AVC and HEVC.
I'm an Intel fan and planned to go i7-8700K 6 core with an Asus Prime Z370-A m/board overclocked to 5ghz a few months ago but might wait for the new i7-9700K 8 core due in Oct with the 390 chipset.
The GPU Acceleration thread debating best discrete GPU cards is now closed. I have a GTX960 4GB card.
My question is how does the Intel Iris iGPU perform for timeline decoding/playback and encoding 4K perform in PDR16. It may not be a great gaming GPU but it does have some powerful 4K hardware encoding/decoding capabilities including HDR since Kaby Lake 7th gen CPUs.
The Kaby Lake-U/Y GPU - Media Capabilities
Are there any advanatges to using both the Intel and Nvidia GPUs or will they conflict?
All comments welcome. Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 14. 2018 09:04

Power Director 13&14 Ultimate, Photo Director 6, Audio Dir, Pwr2Go 10
Win 10 64, Intel MB DH87MC, Intel i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16Gb DDR3 1600, 128Gb SSD, 2x1Tb WDBlue 7200rpmSATA6, Intel 4600 GPU, Gigabyte G1 GTX960 4GB, LG BluRay Writer