Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Graininess
Bryan624 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 13, 2015 17:27 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I am working on video that was converted from 16mm (1950's - 60's) to VHS and (by me) to computer files. I have tried cleaning them up using the tools menu, but the end results, while still better than the original, are still annoyingly grainy. It would be nice to 'heal' the video and get better quality. I am an amature user, so any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I am working on video that was converted from 16mm (1950's - 60's) to VHS and (by me) to computer files. I have tried cleaning them up using the tools menu, but the end results, while still better than the original, are still annoyingly grainy. It would be nice to 'heal' the video and get better quality. I am an amature user, so any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
16 mm is a small image to start with, It was then captured as 720x480 (VHS format). VHS tape only has a resolution of about 400 lines at maximum.

I would expect the video to be grainy. If the 16 mm film was captured in high resolution format, you would not have grain. There are capture devices that can capture 16 mm film one HD frame at a time. (Those devices are not cheap, they cost thousands of dollars).

Search for "moviestuff, LLC" on Google.com. Look for Retroscan Universal. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I am working on video that was converted from 16mm (1950's - 60's) to VHS and (by me) to computer files. I have tried cleaning them up using the tools menu, but the end results, while still better than the original, are still annoyingly grainy. It would be nice to 'heal' the video and get better quality. I am an amature user, so any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have converted 8mm film which obviously is super grainy. The tools in PD that consistently helped to "polish" up the old footage were (in fix/enhance tab) Video Denoise, Video Enhancement, Video Stabilizer.

I should point out that in the conversion process I projected the 8mm colour film onto a projection screen which was being recorded on a camcorder in 1920x1080 HD mode. While grainy nearly everyone was able to recognized individuals 15-20 years younger. Win 10, i7
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]

I have converted 8mm film which obviously is super grainy. The tools in PD that consistently helped to "polish" up the old footage were (in fix/enhance tab) Video Denoise, Video Enhancement, Video Stabilizer.

I should point out that in the conversion process I projected the 8mm colour film onto a projection screen which was being recorded on a camcorder in 1920x1080 HD mode. While grainy nearly everyone was able to recognized individuals 15-20 years younger.
HDedit,

Using a camera to film the projector screen is one way, however how good your results are depends on so many factors, The actual projector screen (pattern, color), The lighting in the room, best no room lights. The angle of the camera to the projector screen. The distance of the projection. A small image on the screen can be better for the video camera and the resolution of the projection. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.